Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

Without being to specific, can you tell me what area your in? Im coming to check out Mt. Lebo soon. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
We just moved to the Mt. Lebo area and we LOVE it! We have 2 small kids and we have at least 25 kids living on our street. They have so many friends. I have met a ton of people and this is the nicest community we have ever lived in. People are way friendly here. I am so glad we moved to this area. WE are VERY happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
I have heard people call this section of Mt. Lebanon...Sunset Hills.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:42 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
I spent some time working in Mt. Lebanon. Loved the layout of the area, the houses, the community-feel, and the people, themselves. Someone would get out of a Range Rover and say hi with a genuine smile. Nice place. Check out the Mission Hills neighborhood (there's a sign right in front of the turn that says 'Mission Hills').

Old 07-08-2010, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 22,685 times
hate it here! After 9 years of living in the "Bubble" we have decided to move. We want more house for our money, and get away from the judgmental snobs. Yes the schools are great and I will miss walking places, but I will not miss the people! If you are out of the norm at all you are looked down upon. For example, single mothers, different races, lower incomes. The stay at home gossip moms will eat you alive! I have heard them at baseball games and field trips. It’s awful. I am the only working mother in my sons preschool and they all act like it is a crime to work and have children. It is especially harder for children who are not supreme athletes or well off.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
My wife and I along with our four-year old daughter are seriously considering moving to Mt. Lebanon sometime early next year. To people who currently live there (or have lived there), I have a couple questions:
1) What's the best thing about living in Mt. Lebanon?
2) Are the schools as good as I've read? I read that the Mt. Lebanon school district is the 2nd best in the whole state of Pennsylvania.
3) Is it a nice place to grow up in?
4) Are there a fair amount of families with young children living there?
5) What's the crime situation like?
Any information on any or all of these matters would be greatly appreciated.
1. Physical character of the built environment- oh and the neighborhood schools.
2. Very good- 2nd , 3rd, or 4th in the state=splitting hairs.
3. Haven't done that, but it seems idyllic.
4. Tons.
5. Very low.
I agree about the house situation. If you have 2 kids, then no worries. If you have more , the right house is expensive and/or rare.
'Disagree with the poster who said outsiders are not welcome. This has not been my experience.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
I live next door to Mt.Lebanon in Upper St. Clair, and my two best friends live in Mt. Lebanon, and have done so for over 30 years. While I'm no expert on living there, I have spent quite a bit of time there over the years.
My opinion is that it's a great place to live , with fine schools, parks, and a vibrant downtown area. along with a decent commute to downtown Pittsburgh if necessary.
Property taxes are high, and soon to be a good bit higher due to the construction of a new high school. That would be my biggest gripe, identical to that where I actually live.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Just as a heads up, the Pittsburgh locals outside of Mount Lebanon often view residents there as snobs. I worked in Castle Shannon (near the Mt. Lebo border) for a few years and all of the blue collar guys always had harsh things to say about those "Mount Lebanon Snobs". Can't say that they were always incorrect (I have had bad experiences with snobby people from there), but just to let you know that the stigma exists.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I Property taxes are high, and soon to be a good bit higher due to the construction of a new high school. That would be my biggest gripe, identical to that where I actually live.

I lived in Mt. Lebo back in the 80's-90's and loved it. Never saw that many snobs, but I don't seek them out.

As to taxes, Lebo and USC are almost identical with 33.69 mills and 31.46 mills respectively.

Not bad at all, really, considering the bang you get for your buck with services and education.

Try Dormont at 40 mills, still can't figure that one out.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:58 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Is Mt. Lebanon SD building a new high school? I thought they were just doing a big overhaul/renovation to the current one?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I lived in Mt. Lebo back in the 80's-90's and loved it. Never saw that many snobs, but I don't seek them out.

As to taxes, Lebo and USC are almost identical with 33.69 mills and 31.46 mills respectively.

Not bad at all, really, considering the bang you get for your buck with services and education.

Try Dormont at 40 mills, still can't figure that one out.
Don't get me wrong; I believe we recieve high quality services in USC from public works, police, fire dept., library, recreation, and, of course, education.
In 25 + years, I have been pulled over by the police in Mt.Lebanon and USC on 5 occasions, but no tickets. Last ticket I recieved and the only ticket my wife ever recieved was from the wonderful, caring, and intelligent Bridgeville cops.
Still not happy with the taxes; our school board is a rubber stamp for the teachers union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh