Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsherwo View Post
Hmm...I just moved to Pittsburgh myself, and the way you folks in Pittsburgh drive has certainly made quite an impression on me. Apparently, nobody understands the concept of the left lane as the passing lane here in Pittsburgh, nor do they know how to use their turn signals. And could you guys spring for some road signs? I've never lived somewhere where so few roads actually are labeled!! It makes getting around town a *****!!!!
Funny you should mention that. I felt the same way about the left lane when I lived around Akron and Cleveland for 5 years! Cleveland is funny because most of the highways are 6-8 lanes wide...yet all the cars are right next to each other in each lane. It's almost pointless to have all the lanes since you're just locked in. Good luck here, though. It's a lot of the same as NE Ohio but a little different, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:22 AM

323 posts, read 806,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Funny you should mention that. I felt the same way about the left lane when I lived around Akron and Cleveland for 5 years! Cleveland is funny because most of the highways are 6-8 lanes wide...yet all the cars are right next to each other in each lane. It's almost pointless to have all the lanes since you're just locked in. Good luck here, though. It's a lot of the same as NE Ohio but a little different, too.
I actually just moved here from the Akron area, and while people there also drive in the left land with their heads up their asses, I never encountered it to such an extreme extent as I have living here!! The left lane is for passing folks!!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
I never, ever drive slowly in the left lane...EVER!!!! All you Pittsburgh folks seem to though!!! That's what I meant! And it's even like, trucks and such!!!
In that case, learn to pass on the right, and it won't be a problem for you!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The left lane is for passing folks!!!!
Just pass in whatever lane is available.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Just pass in whatever lane is available.
This is a practical necessity in Pittsburgh, but I should note it is also relatively unsafe.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Very few people these days are taking Driver's Ed since most high schools have cancelled those programs. That was a good way to learn, too many people these days don't seem to know the basic rules of the road.

And I agree with BTH, passing on the right is dangerous.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Very few people these days are taking Driver's Ed since most high schools have cancelled those programs. That was a good way to learn, too many people these days don't seem to know the basic rules of the road.
It's not as often the young people who are driving slow in the left lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
And I agree with BTH, passing on the right is dangerous.
Agreed. But it's necessary. I was behind someone who was going 15mph yesterday on a 45mph road for the longest time I swear that person added 20 minutes onto my little trip running errands. It was a two way street so I couldn't pass. There are people who drive almost as slow on the four lane roads in the left lane.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,168 times
Quote:
Agreed. But it's necessary. I was behind someone who was going 15mph yesterday on a 45mph road for the longest time I swear that person added 20 minutes onto my little trip running errands. It was a two way street so I couldn't pass. There are people who drive almost as slow on the four lane roads in the left lane.
I post it in just about every traffic thread in this fourm, but I am still totally baffled as to why people drive so freakin' slow in this area. And I'm not referring to the blue-haired 90 year-old that can't see above the wheel, but average young or middle-aged men and women driving well below the speed limit. I see it all the time. People don't drive like this in other cities, they want to get to their destination and not catch every red light. But I guess Pittsburghers like to sit in their cars all day.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 PM

323 posts, read 806,782 times
Quote:
In that case, learn to pass on the right, and it won't be a problem for you!
I am very happy (and capable) of passing on the right, but as it is illegal in many states, I'd prefer not to get fined b/c some jackass is riding the left lane. Is it illegal to pass on the right in PA?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Is it illegal to pass on the right in PA?
This is from the PA Vehicle Code:

Quote:
§ 3304. Overtaking vehicle on the right.
(a) General rule.--The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under one of the following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the berm or shoulder of the highway.
(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
(b) Limitation.--No passing movement under this section shall be made unless the movement can be made in safety.
I read 3304(a)(2) as allowing passing on the right if there is an open lane on a highway. I have certainly never seen or heard of someone being pulled over in Pittsburgh for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh