Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Only in the ******* universe is people quitting jobs a good thing. Did the number of people not working decline? Did the number of hours worked increase? How about pay? Better benefits?

Those are the measures of an improving job market. More people quitting just means more people are quitting.

How many of these job quitters did so to work for the Census?
Actually several of the points you bring up DID increase - specifically the number of hours worked DID increase (along with pay). I don't know if the number of people NOT WORKING declined, but I DO know that the number of people WORKING increased. Don't know about benefits (you can look it up though if you really want to know).

So I guess I can say "Welcome to the '*******' (as you put it) universe".

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I doubt that many people are just quitting and running off into the wild, but quitting to take a new position. Especially those who have been locked into position for a bit, without upward mobility. You can interview and be accepted for a new job while being employed, and then quit. You aren't chained to the floor and beat for thinking about finding a new job.

I hope that anyone who is delusional enough to actually believe they can quit and expect to get hand outs learns a mighty painful lesson in ignoring reality. Either in the pro or anti position, insanity in one fashion is as bad as the other.
From the article:

"Some of the quitters are leaving for new jobs. Others have no firm offers. But their newfound confidence about landing work is itself evidence of more hiring and a strengthening economy.
"There is a century's worth of evidence that bears out this view that quits rise and layoffs fall as the job market improves," said Steven Davis, an economist at the University of Chicago."

Seems to go hand-in-hand with this news:

"Job openings jumped in April to the highest level in 16 months, a sign that private employers may boost hiring in coming months.

The number of jobs advertised at the end of April rose to 3.1 million from 2.8 million in March, the Labor Department said Tuesday. That's the most openings since December 2008."

Job openings rise to highest level in 16 months - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com

Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I doubt that many people are just quitting and running off into the wild, but quitting to take a new position. Especially those who have been locked into position for a bit, without upward mobility. You can interview and be accepted for a new job while being employed, and then quit. You aren't chained to the floor and beat for thinking about finding a new job.

I hope that anyone who is delusional enough to actually believe they can quit and expect to get hand outs learns a mighty painful lesson in ignoring reality. Either in the pro or anti position, insanity in one fashion is as bad as the other.
Actually people DO quit perfectly good jobs all the time WITHOUT having another job lined up and WITHOUT expecting handouts. This happens when people decide to move across country for personal reasons. The fact that people are starting to do this again - rather than being too frightened - is a very good sign of increasing confidence in people that they are pretty certain that they will be able to find a job at their destination location.

Ken

Old 06-09-2010, 02:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your wrong on both counts.

A) You can collect if you quit by claiming unsatisfactory work conditions. I'd say being over worked because the company you work for laid everyone else off, leaving you to pickup the slack is unsatisfactory..

B) In fact if you quit for health reasons, you would not qualify..
Unemployment Insurance
The following circumstances may disqualify you from collecting unemployment benefits:
Quit without good cause
Fired for misconduct
Resigned because of illness (check on disability benefits)
Left to get married
Self-employed
Involved in a labor dispute
Attending school
Check with the Unemployment Office if you have the above or other special circumstances
When You Quit
Can you collect unemployment if you quit your job? It depends. In most cases, if you voluntarily left employment you are not eligible. However, if you left for "good cause" you may be able to collect. "
And that completely depends on what the employment office thinks is 'good cause'. Usually, the company will deny benefits and it will go to a 'mini hearing' and they'll do phone interviews. We've had this happen 3 times in the past year with employees... they quit, made up a reason why they quit and we appealed and won all three times.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And that completely depends on what the employment office thinks is 'good cause'. Usually, the company will deny benefits and it will go to a 'mini hearing' and they'll do phone interviews. We've had this happen 3 times in the past year with employees... they quit, made up a reason why they quit and we appealed and won all three times.
Yup.
The claim in this thread that anyone can simply quit at any time and easily get unemployment is (as usual) a bunch of ingnorant bullsh*t). Employers are on the hook when an ex-employee gets unemployment. They are not just going to stand by and let folks who simply quit their job and then collect that money on THEIR dime. As I said, folks who make such claims (that people can and do easily do that) are betraying just how ignorant of facts they are.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 06-09-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though last months jobs report WAS enemic, the fact is that ALL such numbers are seasonally adjusted (and have been for many, many, many years). While the number of new jobs created was officially "only 40,000 or so", the UNADJUSTED number was OVER 700,000. Again, the 40,000 new seasonally adjusted number IS rather weak, but that DOESN'T mean that ONLY 40,000 jobs were created last month. It means that 40,000 jobs were created OVER AND ABOVE the normal 670,000 seasonal creation one would typically expect for April.

LRP Reports: Data Focus Archive

The not-seasonally adjusted data showed gains of 711,000 private sector jobs in May compared with April. That compares with the 41,000 private sector jobs reported for the seasonally-adjusted series. In other words, the BLS seasonal adjustment deemed 670,000 of the jobs created to be normal seasonal variations.

News Headlines

Ken

Old 06-09-2010, 04:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that even though last months jobs report WAS enemic, the fact is that ALL such numbers are seasonally adjusted (and have been for many, many, many years). While the number of new jobs created was officially "only 40,000 or so", the UNADJUSTED number was OVER 700,000. Again, the 40,000 new seasonally adjusted number IS rather weak, but that DOESN'T mean that ONLY 40,000 jobs were created last month. It means that 40,000 jobs were created OVER AND ABOVE the normal 670,000 seasonal creation one would typically expect for April.

LRP Reports: Data Focus Archive

The not-seasonally adjusted data showed gains of 711,000 private sector jobs in May compared with April. That compares with the 41,000 private sector jobs reported for the seasonally-adjusted series. In other words, the BLS seasonal adjustment deemed 670,000 of the jobs created to be normal seasonal variations.

News Headlines

Ken
Here's another interesting report that indicates that there may have been fewer jobs added in May due to an increase in average hours worked:

But there were 41,000 [private sector] jobs created, and while that is a disappointment following last month's +218,000 and the month's before of +158,000, it still is 41,000 jobs. The better news was that "average weekly hours" in the private sector increased to 34.2 from 34.1 the prior month.

That doesn't seem like a big deal, but if hours worked had stayed the same, Brian Wesbury of First Trust Advisors figures 315,000 additional jobs would have been created. As he far more eloquently puts it, "Had employers kept hours per worker unchanged, there would have been enough labor demand for private payrolls to increase 356,000 (the actual gain of 41,000 plus 315,000).

News Headlines

Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Posting drunk again?
MSNBC is NOT the source. Even a quick look makes it clear it's an AP article - carried by MANY sources (not JUST MSNBC). The question is - Why didn't FOX News report it? Probably because they don't really like reporting positive news about the economy right now since it doesn't fit their agenda.

Same (or similar story):

:: Baton Rouge Business Report :: More employees jump ship as economy improves

More quit their jobs as economy slowly improves - USATODAY.com

More employees jump ship as economy improves - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100609/ap_on_bi_ge/us_economy_quitting_time - broken link)

Ken
Give me a freaking break. AP is also a MSM source. The economy is NOT improving, in fact it is getting worse. The only reason the economy seems to be improving is because the MSM has people believing it is. Therefore, they are no longer hoarding their money and spending it instead. As I live in Las Vegas, I see it happening here as tourism has been increasing. The fact of the matter is our production base has been destroyed. Banks also are unwilling to lend for small business. There cannot possibly be a real recovery under these conditions. The recovery you are seeing is basically service based, since as I said, people are no longer hoarding their money. This so called recovery will end, and soon I might add.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's from the AP, but hey, you won't like it anyway.

More employees jump ship as economy improves - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/More-employees-jump-ship-as-apf-3988721174.html?x=0 - broken link)
How FOX News gets loyal viewers:
  • Tell them that other news organizations have "liberal bias"
  • Watch the ratings go up (since it is mostly made up of one ideological spectrum scared by said bias)
  • Whatever propaganda being pushed is the "truth"
  • Watch other news organizations dodging bias by agreeing with said propaganda and taking the official line. (indirect intimidation)
  • Now all organizations are reporting with "corporatist conservative bias" (except for those brave few independent media organizations reporting the actual truth)

Last edited by KerrTown; 06-09-2010 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: add note

Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,570 times
I'm surprised the number of posters flat out denying this article, there was an earlier WSJ article which has more figures. Just because everyone "you know" is out of work doesn't mean that other people aren't finding opportunities out there. The unemployment situation varies greatly by region and industry.

More Workers Are Considering Quitting Their Jobs - WSJ.com

There are many, many people who are not only employed, but are being sought out by headhunters for other positions in different companies. Top talent simply has more opportunities, and while that may feel like a slap in the face to the millions who are unemployed, it's just the way it is (and always has been).

I know people that are out of work because their skills are out of date, or just too common/redundant, or the demand for their position is very low now (often these changes are out of their control, sadly). I know people who refuse to learn new skills, or start at the bottom in another industry, and instead live off unemployment and their dwindling savings and hope that their old jobs miraculously return. I think that is a big mistake. A lot of the jobs lost over the last year or 2 are jobs that are simply never coming back (manufacturing and redundant middle-management in particular).

I also know folks that are fielding new offers every week because their skills are unique and at a high level that companies need. People who have more specialized skill sets that are harder to find even with millions out of work.

There are also folks like myself who found some opportunities in the downturn and are trying their hand at being entrepreneurial. I'm blessed that my wife has a job that provides benefits or I wouldn't have this opportunity. Thankfully my business has been excellent and I'm glad I took the risk. I understand I am fortunate in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies