Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:54 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Give me a freaking break. AP is also a MSM source. The economy is NOT improving, in fact it is getting worse. The only reason the economy seems to be improving is because the MSM has people believing it is.
Okay I must know, and I apologize if this is wandering too far off topic... what are the specific mechanics of this great mainstream media whitewash? What I mean is, at what point down the line do you believe it's a fabrication? Do you think, for example, that major newspapers have a bunch of guys sitting around in a room making up stories about the economy like the Weekly World News does with Cher having alien baby type stuff? Or do you believe it's farther up the line, like the government or an organization within it is purposely feeding false information?

In this specific example, do you think the article made up that economist from UChi, or that he is paid to give a certain opinion?

The Adecco staffing who gave his (granted anecdotal) opinion, was he made up too or is he also on the take from The Cabal?

Does Katie the nice lady from Chandler AZ who took the job at Gangplank really feel that way or is she an actress like in those Onion articles?

Suleman the consultant? Harvard Business Review, Martin from CLC? If we tried to find these sources would they be non-existent, or if we checked their bank accounts would we see deposits from secret sources who are manipulating everything?

I'm both puzzled and fascinated by this rote rejection of all things news (well, little blogs that match your view get the pass) so am genuinely curious.

Good luck everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 PM

631 posts, read 720,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um.. Do I need to inform you that I dont need to have a new job lined up, before I quite my current job? It means that people think they can find a new job relatively quickly, but it doesnt mean people are hiring.. They are just replacing positions which became vacant due to people quitting..

Just wondering, would you follow your own logic here, if you had a mortgage and kids to support? I dont know any right minded person who would. Seems like you are psuhing it alittle here.

Last edited by mikeym81; 06-09-2010 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: bad spelling

Old 06-09-2010, 08:04 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It's the Best of All Possible Worlds.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Hmmm Plaidmom, why wasn't that reporter allowed into the secret fraternity of spinning the truth, he's got the wrong message.

Furthermore, when these same mass-media outlets were (correctly) reporting how everything was in the toilet in 2009 how were they allowed to do that? Would it be possible that the same people who now dismiss any positive news from mass media would have cheered from the sidelines and sprinkled links about like beads going off a Mardi Gras float?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Hmmm Plaidmom, why wasn't that reporter allowed into the secret fraternity of spinning the truth, he's got the wrong message.

Furthermore, when these same mass-media outlets were (correctly) reporting how everything was in the toilet in 2009 how were they allowed to do that? Would it be possible that the same people who now dismiss any positive news from mass media would have cheered from the sidelines and sprinkled links about like beads going off a Mardi Gras float?
Don't you know that publications such as The Wall Street Journal are all whale-loving, tree-hugging Ultra-Liberal Commie-Pinko publications with secret agendas of subverting and destroying Free-Market Capitalism and bringing America (and all God-fearing patriotic Americans) to its' knees.

Damn that Commie Wall Street Journal!

Ken

Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,314,137 times
We have a private central bank controlled debt backed money system. The people on the right side of the false right left paradigm want less spending which means another great depression sooner.

The people on the left side want more spending. The big problem with that since this is a debt backed money system is at this level of debt we have reached now, more spending creates more debt which now adding new debt subtracts from economic growth going forward. At this level of debt more spending/adding more debt is a drag on the economy. The spending is just a attempt to delay the depression. The math dosen't lie though.

The end result of both of these scenarios is a great depression. There is another option but the powers that be would never give up their control to allow it to work. A economist explained this to Obama recently about the adding new debt subtracts from economic growth at this level of debt. The bottom line is they will add debt to avoid a collapse untill it ends up collapsing.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:42 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually several of the points you bring up DID increase - specifically the number of hours worked DID increase (along with pay). I don't know if the number of people NOT WORKING declined, but I DO know that the number of people WORKING increased. Don't know about benefits (you can look it up though if you really want to know).

So I guess I can say "Welcome to the '*******' (as you put it) universe".

Ken

Total nonfarm payroll employment grew by 431,000 in May, reflecting
the hiring of 411,000 temporary employees to work on Census 2010, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Private-sector em-ployment changed little (+41,000). Manufacturing, temporary help ser-
vices, and mining added jobs, while construction employment declined.
The unemployment rate edged down to 9.7 percent.

Employment Situation Summary

YIPPEE!

I wonder if the unemployment rate really declined or we simply stopped counting more of the long-term unemployed?

'Splain to me again why we spent a trillion borrowed dollars our kids will have to pay back with interest?

What ever happened to 8%?

The Reagan tax cuts worked, and the Kennedy tax cuts worked before that.

The New deal failed. So why are we trying it again?

Momonkey

Old 06-10-2010, 05:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Clearly businesses must be hiring again

"More people quit their jobs in the past three months than were laid off — a sharp reversal after 15 straight months in which layoffs exceeded voluntary departures. The trend suggests the job market is finally thawing."

Sign of jobs thaw: Quitters outnumber layoffs - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com
Does retirement = quitting? Seriously, the article doesn't mention if retirement is in the "quitting" number (or not).

Old 06-10-2010, 05:21 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Total nonfarm payroll employment grew by 431,000 in May, reflecting
the hiring of 411,000 temporary employees to work on Census 2010, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Private-sector em-ployment changed little (+41,000). Manufacturing, temporary help ser-
vices, and mining added jobs, while construction employment declined.
The unemployment rate edged down to 9.7 percent.

Employment Situation Summary

YIPPEE!

I wonder if the unemployment rate really declined or we simply stopped counting more of the long-term unemployed?

'Splain to me again why we spent a trillion borrowed dollars our kids will have to pay back with interest?

What ever happened to 8%?

The Reagan tax cuts worked, and the Kennedy tax cuts worked before that.

The New deal failed. So why are we trying it again?

Momonkey
Actually, the number of new folks hired went up by well over 700,000 last month (as I explained in the post below) but the vast bulk of those (670,000) were part of normal seasonal adjustment so they were factored out - as such numbers are ALWAYS factored out. This "raw" number compares VERY favorably with both last year's April's jobs numbers (no surprise there) - but surprisingly also with the numbers for April of 2008 - which showed negative job growth even WITHOUT the seasonal adjustment (to the tune of half a million or so). What this shows is that - even enemic as the "seasonally adjusted" non-census April 2010 job numbers are - they are much improved from both 2009 AND 2008 - and the "unseasonally (raw) adjusted" numbers are VASTLY improved from both 2009 AND 2008 - so I'd say the strategy being used is working pretty darned well.

I'm also of the opinion that the "weak" numbers from April are a bit of blip and that the May numbers will be MUCH better and much more in line with the steady improvement we've seen since late last year.

Quote:
Another thing to keep in mind is that even though last months jobs report WAS enemic, the fact is that ALL such numbers are seasonally adjusted (and have been for many, many, many years). While the number of new jobs created was officially "only 40,000 or so", the UNADJUSTED number was OVER 700,000. Again, the 40,000 new seasonally adjusted number IS rather weak, but that DOESN'T mean that ONLY 40,000 jobs were created last month. It means that 40,000 jobs were created OVER AND ABOVE the normal 670,000 seasonal creation one would typically expect for April.

LRP Reports: Data Focus Archive

The not-seasonally adjusted data showed gains of 711,000 private sector jobs in May compared with April. That compares with the 41,000 private sector jobs reported for the seasonally-adjusted series. In other words, the BLS seasonal adjustment deemed 670,000 of the jobs created to be normal seasonal variations.

News Headlines

Ken
Ken

Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Don't you know that publications such as The Wall Street Journal are all whale-loving, tree-hugging Ultra-Liberal Commie-Pinko publications with secret agendas of subverting and destroying Free-Market Capitalism and bringing America (and all God-fearing patriotic Americans) to its' knees.

Damn that Commie Wall Street Journal!

Ken
Ken, keep in mind the only source of "information" is FOS "News", TV and radio. FOS has simply taken advantage of a condition that quite a few people suffer with. The fairly effective model was first found in the early 50's. The radio program "War of the Worlds" caused a near panic accross the Country using paranoia. Many people actually believed the fictional story of invading Martians. It was done in the guise of "news" reports and a lot of very gullible people, believed it. FOS, Rusk, Beck, Palin are just capitalizing, large, on that frailty in many people. Quite ingenious, actually. FOS is the master of Full of S__t broadcasting, that turns a lot of bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies