Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I appreciate what police and fire fighters do, and all the risk involved, but it never occurred to me for one second to call off work to attend a memorial service for people I've never met.
That's an award winning attitude.

Say there's a tragedy involving your family some day.........how would you like to find out that the police or EMS took their time getting to you because they never met you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:03 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,338 times
Unfortunately I did not get down to see it in person, but I watched it on KDKA TV at home straight thru from 11AM to 7PM, except for a few minutes due to bathrooms breaks and a sandwich. It was quite a memorable tribute never to be forgotten.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:39 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post

Say there's a tragedy involving your family some day.........how would you like to find out that the police or EMS took their time getting to you because they never met you?
The cops and EMS are paid to do a job. Fleetiebelle, I imagine, isn't paid to attend their funerals. How can you even equate such differences? Why are you putting her down for making a kind and honest statement? I think she's in the majority of people who never think of attending funerals of people they don't know.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:46 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:

So how was the service from inside the Peterson since you must have been there?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The cops and EMS are paid to do a job. Fleetiebelle, I imagine, isn't paid to attend their funerals. How can you even equate such differences? Why are you putting her down for making a kind and honest statement? I think she's in the majority of people who never think of attending funerals of people they don't know.
I think it's sad considering them as "people you don't know". The reason I started this thread is, when you get down to it, how many people know the Steelers personally, but it's virtually a holiday when they win the Super Bowl. Where's all that extra support for the people who protect us and lend a hand in emergencies every day?

I haven't met one person this past week who was an actual family member or friend of the officers, a lot of people I know live in Stanton Heights and others like my wife and I just wanted to show our support and thanks for what they do. People take their job for granted.

The might be "people you don't know", but as it was demonstrated last Saturday, whether they are on or off duty, they will be there to protect.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
So how was the service from inside the Peterson since you must have been there?
I stood along Fifth Avenue in Oakland.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:29 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:
I stood along Fifth Avenue in Oakland.
This is no way an attack, please don't take it that way, it's just a point of utter curiosity. Basically since you brought it up. Since you live in Point Breeze, why do you park everyday at South Hills Village, particularly if you were in Oakland yesterday afternoon? (I was just originally guessing that you worked in the SHV area...) Just a wow, you logged a lot of miles to end up a few miles from home.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
This is no way an attack, please don't take it that way, it's just a point of utter curiosity. Basically since you brought it up. Since you live in Point Breeze, why do you park everyday at South Hills Village, particularly if you were in Oakland yesterday afternoon? (I was just originally guessing that you worked in the SHV area...) Just a wow, you logged a lot of miles to end up a few miles from home.

I work at the South Hills Village mall. I feel safer with my vehicle parked at the parking garage. I met up with a group of coworkers and we rode the T in to town, and then we rode it back to the garage and worked for the rest of the evening.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:04 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I heard on Stan & Guy today that last night's Penquin crowd donated close to 100,000 bucks for the fallen officer's fund.

Now that's Pittsburgh.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
I feel safer with my vehicle parked at the parking garage.
Safer? That's interesting on multiple levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: