Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 04:08 AM

32,622 posts, read 77,712,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Standards obviously differ. “City hoods”, filth, crime, etc…, is simply normal for some. In folks defense, they don’t know anything else.
I wouldn't call it "normal". Am I thrilled that my own neighborhood is a mess? No. Can I do anything about it? No. Our mayor doesn't even know our neighborhood exists.

All I do is walk around picking up litter for hours per week because that's the only thing I feel like I can do. Thankfully a $3,000,000 grant is going to help rehabilitate an old school in my neighborhood into yuppie apartments, so maybe things will start turning around once they start moving in.

I am aware neighborhoods like mine should not be considered "normal". I just spent a weekend visiting friends in Centre County, PA. Bellefonte and State College along with their surrounding townships are incredible---nearly no litter or illegal dumping; good infrastructure; no violence; etc. THAT should be the standard our city's neighborhoods strive to attain.

Old 02-21-2023, 04:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I wouldn't call it "normal". Am I thrilled that my own neighborhood is a mess? No. Can I do anything about it? No. Our mayor doesn't even know our neighborhood exists.

All I do is walk around picking up litter for hours per week because that's the only thing I feel like I can do. Thankfully a $3,000,000 grant is going to help rehabilitate an old school in my neighborhood into yuppie apartments, so maybe things will start turning around once they start moving in.

I am aware neighborhoods like mine should not be considered "normal". I just spent a weekend visiting friends in Centre County, PA. Bellefonte and State College along with their surrounding townships are incredible---nearly no litter or illegal dumping; good infrastructure; no violence; etc. THAT should be the standard our city's neighborhoods strive to attain.
Good to hear about the old school building. Love when buildings are saved from destruction.

I have been trying to understand how we can go from such a good trajectory 6 years ago, to a complete disgrace of a city. Well other than the wealthy East End of course that is really our city center along with Oakland. Our new trend is pretty amazing. Filth and crime. Simple businesses closing down. It is pretty rare a McDonalds closes, but the only one downtown couldn't make it? Is there another city in the US that doesn't have a McDonalds in the entire downtown? I don't eat at them, but it is interesting.

It seems our new trend is headed for a Homewood style, or East Hills around the abandoned shopping center. Just a depressing mess. There are just so many people that litter and don't care about anything that I don't see a change coming anytime soon. Our state has poor leadership and so does our city. Gone are the Murphy days. He was a real go getter and pushed our city in a better direction. He pushed the North Side and did make a difference in the lower areas at least. Sadly the big old homes on Perry Hilltop and up there are forgotten, unless you have a great view on Perrysville or a few other streets like Clayton.

The focus for most mayors isn't the bad so much, it is more to make sure the wealthy East Enders are happy. They vote. Downtown is still meaningless. Not many voters. I'm glad I don't have to go there anymore. Last time I rode through was so depressing. I usually ride down to the point and even the nice little river trail has gang bander row with the murals of gangsters. Where else can you shoot someone in the stomach and be in a gun battle and have your picture painted in what should be a relaxing nice part of the city by the river? Guess he was someone to inspire to? Odd.

I hope the school helps your little area. Time will tell if the nimbies get involved and make sure most of it is section 8. They sure messed up that Civic Arena sight for so many years, I don''t want to count. What I nightmare. Maybe the school building will be too small to get their attention.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:18 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,228,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is pretty rare a McDonalds closes, but the only one downtown couldn't make it? Is there another city in the US that doesn't have a McDonalds in the entire downtown? I don't eat at them, but it is interesting.

Not to get off track, but there were 3 McD's downtown,

Wood Street,
Smithfield Street,
Liberty Ave

Liberty is still open for business as of the other day when passing by.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:07 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,906,645 times
Looks like the McDonalds on Wood Street closed. The drug dealer one on Smithfield has been closed for a while.
Also looks like both Burger Kings downtown closed - one on Smithfield, and the other on Forbes (near Ross)??

Old 02-21-2023, 07:25 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,969,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Not to get off track, but there were 3 McD's downtown,

Wood Street,
Smithfield Street,
Liberty Ave

Liberty is still open for business as of the other day when passing by.
There were four McDonald’s. There were two McDonald’s on Wood St as well as the Smithfield and Stanwix/Gateway Center location.

We also had two Wendy’s and a Roy Rogers Chicken not to long ago. I think all of the Arby’s locations have closed. The McDonald’s closures were not a surprise as these were drug havens and mostly run by halfway house residents. The food isn’t healthy anyway.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:50 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,714,795 times
Did someone mention the old GC Murphy's? Another classic store. Wood original floors until the end. Lunch counter on bottom floor. Could buy Pirates tickets at a street/sidewalk window. Forget how long ago they closed. 20 years?

Old 02-21-2023, 10:37 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,969,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Did someone mention the old GC Murphy's? Another classic store. Wood original floors until the end. Lunch counter on bottom floor. Could buy Pirates tickets at a street/sidewalk window. Forget how long ago they closed. 20 years?
That 2.99 lunch special. Woolworth’s had a similar set further up Fifth.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:07 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,405,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
There were four McDonald’s. There were two McDonald’s on Wood St as well as the Smithfield and Stanwix/Gateway Center location.

We also had two Wendy’s and a Roy Rogers Chicken not to long ago. I think all of the Arby’s locations have closed. The McDonald’s closures were not a surprise as these were drug havens and mostly run by halfway house residents. The food isn’t healthy anyway.
There was one in the strip on penn and 16th that closed a few years ago. Demand for their unhealthy food has gone away.

Old 02-21-2023, 02:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,574,051 times
Their food may stink, but they have the best draft Diet Coke!

Old 02-21-2023, 03:39 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,405,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Their food may stink, but they have the best draft Diet Coke!
Diet coke is the worst, diet dr pepper is where it is at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh