Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2022, 12:55 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm only ageist when it comes to NIMBYism. I hate it when old homeowners who have owned their properties for many years and who have had many years to acquire and hoard wealth think that they can "dictate" who can or can't live around them or what nearby properties owners can or can't do with their properties (within reason). This nation has a housing shortage at the moment, and that has been well-documented. We are millions short nationally on housing units. Developers want to ameliorate that by bringing new condos and apartments to the market, yet "I got mine, so s-crew you" NIMBY older homeowners are saying "no" everywhere because they are worried about trivial related issues.

I would be elated if a developer wanted to plop a new residential high-rise with a mix of market-rate and affordably-priced units here in the middle of Marshall-Shadeland. The neighborhood would become denser, which would create more pedestrian activity (potential witnesses), which should, in turn, cut down on the teenagers shooting at each other all the time. These new people will also patronize existing neighborhood businesses and will encourage new ones to open, which will, in turn, boost my property value. The yuppies moving into this new building would bolster the city's wage tax revenue receipts, which would, in turn, permit the city to make more infrastructure investments and quality-of-life improvements.

I was very disappointed that Mayor Gainey sided with the NIMBY's in forcing Walnut Capital to scale back their project in Oakland as being "too dense". Seems like the mayor himself is "too dense" if he doesn't realize that inhibiting new housing starts will only further exacerbate the housing shortage that he supposedly is aware of.
I agree on so many levels here. Pittsburgh could grow, but the powers that be won't let it. We could use some big housing developments. The more units would lower demand and the dumpier places would have to come down in rent and all of a sudden affordable housing happens. I wish they would just keep building and building. I was talking to a BIG contractor that does in fact build large scale places and he stated he and everyone else is busy and materials can be had now. There is no reason not to get more housing going on all fronts in the city limits.

Sincerely,
GenX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 01:03 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
NIMBYism is not a left-right issue, and is indeed more of a generational thing than anything. Older homeowners (whether liberal or conservative) tend to oppose any significant changes to their neighborhood, while younger people are open to new development.

The thing I've never understood though is if you're a homeowner, density is actually good for your bottom line. Housing is an asset, and unrestricted assets are better than restricted assets. Your property is worth more, for example, if you have the option of building an accessory unit in your backyard and renting it out. And those undivided single-family houses a block off of Walnut Street sell for top dollar for a reason.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:07 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
NIMBYism is not a left-right issue, and is indeed more of a generational thing than anything. Older homeowners (whether liberal or conservative) tend to oppose any significant changes to their neighborhood, while younger people are open to new development.

The thing I've never understood though is if you're a homeowner, density is actually good for your bottom line. Housing is an asset, and unrestricted assets are better than restricted assets. Your property is worth more, for example, if you have the option of building an accessory unit in your backyard and renting it out. And those undivided single-family houses a block off of Walnut Street sell for top dollar for a reason.
Probably more left don't want growth it in the city as the city is overwhelmingly left. The developers are probably mostly right leaning as they like progress.

Enjoy.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:28 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Probably more left don't want growth it in the city as the city is overwhelmingly left. The developers are probably mostly right leaning as they like progress.

Enjoy.
It's not like if you wanted to build a new apartment building in Upper St. Clair it would be any easier though.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:35 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not like if you wanted to build a new apartment building in Upper St. Clair it would be any easier though.
True, but in the city one would expect it to be dense and the more people the better as it ends up creating more amenities and a higher standard of living. It is hard to get things going in Pittsburgh. Look at the Penguins site. WOW, talk about forever a parking lot.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
That’s why the youngest Xers, millennials, and z generation need to ban together and move things forward. The boomers already lived most of their life. Reaped the benefits and wealth put in place by the greatest and silent generations. Giving little in return. But they put a stranglehold on things because they think they are entitled forever.

And this isn’t everybody( ie copanut) but it is a vast majority of boomers with this mindset. Entitled and will crap on everybody else. Everybody under age 50 is getting slapped down by the boomers. Time to stand up
Juuuussssst a little bit overboard. Most of my boomers friends grew up blue collar and worked very hard. I will be the first to admit that times are tougher on young kids today. Old Fart Alert: I remember driving to Spring Break in '72 with 100 bucks in my pocket and coming back with 20. Gas was 23 cents, hotels were 10 bucks a night, beer was 7 for a dollar. Fortunate to have manual labor jobs in the summer to pay for college and graduate debt free. Sounds like sci-fi when I read it now.

Fighting among age groups is just what the rich want.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:19 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
That’s why the youngest Xers, millennials, and z generation need to ban together and move things forward. The boomers already lived most of their life. Reaped the benefits and wealth put in place by the greatest and silent generations. Giving little in return. But they put a stranglehold on things because they think they are entitled forever.

And this isn’t everybody( ie copanut) but it is a vast majority of boomers with this mindset. Entitled and will crap on everybody else. Everybody under age 50 is getting slapped down by the boomers. Time to stand up
Plenty of jobs available, just gotta pick oneself up and get to work. Don’t like your pay, better yourself and make more money. Millions of boomers retired due to shutting it down and you’re still complaining about them. Thinking they should retire so younger folks can supposedly take their jobs is the definition of entitlement.

Lol at giving little in return. They pay income taxes, patronize businesses, etc…

Everybody under 50? You should really speak for yourself. I retired before I was 50 and had no problem amongst the boomers. Thinking you’re going to prosper because boomers retire is great stuff, lol.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:53 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
True, but in the city one would expect it to be dense and the more people the better as it ends up creating more amenities and a higher standard of living. It is hard to get things going in Pittsburgh. Look at the Penguins site. WOW, talk about forever a parking lot.
FNB Tower Construction by William Pipkins, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 08-15-2022, 01:42 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Cool, thanks for sharing. I don’t get by there anymore. Glad they are moving forward.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:37 AM

1,170 posts, read 535,924 times
the choice is yours - a 5 bed 3.5 bath in shadyside for $1.15 million, or a 2 bed 2.5 bath in shadyside for $1.15 million

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh