Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2022, 11:51 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
this forum existed in the early 90's? wow
2013 playoffs. The 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates made the playoffs 3 times between 2013 and 2015.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:54 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
2013 playoffs. The 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates made the playoffs 3 times between 2013 and 2015.
The lost a playoff series, and only made the wild card game twice and and lost twice.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
And yet it’s gotten worse. Just because something has been going on for a long time doesn’t mean something shouldn’t be done about it. It’s called changing for the better. Unfortunately, folks that live amongst such losers cry they want something done, but are too weak to actually do something about it, don’t want police in their area/s, and the community leaders and powers that be talk a big game, but don’t actually do anything about it…and when the criminals do get caught they need to be put away for life, but folks cry and defend against that, too. Lack of consequences is a huge problem.
I never once said we shouldn't change things for the better. However, I look at such problems from a historical perspective. I also think about this. For many people, the easiest thing to do is leave those areas when the time comes.

I also think about this. Lack of consequences will embolden such behavior. At the same time, many people are of the "shoot and ask questions later" mentality. Short term thinking. Anger and short term thinking. Even with consequences, many people won't think about that until it's too late. And some people are just so hateful, angry, and full of hopelessness, that they don't care. We have deeper issues that neither political party is capable of solving.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The lost a playoff series, and only made the wild card game twice and and lost twice.
That's not the point. My point is that I've been at the Pittsburgh forum before. One of the first times I remember coming to this forum was when the Pirates made the playoffs for the first time in 2 decades.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I never once said we shouldn't change things for the better. However, I look at such problems from a historical perspective. I also think about this. For many people, the easiest thing to do is leave those areas when the time comes.

I also think about this. Lack of consequences will embolden such behavior. At the same time, many people are of the "shoot and ask questions later" mentality. Short term thinking. Anger and short term thinking. Even with consequences, many people won't think about that until it's too late. And some people are just so hateful, angry, and full of hopelessness, that they don't care. We have deeper issues that neither political party is capable of solving.
Right, because it’s always been that way is an excuse you often use. Don’t like what’s happened or happening do something about it instead of throwing one’s arms up and saying it’s always been like that. Many lousy areas have transformed themselves by doing just that.

Nah, the consequences of more solitary confinement, more life without parole, more capital punishment will have folks thinking ahead. Continuing to let these losers walk the streets after spinning through the revolving doors of justice isn’t a deterrent.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
That's not the point. My point is that I've been at the Pittsburgh forum before. One of the first times I remember coming to this forum was when the Pirates made the playoffs for the first time in 2 decades.
And you’ve been here more recently. You’re simply trying to fit the narrative about black folks leaving Pittsburgh for greener pastures, when sOOO many folks have left Pittsburgh for greener pastures.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
And you’ve been here more recently. You’re simply trying to fit the narrative about black folks leaving Pittsburgh for greener pastures, when sOOO many folks have left Pittsburgh for greener pastures.
But in this thread about murders, Black people are being mentioned. Why not mention Black people leaving Pittsburgh?

Old 08-17-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
But in this thread about murders, Black people are being mentioned. Why not mention Black people leaving Pittsburgh?
Nah, you’re simply complaining about Pittsburgh. What does black people performing the majority of murders have to do with black folks leaving Pittsburgh for greener pastures when so many folks have left Pittsburgh for greener pastures?

Old 08-17-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Nah, you’re simply complaining about Pittsburgh. What does black people performing the majority of murders have to do with black folks leaving Pittsburgh for greener pastures when so many folks have left Pittsburgh for greener pastures?
No!!! I am bringing this up for a few reasons. It is not my intent to complain about Pittsburgh. In fact, I see Pittsburgh has having alot of potential.

I am saying THIS: If a larger portion of Pittsburgh's Black people was middle class/upper middle class, there would be far less crime.

I think about this. As you know, I am on the Politics & Other Controversies forum. The only reason I even know about this forum is because I was seeking other places to live in, outside of the South. And if you knew me from 2007-2011, I had no problem complaining about the South. But I got over that.

I notice alot of criticism of Black people and then I also see a pattern. I think about the places where I seem to hear the most complaints about Black people and crime. St. Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia are among the top places that come up. Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are very striking to me in terms of this topic. I start wondering about other factors going on in those cities, including Pittsburgh. Don't think Pittsburgh is the only city I've talked about. I've discussed Milwaukee alot. St Louis too.

While plenty of people have left for greener pastures, I hear alot of comments regarding Black people and violent crime, as far as Pittsburgh goes. My thing is this. As more Black middle class people leave, guess who is staying behind? The portion of the Black population where alot of violent crime is coming from.

I also think about this. Pittsburgh was lauded as one of the most livable cities in America. To me this says "Pittsburgh is turning a corner and doing better for itself. Things are turning around". But then I hear about Pittsburgh being one of the worst cities for Black Americans (Milwaukee and Minneapolis too). I'm left wondering what's going on.

Old 08-17-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
No!!! I am bringing this up for a few reasons. It is not my intent to complain about Pittsburgh. In fact, I see Pittsburgh has having alot of potential.

I am saying THIS: If a larger portion of Pittsburgh's Black people was middle class/upper middle class, there would be far less crime.

I think about this. As you know, I am on the Politics & Other Controversies forum. The only reason I even know about this forum is because I was seeking other places to live in, outside of the South. And if you knew me from 2007-2011, I had no problem complaining about the South. But I got over that.

I notice alot of criticism of Black people and then I also see a pattern. I think about the places where I seem to hear the most complaints about Black people and crime. St. Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia are among the top places that come up. Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are very striking to me in terms of this topic. I start wondering about other factors going on in those cities, including Pittsburgh. Don't think Pittsburgh is the only city I've talked about. I've discussed Milwaukee alot. St Louis too.

While plenty of people have left for greener pastures, I hear alot of comments regarding Black people and violent crime, as far as Pittsburgh goes. My thing is this. As more Black middle class people leave, guess who is staying behind? The portion of the Black population where alot of violent crime is coming from.

I also think about this. Pittsburgh was lauded as one of the most livable cities in America. To me this says "Pittsburgh is turning a corner and doing better for itself. Things are turning around". But then I hear about Pittsburgh being one of the worst cities for Black Americans (Milwaukee and Minneapolis too). I'm left wondering what's going on.
Your first post had you complaining about Pittsburgh and Milwaukee in regards to black folks, neither of which has to do with blacks committing murders.

Except the murder rate by black people has been plentiful, even before folks you describe moving away. Perhaps instead of trying to rationalize it, admit it’s a problem and attempt to do something about it.

You hear things yet you still thought Rendell was Governor, lol. And they’re Dem cities so that’s no surprise.

Perhaps folks are overreacting, as it’s been the most livable city more than once and often at the top of the list, and always mentioned is how cheap it is as because cheap is certainly its biggest draw. Perhaps you should actually visit the areas you’re commenting about to see for yourself, then you could actually know what you’re talking about versus hearing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh