Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:01 PM

29 posts, read 56,692 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

My girlfriend and I are relocating from Denver to Pittsburgh on March 1st. I've been lurking in this forum for about a month to try and gather some info, but know that our move is definite I would appreciate some suggestions as far as neighborhoods to consider.

We are both from upstate NY so I'm familiar with what to expect as far as the weather and the people (I went to college in Buffallo).

We would like a neighborhood with shops, cafes, and some bars/pubs. We would like it to be walkable, safe to walk our dog at night and be able to get a nice 1 or 2 br for $1100 or less a month. We are currently looking at Shadyside and Squirrel hill.

I would appreciate at it if anyone could suggest any other neighborhoods we should consider. Nothing can beat a locals perspective! We're excited to move to your city, so thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Shadyside and Squrell Hill may not have as much in your price range but the South Side, Bloomfield, Regent Square, and parts of Lawrenceville may fit you just as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM

283 posts, read 597,748 times
^I rented a very large one room for two blocks off of Murray ave in the Central part of Squirrel Hill for 650 before moving to Regent Square for slightly more. The landlord there had two rooms for under 1000.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Shadyside and Squrell Hill may not have as much in your price range but the South Side, Bloomfield, Regent Square, and parts of Lawrenceville may fit you just as well.
Yeah I think you may be right! We are most concerned with living in a nice neighborhood. I have also been doing so research on those areas. I was getting the impression:

South Side: Alot of Bars and maybe more crime. Will do more research.
Regent Square: Have read some good things, will do more research.
lawrenceville: we have seen some nice places online but the more I've researched it seems like it is questionable neighborhood. As you said "parts".
Bloomfield: Have not look at all but will begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
^I rented a very large one room for two blocks off of Murray ave in the Central part of Squirrel Hill for 650 before moving to Regent Square for slightly more. The landlord there had two rooms for under 1000.
I keep seeing Shadyside and Squirrel Hill mentioned as the "chic" neighborhoods. Am I overlooking other neighborhoods that are as nice and safe or would we be better of spending more to live in those areas (our budget has some upward flexibility)?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,807 times
I'd recommend Bloomfield, it's known as Pittsburgh's Little Italy. It has everything you're looking for, and it isn't at all far from Lawrenceville, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill or Oakland.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM

283 posts, read 597,748 times
I feel Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Frienship, and the South Side all feel safe. Lawrenceville is a neighborhood in transition, and it is mostly a blue collar neighborhood with lots of row homes. I have heard of crimes there, like some girl who got attacked walking home alone at 2:30 at night. I use to walk around Squirrel Hill late at night and never felt any problem at all. You can get rent in Squirrel Hill for what you are looking for, trust me. I looked at a apartment there in the bottom of a house that was two rooms. One enormous bed room, a huge other room, a giant kitchen, a huge living room and a dinning room in the first floor of a house. The owners lived up stairs, and they were asking for about 700 bucks. You can find deals like that all around Squirrel Hill. The only problems is you may need to live here to get them. It may be harder if you live the whole way out in Denver. Keep checking Craigslist.

If you are not use to Pittsburgh, I would say try Regent square, Squirrel Hill, or Shadyside till you live here and see what it is like. They are great transistion neighborhoods.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jer View Post
I keep seeing Shadyside and Squirrel Hill mentioned as the "chic" neighborhoods. Am I overlooking other neighborhoods that are as nice and safe or would we be better of spending more to live in those areas (our budget has some upward flexibility)?
Personally I don't think you'll have trouble finding a place in either Shadyside or Sq. Hill for under $1100. I had friends in both places; both apartments were 1 br plus a den; the Shadyside one was $850 and the Sq. Hill one was $750, and both included utilities.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,378,514 times
If you intend to live in the city there isn't much. Forget about Bloomfield and Lawrenceville. They aren't safe and don't look too good either. Shadyside has always been the place to live in the city and you should be able to find a nice 2 BR there for $1100 or less and the same for Squirrel Hill.

Franklin West || Shadyside

classifieds - craigslist

Old 01-12-2009, 08:30 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
If you intend to live in the city there isn't much. Forget about Bloomfield and Lawrenceville. They aren't safe and don't look too good either. Shadyside has always been the place to live in the city and you should be able to find a nice 2 BR there for $1100 or less and the same for Squirrel Hill.

Franklin West || Shadyside

classifieds - craigslist
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/dugdogmaster/worfgif.gif (broken link)

Please tell me you're kidding. You're kidding, right?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM

What are everyone's opinion of Bellevue? I will be working outside the city and Bellevue would allow a shorter commute while still be near the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh