Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 PM

52 posts, read 213,565 times

Advertisements

Gs, true but not everyone who says this is backed by studies and articles ;op.

Hopes, Marvin ey? I would not mind a nice doctor, a vet who loves my animals maybe. Maybe I should hang out by the vet school. That would at least make for a funny chronicle. Might have to look Marvin up...

As far as areas am looking into Shadyside, Friendship, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield and I forget what else. Mostly east...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,373,524 times
I think the single scene is AWFUL here in Pittsburgh. As soon as I finish school, I am moving to Austin.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:00 PM

52 posts, read 213,565 times
Default Texan

Could you elaborate? The singles scene could be awful for many reasons...thanks!

Old 04-12-2007, 02:43 PM

153 posts, read 685,763 times

Old 04-13-2007, 05:09 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Good ole Texas

Where the motto is "if it's different shoot it"

or "fry it" I suppose. Highest rate of death penalty after China! Something to be proud of! Don't forget about all the pizza chains accepting Peso's as legit national currency! That's a good one, too.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
Don't forget about all the pizza chains accepting Peso's as legit national currency! That's a good one, too.
You're just falling for propaganda, boylocke. Texas businesses accepting Peso's isn't any different than Canadian stores and restaurants accepting our currency. Goodness, you can use American dollars almost anywhere in the world. That's because the dollar is generally strong, but it doesn't matter if those pizza chains accept a weak form of currency. When they exchange it, the business incures any loss if the exchange rate changes, not the city, state or country.

Last edited by Hopes; 04-13-2007 at 06:05 AM..

Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 AM

People accept US Bills in a lot of places (like Canada, and not as many places as you think) because our currency is stronger, like you said, and they welcome the stronger buying power. If Canada decided to stop accepting American currency one day I wouldn't be upset at all.

The Peso???

America accepting the Peso?? That's not me falling to propaganda, that's me downright abhorred that a much weaker currency, from a country who doesn't control illegal immigration at all and profits from drug trafficking across our border can be used as currency on our land!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
People accept US Bills in a lot of places (like Canada, and not as many places as you think)......
Honey, I've been many places in this world.

Quote:
......because our currency is stronger, like you said, and they welcome the stronger buying power.
It's merely a courtesy. Merchants aren't aren't getting more money for the product when they accept the dollar. The only way they get more money is if they choose to hold on to the dollars until the exchange rate will give them a profit. But chain restaurants aren't doing that. They make their deposits nightly---and exchange the money within 24 hours. There's one other way to get more money from accepting the dollar: by screwing the customer with the conversion. A smart customer knows how to make the conversion themselves though. Other than that, it's just a courtesy that merchants choose to make.

Quote:
If Canada decided to stop accepting American currency one day I wouldn't be upset at all.
And your emotional stability is relevant how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke
The Peso??? America accepting the Peso??
America isn't accepting the Peso. Some American businesses are chosing to accept the Peso. There's a difference. And it's rightly their choice.

Quote:
That's not me falling to propaganda, that's me downright abhorred that a much weaker currency, from a country who doesn't control illegal immigration at all........
The last time I checked, people weren't trying to illegally immigrate into Mexico. LOL And Mexico isn't responsible for controlling migration out of their country. Goodness, if the United States held Americans captive and didn't let them leave, Americans would be pretty upset. You expect Mexico to do that to Mexicans? LOL The country where people are immigrating TO is the country that needs to gain control of immigration, not the country that people are leaving.

Quote:
........and profits from drug trafficking across our border can be used as currency on our land!
Drug profits are going to be used on our land regardless of the form of currency. You're talking the price of pizza and other retail purchases. That's nothing compared to investments that are made every day with drug profits by mexicans with american dollars. The Mexicans who are trafficking drugs across the border are getting paid in American dollars by Americans so they have plenty of American dollars on hand anyway! LOL

Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 AM

153 posts, read 685,763 times
In '98 or '99 I was in Buffalo/Niagara Falls and businesses all over had signs up stating they did not accept Canadian money. The Americans living there had a bad attitude toward Canadians. I asked my friend who lived there what's up and she said they were bothersome because they were always crossing the border to buy things here because it was cheaper. I didn't understand but let it go. I'd think merchants would want a sale, especially since we parked in an unattended indoor garage close to the Falls as you could get. That area wasn't thriving so why the attitude?

Previous times I had gone to Canada they always converted the cost if you were paying in U.S. dollars which most of the time wasn't as valuable as their money. (When I was little I took a Canadian quarter to the bank and they gave me 27 cents for it.) I always found the Canadians, especially in Toronto, friendly people who went out of their way to help a visitor out so the attitude against them and their money had me baffled.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 AM

The comment about Texas was of course sarcastic, but none of this changes how I feel. And I didn't mean illegal immigrants TO Mexico, I meant FROM Mexico and it is ABSOLUTEY 100% part of their responsibility to help this epidemic. They've said so themselves but do very little about it.

I don't know why you seem so amazed someone can be so against the idea of American establishments accepting the Peso. Can you even fathom if British establishments were accepting the American dollar in everyday transactions? They'd be OUTRAGED. There would be riots in the streets!

And can you name me 3 other countries, besides Canada, not including third-world counties that will allow American money as part of their everyday transactions? And you can't use counties that already use American money as their native currency like Puerto Rico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh