Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Clearly businesses must be hiring again

"More people quit their jobs in the past three months than were laid off — a sharp reversal after 15 straight months in which layoffs exceeded voluntary departures. The trend suggests the job market is finally thawing."

Sign of jobs thaw: Quitters outnumber layoffs - Stocks & economy- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Usually you can't get UE if you quit your job, unless it's for health reasons.

Since when do facts matter?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

"More people quit their jobs in the past three months than were laid off — a sharp reversal after 15 straight months in which layoffs exceeded voluntary departures. The trend suggests the job market is finally thawing."

Ha Ha, so funny. You are using an MSM for your source, with MSNBC being one of the worst. I hope you do not actually believe this article.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:

Um.. Do I need to inform you that I dont need to have a new job lined up, before I quite my current job? It means that people think they can find a new job relatively quickly, but it doesnt mean people are hiring.. They are just replacing positions which became vacant due to people quitting..

Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Why are people more inclined to believe lies that reinforce their world view than truth that challenges it? Because they want to...

If people can still believe Obama isn't American, the Iraqi war was justified, and that people can quit their job and the Obama administration will just write them checks out of the government coffers than:

A) They have deluded themselves into believing their world view is true and don't challenge themselves intellectually

B) They are simply lying to support their political beliefs or...

C) They are so amazingly lacking in critical thinking skills and intellectually lazy that they really have no place in discourse.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Usually you can't get UE if you quit your job, unless it's for health reasons.
Your wrong on both counts.

A) You can collect if you quit by claiming unsatisfactory work conditions. I'd say being over worked because the company you work for laid everyone else off, leaving you to pickup the slack is unsatisfactory..

B) In fact if you quit for health reasons, you would not qualify..
Unemployment Insurance
The following circumstances may disqualify you from collecting unemployment benefits:
Quit without good cause
Fired for misconduct
Resigned because of illness (check on disability benefits)
Left to get married
Self-employed
Involved in a labor dispute
Attending school
Check with the Unemployment Office if you have the above or other special circumstances
When You Quit
Can you collect unemployment if you quit your job? It depends. In most cases, if you voluntarily left employment you are not eligible. However, if you left for "good cause" you may be able to collect. "

Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:

Interesting read. It seems some people are becoming more comfortable quitting their jobs for a better offer.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Employers are treating employees like crap more now knowing they have the upper hand so don't read into it much good.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:24 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Ha Ha, so funny. You are using an MSM for your source, with MSNBC being one of the worst. I hope you do not actually believe this article.
It's from the AP, but hey, you won't like it anyway.

More employees jump ship as economy improves - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/More-employees-jump-ship-as-apf-3988721174.html?x=0 - broken link)

Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Employers are treating employees like crap more now knowing they have the upper hand so don't read into it much good.
One of my tenants told me he quit his job last month because he was being treated like crap. I was holding my breath about his rental payment. He did find a job though rather quick earning what he made before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies