Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
I am a retired climatologist and Pittsburgh is cloudier than London or Dublin.
A retired climatologist, who, according to your other post on another thread, was required to live in all 50 states.

Interesting career, very interesting. After being forced to live in so many great weather states, you prefer to spend retirement complaining about the weather in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
What a gloomy cloudy day it is today!
Oh, for Pity's sake! Every time it's sunny in Pittsburgh, someone posts something like the above. It's like protesting too much. Only someone truly ignorant would think that Pittsburgh has NO sunny days. But whether you measure the sunshine in hours, days or whatever, Pittsburgh is always near the bottom. Nothing will change that. Please note I am not attaching a value judgement to the Pittsburgh sunshine.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
I am a retired climatologist and Pittsburgh is cloudier than London.
Disagree

And when did you retire; just a few posts back you were complaining that your day job & daylight savings time = you never seeing the sun...,

Last edited by UKyank; 02-11-2014 at 09:07 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 AM

510 posts, read 905,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, for Pity's sake! Every time it's sunny in Pittsburgh, someone posts something like the above. It's like protesting too much. Only someone truly ignorant would think that Pittsburgh has NO sunny days. But whether you measure the sunshine in hours, days or whatever, Pittsburgh is always near the bottom. Nothing will change that. Please note I am not attaching a value judgement to the Pittsburgh sunshine.
It's to counteract the people who post every time it is NOT a sunny day. And you underestimate the truly ignorant.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
And since this zombie thread was revived today by an ignorant comment by a deserty carnivore, no one else has asserted anything that goes against what I bolded in your comment above. So I'm not quite sure why you posted? There's actually been many sunny days recently and no one has posted anything. You're not here so you don't know that unfortunately.

I have a genuine interest in understanding why sunshine hours does not seem to be measured by NOAA, and the other poster made some well balanced comments. I just asked .... and as Evekendall says, don't underestimate ignorance ...

Back to my dark dingy conference room ....

Old 02-11-2014, 11:39 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Note that the thread had no posts since July of last year, and then two people suddenly found it today and replied just to say that Pgh is gloomy. One actually said all four seasons are gloomy.

Why would you NOT expect someone else to reply with sarcasm, especially when today is sunny in Pgh? The reality is that people post about sunny days BECAUSE of the constant negative drumbeat of others - it is the opposite of what you are saying.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
It matters how you feel, not how you measure. And don't feed the ^!*#&$ trolls.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Um. -> <- It is bright and sunny here, Katiana. note the sunglasses!

Old 02-11-2014, 12:46 PM

510 posts, read 905,918 times
I like the weather here. And in my mind a HUGE advantage we have over sunnier part of the country is that we don't have to worry about droughts. We have terrible problems with this in my home country and people try to move away from drought-impacted areas. Here people are moving to Colorado and Nevada and California. Americans do not seem as worried about this as they should be, in my opinion.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
And since this zombie thread was revived today by an ignorant comment by a deserty carnivore, no one else has asserted anything that goes against what I bolded in your comment above. So I'm not quite sure why you posted? There's actually been many sunny days recently and no one has posted anything. You're not here so you don't know that unfortunately.

I have a genuine interest in understanding why sunshine hours does not seem to be measured by NOAA, and the other poster made some well balanced comments. I just asked .... and as Evekendall says, don't underestimate ignorance ...

Back to my dark dingy conference room ....
So the thread got bumped. I posted because the weather is a topic that interests me. Mind you, people in Pittsburgh are so sensitive about their weather, as I found out when this thread was started back in 2007, that I would never "bump" it myself, but if someone else does, I'll post. I posted b/c I'm tired of seeing posts like, "Gosh, sure is gloomy today. I had to wear my sunglasses just to pick up my paper", as if to prove to the rest of the world that yes, the sun does shine in Pittsburgh. It's trying just a little too hard to "prove" that Pittsburgh is a sunny, bright place, not a gray place.

Re: the bold-I beg to differ. doo dah had to post about how sunny it is in Pittsburgh today, just to counter someone saying it's always gray there. This thread was started by someone trying to claim that Pittsburgh is sunnier than the NWS says it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Note that the thread had no posts since July of last year, and then two people suddenly found it today and replied just to say that Pgh is gloomy. One actually said all four seasons are gloomy.

Why would you NOT expect someone else to reply with sarcasm, especially when today is sunny in Pgh? The reality is that people post about sunny days BECAUSE of the constant negative drumbeat of others - it is the opposite of what you are saying.
Disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Um. -> <- It is bright and sunny here, Katiana. note the sunglasses!
Yeah, yeah, yeah! You couldn't just post about that once this morning, you had to explain it, now for a second time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I like the weather here. And in my mind a HUGE advantage we have over sunnier part of the country is that we don't have to worry about droughts. We have terrible problems with this in my home country and people try to move away from drought-impacted areas. Here people are moving to Colorado and Nevada and California. Americans do not seem as worried about this as they should be, in my opinion.
Gosh, you guys just had a drought 1 1/2 years ago.
Drought soaks dairy farmers | TribLIVE

I remember a particularly bad drought in the area in the late 80s/early 90s, and my parents were always talking about droughts when I was a kid growing up there.

National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA -- Drought 2012
Scroll down for "13 driest years in Pittsburgh"

Lack of rain, harvest of pain (Video) - Pittsburgh Business Times
(Reference to 1988 drought)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh