Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 AM
zox zox started this thread

344 posts, read 478,909 times

Advertisements

I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:31 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,194 times
I am not trying to be offensive at all, but I just don't know how else to phrase this question. Aren't Hindu's the ones with the red dot on the forehead? Or is that just women? Or am I thinking of something else completely different?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:33 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest
I have problems telling the two apart because there are people in India/Pakistan who are muslim or Hindu. Also, we have blacks, whites, and asians who are also muslim.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 AM

7,183 posts, read 4,764,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim. Totally different religions. I am slightly familiar with some (mostly modern) Indian history. So, yes I know that Hindus don't really care for Muslims and vice versa. It's OK with me-people are entitled to their opinion.

I also know that a Sikh is not a Muslim for god's sake.

Iranians are easy to spot also due to accents and/or surnames.

I have worked with quite a few doctors from India. They're nice folks for the most part. The Sikh doctors are always very kind.

I suggest that if people get you mixed up with another nationality/religious group, educate them on the spot.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I am not trying to be offensive at all, but I just don't know how else to phrase this question. Aren't Hindu's the ones with the red dot on the forehead? Or is that just women? Or am I thinking of something else completely different?
This is not an offensive question, ask away! That's what threads like this are for. Yes, Indian women wear the dot on their head. Indian men don't wear it. After certain Hindu ceremonies, both the men and women might have a red powder like mark on their foreheads but that is temporary. Muslim women wear the Hijab which covers their head and in some cases their mouth. Hindu women don't wear that.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I have problems telling the two apart because there are people in India/Pakistan who are muslim or Hindu. Also, we have blacks, whites, and asians who are also muslim.
One way to distinguish between Hindu and Muslim me is Hindus generally don't wear facial hair particularly around the chin. Islamic faith dictates the men wear beards so even the younger and trendier Muslim men will wear some slight facial hair on their chin connecting to their sideburns; it will look like a very thin trimmed beard. The exception to this is Persians (Iranians). Since 9/11, a lot of Hindu men have deliberately shaved any goatee or mustache to avoid being confused with Muslim men.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 AM

232 posts, read 542,431 times
I work with folks from northern and southern India. Generally no problem telling the difference between Hindus and Muslims, or Sikhs.

Can't say I draw that many dividing lines among people though. It can get a bit silly "Uh...she's Coptic. Egyptian maybe. Do we like Egypt? Am I supposed to like them?" Please.

To me it doesn't matter Hindu, Catholic, or anyone else...if they are intelligent and respectful, then they are probably someone that I am enjoy working with, or someone that I'm honored to have as a friend. If they're not...then that's not cool. Simple, really.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikaranista View Post
I work with folks from northern and southern India. Generally no problem telling the difference between Hindus and Muslims, or Sikhs.

Can't say I draw that many dividing lines among people though. It can get a bit silly "Uh...she's Coptic. Egyptian maybe. Do we like Egypt? Am I supposed to like them?" Please.

To me it doesn't matter Hindu, Catholic, or anyone else...if they are intelligent and respectful, then they are probably someone that I am enjoy working with, or someone that I'm honored to have as a friend. If they're not...then that's not cool. Simple, really.
The problem comes in recognizing which religion the person is so as not to offend them. If I know someone is Hindu, I wouldn't offer them a hamburger or a beef steak. If I know someone is Muslim or Jewish I wouldn't offer them shellfish or pork.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:53 AM

I honestly don't know what a sikh is. I do know the men wear turbans to keep their long hair up and tight and they grow beards and moustach. That's about all I know about them.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,866 times
I used to work with many Indians I could tell the difference between Hindus and Muslims without them saying that they are that religion. Clue is their names and if they wear some amulet on the arm. Anyway the Persians I have met do not look like Indians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies