Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
That's rampant. Or rabid.

Your Hitler comment is as incorrect as your spelling.

Or perhaps you were replying to some other thread, my apologies.
I may suck at spelling, but the comment is extremely accurate.. Its ok if you think that Hitler didnt have
Quote:
hundreds of thousands of soldiers, tanks and planes-
or if you thought we were
Quote:
pretty sure of the results before you commit those lives.
But I'm pretty sure you're wrong!!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:16 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
It sure is.

But should we be doing the liberal thing of saying that Obama is only if Afghanistan to steal all of their minerals?

How many years did we have to hear that Bush went to Iraq only for the oil to only find we never took a drop of it.

I find it odd that someone in Afghanistan or has traveled to the area did not know this was there before this. Surely some expert would have known this before now.
Maybe the Leftists think we should step aside and not help the Afghan people develop this wonderful opportunity. I'm sure they'd rather see Iran or Venezuela in there.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
I'm curious to why we're performing geological research in a country where we're at war? It's one thing to stumble on a mineral shaft after you've blown a big ass hole in the ground, but its another to be digging around looking for something of material wealth. Why are we doing this there?

Old 06-13-2010, 11:14 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and Blackberries.

U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan - NYTimes.com

While it could take many years to develop a mining industry, the potential is so great that officials and executives in the industry believe it could attract heavy investment even before mines are profitable, providing the possibility of jobs that could distract from generations of war.
Another complication is that because Afghanistan has never had much heavy industry before, it has little or no history of environmental protection either. “The big question is, can this be developed in a responsible way, in a way that is environmentally and socially responsible?” Mr. Brinkley said. “No one knows how this will work.”

Just another reason to ravage the resources while only a select few will reap the profits. Wars for oil, wars for minerals...all the same crap. Can anyone say "Blood Diamonds?"

Old 06-14-2010, 12:03 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
How many years did we have to hear that Bush went to Iraq only for the oil to only find we never took a drop of it.
Because it's the truth. America had no reason to invade iraq. They have no ties to terrorism, no WMD's that rumsfeld and bush were pushing in their propaganda machine, not to mention the first order for the troops was "secure the oil fields"
They gave a no bid contract to halliburton (chaney's company) and shortly after, all the oil companies, especially exxon/mobil were posting record high profit margins quarter after quarter.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
I didn't see this thread before I made a duplicate. Maybe some kindly mod could merge the two?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:14 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Just another reason to ravage the resources while only a select few will reap the profits. Wars for oil, wars for minerals...all the same crap. Can anyone say "Blood Diamonds?"
Poor tribal leaders will become like Arab oil sheiks.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:17 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm curious to why we're performing geological research in a country where we're at war? It's one thing to stumble on a mineral shaft after you've blown a big ass hole in the ground, but its another to be digging around looking for something of material wealth. Why are we doing this there?
Theft 101.

Pillage is graduate work.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Ha, I wish that was true. Our government must be jumping up and down with glee. First a fortune in drug money from the poppy in Afghanistan, now vast amounts of minerals have been discovered. I guess our boys will be staying in Afghanistan for another couple of decades working for the thieves who will steal all of it.
Jobs!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is good news for the people of Afghanistan.
And the Lithiwanians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies