Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,094,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So the thread got bumped. I posted because the weather is a topic that interests me. Mind you, people in Pittsburgh are so sensitive about their weather, as I found out when this thread was started back in 2007, that I would never "bump" it myself, but if someone else does, I'll post. I posted b/c I'm tired of seeing posts like, "Gosh, sure is gloomy today. I had to wear my sunglasses just to pick up my paper", as if to prove to the rest of the world that yes, the sun does shine in Pittsburgh. It's trying just a little too hard to "prove" that Pittsburgh is a sunny, bright place, not a gray place.

Re: the bold-I beg to differ. doo dah had to post about how sunny it is in Pittsburgh today, just to counter someone saying it's always gray there. This thread was started by someone trying to claim that Pittsburgh is sunnier than the NWS says it is.

Yeah, yeah, yeah! You couldn't just post about that once this morning, you had to explain it, now for a second time!

<snips>
Sorry, it sounded like you didn't *get* it. I won't address any comments to you any more then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM

510 posts, read 906,036 times
Quote:
Gosh, you guys just had a drought 1 1/2 years ago.
Drought soaks dairy farmers | TribLIVE

I remember a particularly bad drought in the area in the late 80s/early 90s, and my parents were always talking about droughts when I was a kid growing up there.

National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA -- Drought 2012
Scroll down for "13 driest years in Pittsburgh"

Lack of rain, harvest of pain (Video) - Pittsburgh Business Times
(Reference to 1988 drought)
I think you know that short term droughts requiring 3-6 inches of rain are not the same as long term drought crises, like what is happening with the Colorado River.

I cannot imagine why someone moves away from an area, then continues to frequent its message boards with negative posts. Be happy you have found your paradise and move on. It is almost as puzzling as people who post month after month talking about how much they hate where they live, but still stay in place.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I think you know that short term droughts requiring 3-6 inches of rain are not the same as long term drought crises, like what is happening with the Colorado River.

I cannot imagine why someone moves away from an area, then continues to frequent its message boards with negative posts. Be happy you have found your paradise and move on. It is almost as puzzling as people who post month after month talking about how much they hate where they live, but still stay in place.
I don't think you know much about western water issues.

What the H*ll was negative about what I said? Weather isn't positive or negative, it just IS. Please elaborate WITH QUOTES this time, since the last time when you chose to attack my daughter you were in error.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM

510 posts, read 906,036 times
Quote:
I don't think you know much about western water issues.

What the H*ll was negative about what I said? Weather isn't positive or negative, it just IS. Please elaborate WITH QUOTES this time, since the last time when you chose to attack my daughter you were in error.
I actually know quite a bit about western water issues but this is the Pittsburgh forum.
And I was speaking in general, not referring to anything or anyone specifically, so there is no need for quotes.
I never attacked your daughter so please stop trying to perpetuate this slander or I will report you to the moderator.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
If you can't take a lot of grey days year round, Pittsburgh would not be a good fit. I spent a good chunk of my life in a grey climate so Pittsburg's greyness was not an adjustment for me, but the summer heat and humidity kill me.
Jules your post to me was funny, but true. Besides maybe Seattle Buffalo, SF, and Rochester, most cities say Pittsburgh's summer is tame.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Jules your post to me was funny, but true. Besides maybe Seattle Buffalo, SF, and Rochester, most cities say Pittsburgh's summer is tame.
Agreed! Even Minneapolis is hotter!

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States (Pittsburgh)
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 20°F to 83°F and is rarely below 5°F or above 90°F.**

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States (Minneapolis)
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 7°F to 83°F and is rarely below -11°F or above 92°F.**

Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times
I've a feeling this thread should have been closed a long time ago... yet somehow I'm naive enough to still think you can actually discuss without fighting ...
Can you ?
Yac.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,599 times
Quote:
Agreed! Even Minneapolis is hotter!

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31...-United-States (Pittsburgh)
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 20°F to 83°F and is rarely below 5°F or above 90°F.**

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States (Minneapolis)
**Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 7°F to 83°F and is rarely below -11°F or above 92°F.**
You getting desperate here Kat. 83F is the 'typical' high mark for both, and Minneapolis gets 2F higher on 'rare' occasions? Seems a very slim difference to me, and no indications on how these numbers are statistically derived. I expect better from you. What are the summer means/medians? That might be more revealing? I'm sure you can find these on NOAA and illuminate us. After all, you started it

Last edited by gortonator; 02-12-2014 at 06:03 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 08:25 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
well how can you not love a thread where people backhandedly suggest that Pittsburgh is a place where droughts are a big problem like in the west. In the same actual post where they are stating how cloudy and dreary it always is in Pittsburgh. Then when someone calls them on that obvious drought BS, they claim that they just don't understand "western water issues".

Really it doesn't get more ludicrous unless you go read a crack pipe forum or something.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,031 times
Yeah agreed _Buster. Pittsburgh's droughts are the west's wet seasons, seriously. We never will run out of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh