Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Someone said Philadelphia has a winning baseball team...but does Philadelphia have 6 superbowl rings and 3 stanley cups to go along with that one world series win in ages and that looks like it wont be repeated for quite sometime. Yea thought so...

Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
to be fair, the flyers come in third on that list
Forbes Magazine's Best and worst NHL fan bases. - leafspace Blog post - Official Home of Leafs Nation=

I have a lot more respect for the Steelers than the eagles, more for the phils than the pirates (who haven't held up their end of the bargain on the stadium funding deal which was supposed to allow teams to spend more on players).
there are certainly things philly is going to have based on population alone (the region is more than twice as large and growing, for better or worse) and because they have far more immigrants.some thigns in Philadelphia are better, any objective person is going to admit that. On the other hand, some things in Pitt are better. parks are one. Philly has great parks but their funding level is an embarrassment. although both cities have a terrible, one party system, I think the overall business climate is better in pittsburgh city limits than it is in Philly. Neither city lives up to its potential, IMO, but at least they aren't overrated like DC.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
I love Pittsburgh as much as the next guy, but Iron City is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. If being the home of Iron City is supposed to give it a one up on Philly, Pittsburgh has a long way to go.

Victory Brewing Co. alone and Pottsville, PA (Yeungling, anyone?) being less than 100 miles from Philly have Pittsburgh beat by a mile. (On the beer front, anyway.)
I haven't tried it myself, but doesn't Pennsylvania Brewing hold its own against anything Philly has? Fortunately it is back under its former management and made the right way. I think the former owners outsourced its production to...was it some place in Wilkes-Barre?

But Penn Brewery makes beer the German way and its beers have won awards. Sort of wish Iron City would change its marketing strategy to becoming a crafted high-end beer.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
If I'm not mistaken, Iron City is now brewed in Latrobe, hardly Pittsburgh. We always called it Headache in a Bottle. Lousy taste. I like to support local venues, but that beer just plain stunk.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Penn was OK, but nothing special in my view. They may be more interesting now, however.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM

17 posts, read 19,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I haven't tried it myself, but doesn't Pennsylvania Brewing hold its own against anything Philly has? Fortunately it is back under its former management and made the right way. I think the former owners outsourced its production to...was it some place in Wilkes-Barre?

But Penn Brewery makes beer the German way and its beers have won awards. Sort of wish Iron City would change its marketing strategy to becoming a crafted high-end beer.
Penn has some good products, but since they brew german-style beers almost exclusively (except for their pale ale which is brewed with American hops) they lack the variety of styles that many other PA breweries exhibit.

I wouldn't trust Iron City to make anything remotely close to pleasing the craft beer segment.

After reading most of these posts on Pgh vs. Phila, I just knew someone wouldn't be able to resist adding some opinions.
Some people just don't listen and it's probably not worth debating..

Old 07-22-2010, 02:47 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
East End Brewery is where it's at. No bottling though, only done through kegs, bars & growlers.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
And look we we're just debating this very thing and PBT comes out with this.

Pittsburgh area filled with established, emerging restaurant rows - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronClark View Post
East End Brewery is where it's at. No bottling though, only done through kegs, bars & growlers.
I like Penn Pils, esp Kaiser Pils, but I'm more of a fan of East end. I prefer beer on draft anyway. I love Yard's Philly Pale and ESA (on the engine), victory's uncle teddy's bitter, sly fox makes some good brews.
on a beer note, I like Roy Pitz watermelon lager, just a hint of watermelon. they're from chambersburg, pa which doesn't belong to either metro. Troeg's has become one of my favorite breweries, esp hopback amber and it's hopped up cousin nugget nectar.

Blackbeauty-as for restaurant rows, they are increasingly popping up for a number of reasons. on line shopping, malls, etc have produced a plethora of small spaces ideally suited to small restaurants. this "critical mass" seems to help restaurants. it's a sign of health, though I don't know that one can say "it's better here than there" since despite your statements, there are restaurant rows, established and emerging, in Philadelphia...though it is a rebuttal of anyone who might say "there's nothing going on...."
Quote:
World's best street food
4. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The nation's first capital is also home to some of its oldest and most beloved portable fare: soft pretzels, Italian ices, and, of course, cheesesteaks, now being reimagined in Vietnamese and Mexican versions. Locals get theirs at the century-old, seven-block-long Philadelphia's 9th Street Italian Market, open daily (italianmarketphilly.org).
Street Smarts: Look for the long lines. Certain vendors are more popular than others for a reason, and a few extra minutes of waiting will almost always be worth it.
World's best street food - CNN.com

Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
This has nothing to do with the Philly vs. Pittsburgh thing--but the restaurant scene in Pittsburgh has improved infinitely since I first arrived here in 1993, and seems to be getting better all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh