Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:03 PM

68 posts, read 189,652 times

Advertisements

The Good
As I came out of the tunnel, when driving from the airport side, the night view of the city was spectacular.

The Bad
The traffic on CT 22/William Penn HW is really bad. During peak hours it took me 20 mins to cover 2 miles.
Is I-376 traffic always so bad, granted there was construction going on and traffic was moving only on one lane.?

The Ugly
Seriously, are there any accidents due to brake failure or something on the steep roads. When driving on 376, I swear I saw a side road that looked like a 60 degree angle. Also when driving through Murrysville, we drove down a steep hill which made us hold tight to our seats.

I came across many signs to be aware of DUI drivers. Is there actually a high incidence of DUI in Pittsburgh? I don't recall seeing similiar warning signs in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiscean View Post
Is I-376 traffic always so bad, granted there was construction going on and traffic was moving only on one lane.?
There is pretty bad congestion on I-376 every day during the rush hours.

Quote:
Seriously, are there any accidents due to brake failure or something on the steep roads. When driving on 376, I swear I saw a side road that looked like a 60 degree angle. Also when driving through Murrysville, we drove down a steep hill which made us hold tight to our seats.
You get used to it. Provided you survive your first winter.

Quote:
I came across many signs to be aware of DUI drivers. Is there actually a high incidence of DUI in Pittsburgh? I don't recall seeing similiar warning signs in other states.
We love our warning signs. My favorite are the "Beware Aggressive Drivers" signs.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:00 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,298 times
Quote:
Haha... I swear those signs are only on the Parkway West and East. Has anyone seen them anywhere else in Pittsburgh or PA?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
The Bad
The traffic on CT 22/William Penn HW is really bad. During peak hours it took me 20 mins to cover 2 miles.
When you live here, you learn to use side roads. It's much quicker during certain times of the day.

Quote:
The Ugly
You're not the first flat-lander who was afraid of our hills. No, people don't often have accidents due to break failure.

Our state laws require breaks to be inspected once a year. It's surprising how few states have annual vehicle inspections for mechanical safety.

Quote:
That's funny. I guess that's like expecting to see deer if you see a deer crossing sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We love our warning signs. My favorite are the "Beware Aggressive Drivers" signs.
And our aggressive drivers are nothing like LA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Haha... I swear those signs are only on the Parkway West and East. Has anyone seen them anywhere else in Pittsburgh or PA?
Nobody drives drunk in the North.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,267 times
I have seen those signs everywhere--and thought it was funny when I moved here too. Another thing that caught me off guard was the Stop signs with extra instructions. I had never seen them in other states I have lived.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
I have seen those signs everywhere--and thought it was funny when I moved here too. Another thing that caught me off guard was the Stop signs with extra instructions. I had never seen them in other states I have lived.
Yeah, the "STOP except for right turn" signs are still ridiculous to me. lol

And of course stop signs on on-ramps. The first time I visited the area I blew through one while getting on I-376 and thought "Was that a stop sign I just passed? No way, can't be, this is an interstate highway!"

You will get used to the hills though. I moved here from Florida and was in awe over the steep hills too, but now I'm used to them and would miss them if I moved to another flat state.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:47 PM

43 posts, read 98,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Yeah, the "STOP except for right turn" signs are still ridiculous to me. lol
PA is schitzophrinic in how you're told to deal with right-on-red. You have, "Stop except for right turn" stop signs. And every other traffic signal is signed, "No turn on red."

Someone should make up their mind.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningsider View Post
And every other traffic signal is signed, "No turn on red."
The new three way intersection on route 8 near Etna is a "no turn on red" but the next intersection down, which is more complicated, has a little right turn on red ramp onto route 8. It doesn't make sense why there's no turn on red at the second intersection. The visibility for approaching traffic is better than at the intersection where right turns are permitted. No turn on red should only be reserved for when there is no visibility whatsoever.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:18 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,701,739 times
Quote:

The Bad
Yes; the first time I commuted on it I was waiting to see an accident or construction and there was neither. People on the east side of the city and it's eastern suburbs seem to think it is the only road that exists. There are many other routes around it or many routes you can take to avoid all the ridiculous back ups.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 AM

106 posts, read 212,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The new three way intersection on route 8 near Etna is a "no turn on red" but the next intersection down, which is more complicated, has a little right turn on red ramp onto route 8. It doesn't make sense why there's no turn on red at the second intersection. The visibility for approaching traffic is better than at the intersection where right turns are permitted. No turn on red should only be reserved for when there is no visibility whatsoever.
There are other reasons to install the NO TURN ON RED sign. For example where there are a lot of pedestrians crossing the street during an all-walk pedestrian exclusive phase, or when the signal phasing would cause other conflicts. It's not always about sight distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh