Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1-Yes, I agree this is dangerous, but given that most of the on ramps around the Burgh are very short, it doesn't give you much time to merge.

That's what makes proper technique all the more important. If you need to stop, do it at the beginning of the ramp, so that when you do see an opening, you have room to accelarate and blend in with the flow of traffic. Stopping at the end of the ramp is very poor technique.

Quote:
2- Right turn on red is an option, the law states that you don't have to turn right on red.

They provided the option in order to expidite the movement of traffic. Not taking the option when it's do-able is contrary to the intent of the law.

Timidness? 5 mph below the speed limit?

I haven't observed that.

"...a whole caravan of cars in from the side streets."

I agree that wouldn't be good, but on the other hand, I think there's a certain amount of courtesy involved in allowing traffic to enter from side streets, which again, serves to expidite the movement of traffic in general. The people coming from the side streets don't want to be on the road all day either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
That's what makes proper technique all the more important. If you need to stop, do it at the beginning of the ramp, so that when you do see an opening, you have room to accelarate and blend in with the flow of traffic. Stopping at the end of the ramp is very poor technique.
There are some very short ramps in this area that are controlled with traffic lights. You have to stop at the beginning of the ramp, as ditchdigger said, then accelerate to speed.

I asked my DH, who is not from Pittsburgh, if he thought Pgh drivers were more/less agressive, intelligent appearing, timid/bold than anywhere else, and he said "No". I would guess the majority of these infractions are being committed by a small minority of people, except the Pittsburgh left, which I think is dangerous.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:07 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Damn. I spelled "accelerate" wrong.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 AM

362 posts, read 919,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
That's hilarious.

So, the example I mentioned earlier. I live on South Braddock, but most usually drive to Squirrel Hill to zip on to Parkway East. I do so because hundreds of people every day insist on not doing the same, and they end up sitting in a multi mile backlog to the Squirrel Hill tunnel.
So, does topography cause this, or is it because hundreds of people decide there is no other option than to sit in that nonsense traffic?
What's so hilarious. Allegheny County has MANY people living there. Have you ever thought that those people sitting there HAVE NO CHOICE and NEED to go through the tunnels to get home/work?

I know, it's NOT the topography, it's all the idiot drivers. Knock yourself out, think whatever you want to think pal.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
What's so hilarious. Allegheny County has MANY people living there. Have you ever thought that those people sitting there HAVE NO CHOICE and NEED to go through the tunnels to get home/work?

I know, it's NOT the topography, it's all the idiot drivers. Knock yourself out, think whatever you want to think pal.
Is mean scotty trying to say that instead of everybody taking the ParkWay East home, they instead have the option of going on Forbes ave through Squirrel Hill, out past Frick park, and up through Regent Square instead??? Yeah, that would work well. It already is backed up as it is during rush hour.

Scotty should have became a transit engineer!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Ya know, sometimes there is traffic EVERYWHERE, no matter what the so-called "short-cut" is. Drive from Monroeville to downtown strictly on the Pkwy East and the next day snake your way down through Pitcairn, Turtle Creek, Forest Hills, Wilkinsburg, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, Hill District, to Downtown. I guarantee you the time will be about the same.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Ya know, sometimes there is traffic EVERYWHERE, no matter what the so-called "short-cut" is. Drive from Monroeville to downtown strictly on the Pkwy East and the next day snake your way down through Pitcairn, Turtle Creek, Forest Hills, Wilkinsburg, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, Hill District, to Downtown. I guarantee you the time will be about the same.
When the Vets bridge is backed up, I will get off and go through downtown, and try either; Baum blvd to Oakland, or Centre Ave through the HIll. It ends up that those routes are filled with traffic too, and I would have ended up taking less time just riding it out waiting on Traffic on Blvd. of the Allies till Oakland.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 AM

362 posts, read 919,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
EXACTLY!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,758 times
HA! Read this article about driving in Pittsburgh on about.com, but note the "more Pittsburgh driving tips" at the bottom of this page. Driving in Pittsburgh - Tips for Finding Your Way Around Pittsburgh - Maps, Beltways, Wayfinder System

Quote:
Many Pittsburgh entrance and exit ramps have stop signs instead of yield signs. Pittsburgher's will often come to a full stop prior to slowly merging, even on ramps that do have yield signs.

Everyday is "Sunday" here, so watch out for slowpokes!
LOL! See, I knew I wasn't crazy for noticing this stuff. Pittsburghers simply drive differently than everyone else.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:17 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Drivers in PA appear to be intellectuals when compared to the crap I see on the road around the Kansas City metro area. Unbelievable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh