Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It is sunny a lot here for me. I lived in Miami, Orlando and Sarasota as well, so it isn't like I never left for sunny places. Pittsburgh weather is very good if you like seasons and enjoy gardening. What more can anyone ask for? If you don't like seasons move south. What is so hard about that?
There's plenty of 4 season climates without the insanely high # of grey days like here in Pittsburgh. All right on the East Coast (e.g. Philly). They're calling for more rain through Friday. Where's that nice summer sun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I love grey days, makes me appreciate the Sunshine.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
There's plenty of 4 season climates without the insanely high # of grey days like here in Pittsburgh. All right on the East Coast (e.g. Philly). They're calling for more rain through Friday. Where's that nice summer sun?
Doesn't bother me at all. Remember, this is what summer is like in coastal northern CA, and it's what I'm used to: We Love the Fog - SF West History Minute - Western Neighborhoods Project - San Francisco History

I have a good friend from Philly who can't stand the grey or the cold. She lives in a sunnier part of CA and wouldn't ever live in Philly again. She has pretty severe SAD. I can hear it in her voice whenever the weather is grey or cold. She was one of the people who thought I was absolutely nuts to move here. The Pittsburgh winters would make her miserable. It amazes me how different we all are when it comes to our weather preferences.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Calling for a chance of rain through Friday in the rest of PA, MD, NJ and NYC too.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM

286 posts, read 677,873 times
Smile Denver is not a Desert

[quote=gallacus;28135170]The only reason I mentioned Denver is because I used to live there, so I too have experience in both places. Couldn't agree more that Denver is more sunny, it's a desert. That's why I also said that 53% more sunshine is a lot (albeit without the caps). My main reason for posting was that there are often times people considering a move to Pittsburgh and wondering just how cloudy Pittsburgh is. While Denver is very sunny, and Pittsburgh is very cloudy, many arguments that people make over-emphasize both, which gives people an inaccurate portrayal of both places.
Good grief sir..please,if you still care,bear in mind the aforementioned statement,Denver area is not a desert clime.Google it and it will remind you of the elementary school that you attended.Thank you.
Now Pittsburgh is not sunny from April thru October,you are in denial.
Finally,if you want to visit a desert and view a cobalt blue with sunshine crackling down to Earth without a cloud in the sky all day drive to Arizona,New Mexico and its environs.
I deliberately typed this so basic..that a child could follow..so "Have a nice day!"July 12,2013 Pittsburgh weather?Total cloud cover for days.
With these statistics on percent of possible sunshine, I personally think it paints a much clearer picture. During the height of winter, Pittsburgh receives very little direct sunshine, but from May through October Pittsburgh is sunny the majority of the time. During those months, Denver gets 16% more sunshine. Again, still a significant amount, but not crazy. Now, the winter is where the big difference is: for Pittsburgh's cloudiest months (November - April) Denver gets a whopping 89% more sunshine. That's a huge difference, and the big reason why Pittsburgh's winters are lamented by so many.

Now, that's comparing Pittsburgh to one of the sunniest locales in America (even sunnier than San Diego). When you compare Pittsburgh to San Antonio, TX, a place that falls right in the middle of the national average for sunshine, it's not quite as ridiculous. San Antonio gets 13% more sunshine than Pittsburgh in the summer, and 44% more in the winter. Take into consideration that Pittsburgh's summer days are a bit longer than San Antonio due to its southern location (about 5% longer on average) you could say then that the difference is even less during the summer, but more in the winter.

Last but not least, with Daylight Saving Time, the difference is even more pronounced for those of us with day jobs. What DST means to me in Pittsburgh is that, from the time it ends in November, to the time it begins in March, I pretty much don't see the sun. I've calculated that, when factoring in DST, daytime working hours, Pittsburgh's latitude, and percent of possible sunshine, someone living in Pittsburgh with a day job will have the opportunity to see about 23 hours of sunshine per month at the peak of th

Old 07-12-2013, 03:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Trace, 0.16", 0'15", trace, 0.00", trace, 0.03", 0.13", trace, 0.01", 0.81", 1.41", 0.69", 0.69", 0.30", 0.19", 0.89", 1.05", trace.

That's the daily precipitation here in Athens, GA from June 23 through July 11. We've had measurable precipitation (0.01" or greater) on 15 of the last 19 days, and observed precipitation (a trace or greater) on 18 of the last 19 days. June 27 is the only day without precipitation during that period of time. Our Independence Day fireworks show was canceled. Not postponed; canceled, because of the weather forecast. Since June 1, we've had 14.25" of rain, which is well above normal. Hartwell Dam had to be opened for only the third time ever since it was built 50 years ago, and it's still not releasing water fast enough, according to some of the locals. Lake Hartwell is rising in spite of it.

It's been cloudier and wetter than normal all throughout the eastern third of the United States in the last month.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times
At least in Georgia you have lots of sun year round, so a cloudier summer season wouldn't be that bad. However, pittsburgh has months and months of darkness so a cloudier than average summer is very very depressing. It amazes me how sensitive people get on here when other posters have something negative to say about the weather here. They are entitled to their own opinion. If you like it, great. If not, that's okay too! I personally think Pittsburgh has the crappiest, darkest, most depressing climate in America. A real Debbie Downer. I will be out by next summer. It has a sad, pathetic climate. There are many positives about pittsburgh, but sunshine and blue skies aren't one of them. In fact you'll rarely hear Pgh and sunny in the same sentence!

Last edited by pghdude28; 07-12-2013 at 05:16 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
I personally think Pittsburgh has the crappiest, darkest, most depressing climate in America. A real Debbie Downer. I will be out by next summer. It has a sad, pathetic climate. There are many positives about pittsburgh, but sunshine and blue skies aren't one of them. In fact you'll rarely hear Pgh and sunny in the same sentence!
wow - you must've been everywhere in the US to make that assessment. I'm simply bewildered and overwhelmed by your climatic experiences. And amazed you think the climate here is worse than say Forks, WA. But I submit to your obviously superior knowledge.

Enjoy your new location... why you waiting until next summer though? I do find it funny that all the people who complain about the weather on this forum and want to leave always seem to be going to move 'next year' ....

Last edited by gortonator; 07-12-2013 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
At least in Georgia you have lots of sun year round, so a cloudier summer season wouldn't be that bad. However, pittsburgh has months and months of darkness so a cloudier than average summer is very very depressing. It amazes me how sensitive people get on here when other posters have something negative to say about the weather here. They are entitled to their own opinion. If you like it, great. If not, that's okay too! I personally think Pittsburgh has the crappiest, darkest, most depressing climate in America. A real Debbie Downer. I will be out by next summer. It has a sad, pathetic climate. There are many positives about pittsburgh, but sunshine and blue skies aren't one of them. In fact you'll rarely hear Pgh and sunny in the same sentence!

Old 07-13-2013, 01:25 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
^^^^^^^^^^

Like he said - 'crappiest, darkest, most depressing' ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh