Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,713,094 times

Advertisements

Virginia and I have communicated back and forth on a couple of occasions today, and she contacted me through email this evening and it appears something positive may have come about. She told me she would post soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 08:48 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,713,094 times
Here is an official statement from the Parks Conservancy....

To the Pittsburgh Community « Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy Blog

Amy from the Calapitter blog states that lines of communication have been opened up between her and Doug Shields. I think there is more to this than was originally expressed.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,693,804 times
this it totally me theorizing, but i have a feeling that some of the residents may have felt that this was going ahead with plans already in place and that they didn't have any say in the process. but the process is going on, with lots of opportunity for input, right now.

that being said, i am very interested to hear the specifics of the objections. and it sounds like we will.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,693,804 times
some comments from shields about the crazy blog action, with some specifics about the opposition to the plan: In treehouse dispute, blogger's bite matches her bark - Blogs - Slag Heap - Pittsburgh City Paper

Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,059,813 times
From the City Paper article:

Quote:
But why would a community oppose a treehouse in the first place? Shields says the proposal came along amidst protracted discussions about the expansion of an environmental charter school nearby.

"Regent Square is an active community, and there was a great deal of concern about the school's expansion," he said. And there was, it seems, a considerable amount of confusion about the treehouse proposal -- whether it be part of the school's expanded "footprint," whether it would be a simple bench or plaque, or something else.

The treehouse is proposed to go in "Turtle Park," which adjoins the school. Residents are concerned about building "an attraction" there, Shields says, in part because of a dearth of parking nearby.
There has in fact been a running dispute involving parents driving in to drop their kids off at the Charter School, but I think applying that concern to an attraction like this is ill-conceived. It is very unlikely people would be coming to visit this attraction in such a concentrated fashion, and moreover there is a short path over to the parking lot near the tennis courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh