Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times

Advertisements

Controlling of women's lives, forcing them through pregnancies ; sounds like a man controlled environment to me.

Last edited by Arus; 07-17-2010 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Then again, a really easy way not to have a baby is to not have irresponsible sex in the first place (which in this case is having sex when you're not interested or prepared to have a baby). Also, with the advent of the 'Morning After' pill, most abortions should be able to be staved off by just stopping the pregnancy from every happening...
So a couple that doesn't want children who is not eligible for Tubal Ligation (you have to be over 35) or Vasectomy, cannot HAVE SEX ever?

What if they get married at 24 and decide that they dont' want children until both of them are settled in their jobs, have their dream home, and that takes them 10 years? So NO SEX at all in those 10 years?

Morning after pill is not a GUARANTEE to stop a would be pregnancy.

Contraceptives fail.

So are you advocating that that couple now be forced to have that child when they are not ready to have one?

Quote:
But tell me about this...if there is a baby over 20 weeks and you abort it, why is it different to kill it in the womb vs killing it once it's outside? THAT I have never understood. Once it's out, you can't just murder it...but as long as it's inside the woman, go ahead and rip it to pieces?
36 states currently ban Late Term Abortions. The states that do allow after the 20th week, only allow it for VERY specific reasons:
threats to the woman's life, physical health, and mental health

Even out of the 14 states that ALLOW late term, 4 of them only allow it if the pregnancy is a thread to the womans' life (the only reason); 4 only allow if it pertains to physical health;

And most of these states require that the woman get a sEcond opinion first; and/or require that a second physician is present during the operation.

NONE of the states allow for late term abortions just simply because the would be mother wants it

At this point who's life is more imporant; the would be child or the mothers?

It isn't murder in the eyes of the law.

As for abortion rates:

Abortion Surveillance --- United States, 2003

and to counter that "mostly poor and minorities get abortions" nonsense:

Quote:
The highest percentages of reported abortions were for women who were unmarried (82%), white (55%), and aged <25 years (51%). Of all abortions for which gestational age was reported, 61% were performed at <8 weeks' gestation and 88% at <13 weeks. From 1992 (when detailed data regarding early abortions were first collected) through 2002, steady increases have occurred in the percentage of abortions performed at <6 weeks' gestation, with a slight decline in 2003. A limited number of abortions were obtained at >15 weeks' gestation, including 4.2% at 16--20 weeks and 1.4% at >21 weeks. A total of 36 reporting areas submitted data documenting that they performed and enumerated medical (nonsurgical) procedures, making up 8.0% of all known reported procedures from the 45 areas with adequate reporting on type of procedure.

And notice that in 2003, the survey actually found a DECLINE in abortion rates than the year prior.

Quote:
How is that for contradiction?!
there is no contradiction here, since one can't simply abort for any reason after 20 weeks. Specific reasons are needed and only a few states allow late term abortions.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
No different than the Hitler rhetoric that pro choice people use to vilify the pro life stance.
When was Hitler ever pro-life?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 PM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
When was Hitler ever pro-life?
hitler did force men and women to have sex and produce children all for his "super race" forced breeding camps.

now pretend abortion is illegal, minus the selection process of the parents that hitler did, the forced pregnancy and birth is not far off from Hitler's Berchtesgarten

Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Pro-lifers do not want people to abort handicapped children..........but they don't want to adopt them either. Pro-lifers simply don't care what happens to a child after it is born. Life isn't THAT sacred...........or institutions wouldn't be filled with unwanted children.

Pro-lifers don't want to deal with the fact that IVF kills "babies". So what if you have to kill 20 "babies" to get one live birth. Life isn't THAT precious. "Besides, I am selfish and I want my own DNA baby. WHAA, WHAA, WHAA. I don't care if I have to kill 20 "babies" to get what I want."

Yep, seems to me that pro-lifers really don't care about life. Seems to me pro-lifers care more about punishing women by making them carry unwanted pregnancies. It is more about control and forcing a complete stranger to do what YOU think they should do.

Pro-lifers are TOTAL HYPOCRITES.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:07 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Pro-lifers do not want people to abort handicapped children..........but they don't want to adopt them either. Pro-lifers simply don't care what happens to a child after it is born. Life isn't THAT sacred...........or institutions wouldn't be filled with unwanted children.

Pro-lifers don't want to deal with the fact that IVF kills "babies". So what if you have to kill 20 "babies" to get one live birth. Life isn't THAT precious. "Besides, I am selfish and I want my own DNA baby. WHAA, WHAA, WHAA. I don't care if I have to kill 20 "babies" to get what I want."

Yep, seems to me that pro-lifers really don't care about life. Seems to me pro-lifers care more about punishing women by making them carry unwanted pregnancies. It is more about control and forcing a complete stranger to do what YOU think they should do.

Being pro-life is more about having an equal-opportunity mindset.

And you don't have an equal opportunity if you're dead.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
hitler did force men and women to have sex and produce children all for his "super race" forced breeding camps.

now pretend abortion is illegal, minus the selection process of the parents that hitler did, the forced pregnancy and birth is not far off from Hitler's Berchtesgarten
Exactly what eugenics teaches. The belief that society should abandon the undesirables. That same thought process resulted in 150 million casualties in the 20th century. Abortion rights finds in groundings in this same thought process.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

Your stance is well documented and the selfishness falls solely on those that believe they have the right to determine who should live and who shouldn't, like the holocaust.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:23 PM

18,389 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Exactly what C teaches. The belief that society should abandon the undesirables. That same thought process resulted in 150 million casualties in the 20th century. Abortion rights finds in groundings in this same thought process.
eugenics promoted by people in the past is not what abortion law is today. I see where some might find a connection. there is a common denominator, in both cases there is a desire limit a possible future life.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Exactly what eugenics teaches. The belief that society should abandon the undesirables. That same thought process resulted in 150 million casualties in the 20th century. Abortion rights finds in groundings in this same thought process.
Well, if you just want to focus on one "aspect' of history ( a belief that no longer holds today), but you have to take aLL of the history of abortion, and you'll see that "controlling" races or people were not the reasons for having them.

Abortion has been around a LOT longer than the 1920's. In fact act has been researched back to EARLY EGYPT, 1550 BC; and made its appearance in early China and Japan.

Greeks often performed abortions, and it was vastly described in many of their plays; Hippocrates suggested that prostitutes "jump up and down" with their heels slaming their "butts" in order to induce miscarriages. YES that Hippocrates.

Oh.. lookee, A christian theologian recommended how to use different tools in order to do abortions.

These societies developed abortion for no more than the reasons we have today; so that women could abort pregnancies they didn't want, and in some instances, where the adults thought the would be mother was too immature to even bare a child (Greek history).

You cite a "one" person for the advent of abortion rights in the US originated by "racists", but history shows that was not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies