Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I wouldn't want to but I'm a scientist with a M.S. degree who makes six figures while the average Afghan makes $487 per year so he just might decide a decent pay check is worth his effort. With 60%-70% unemployment I'd wager many people would decide any job is better then no job and since the biggest problem for the government is unemployment why not promote an economic activity which actually gains hard currency?
I am not so sure about that. It might sound logical to us, but logics is not really a key player in Afghanistan People are engaged in various activities already (fighting, drugs etc.) and somehow getting by.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
I agree uneducated people often behave illogically but let's be reasonable. If your choice is living off of international add which consists of little more then a starvation diet or getting a job which pays twice the national average which will most people take? They know they have no other choice since 60%-70% of the people don't have a job.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If the reserves are proven, they will have no trouble getting loans to hire US, or other international companies to do the actual extraction of the minerals. And I can guarantee you that many companies will be lined up for this kind of contract.

"War for minerals" sounds lame because we didn't even know there were minerals there when we went to Afghanistan.
Maybe...maybe not. Regardless, we know now, don't we? As long as their are profits to be made, the corrupt reptiles will crawl out of the woodwork and the same old usual suspects will profit from the sucking out of more resources from the earth's core. I think it has already been proven that we are living in a parasitic world. After the gulf's oil eruption, I cannot help but look at the human race as parasites living off of and ravaging their host which just happens to be planet Earth. The rich will get richer, the poor will get exploited and the planet will become more devestated.

When a UNEP team visited Afghanistan in 2002 to conduct a post-conflict environmental assessment, it was overwhelmed by the level of deforestation it found. Not a single tree was left standing in many areas of the Badghis and Takhar provinces, which boasted complete forest cover only three decades before. At the majority of sites visited, UNEP observed vast expanses of bare or eroding soil where local livelihoods were devastated, and both the frequency and intensity of floods were reported to have increased threefold. Local rivers have consequently suffered heavy erosion and expansion. The width of the Cheshmanduzuk River near Qala-i-Nau, for instance, has increased from 50 metres to more than 250 metres, wiping out fertile farmland and villages in the process.

Afghanistan on the brink of natural disaster | UNEP/GRID-Arendal - Publications - Poverty Times #3

Oh well, maybe when they blow off all of those mountain tops, they'll uncover Osama bin Laden.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Great...we can't find Osama bin Laden...but we can find the largest supply of Lithium.
Me thinks they were looking harder for lithium than Bin Laden.

It's probably mentioned already, but isn't it strange the US found out about this BEFORE the invasion and 9-11? Add that our invasion of oil rich Iraq but our inaction in North Korea, Iran and Darfur, where real threats to peace, safety and grievous human rights violations happened in the last decade?

Suddenly there is method to the madness. The wars are about control of resources, plain and simple.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I agree uneducated people often behave illogically but let's be reasonable. If your choice is living off of international add which consists of little more then a starvation diet or getting a job which pays twice the national average which will most people take? They know they have no other choice since 60%-70% of the people don't have a job.
From out perspective yes, but in my view people down there think completely different, they have no economic goals, no vision of material progress, no feeling of unity as a country that wants to get ahead, etc. In my view it is similar to Somalia.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

It's probably mentioned already, but isn't it strange the US found out about this BEFORE the invasion and 9-11? Add that our invasion of oil rich Iraq but our inaction in North Korea, Iran and Darfur, where real threats to peace, safety and grievous human rights violations happened in the last decade?

Suddenly there is method to the madness. The wars are about control of resources, plain and simple.
Absolutely!!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:32 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yes...Lithium is the preferred drug for schizophrenia. Osama needs all he can get.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
That is great news because mnay actaully have worried that afganistan had nothign to actaully base a economy on.Iraq always had the oil.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 PM

If necessary they could always do subsistence agriculture the way they have done for thousands of years.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:19 PM

1,935 posts, read 1,826,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is good news for the people of Afghanistan.
A post of yours that I completely agree with. This is not minerals found on American soil. From some of the posts here and the media's reaction to the find, I think we may find ourselves in an awkward situation.
Less posted/said is better. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies