Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 05:35 PM

217 posts, read 554,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Roughly 20% of Americans are regular smokers.

I wonder what a 20% reduction in tourism will do for NYC?
Seriously Memph...
The part that kills me is how they always have a laim excuse for shafting a group of people or individuals....They cant manage money so lets tax this...then that....How could NYC and NY be in such bad shape.....I love how NYC cries poverty....just check out what you get fined for a parking ticket....Violation Codes, Fines, Rules & Regulations

I once got a $7 meter ticket in the midwest and chuckled...

This has nothing to do with cigs.....I would buy them regardless because I can.....I just hate how 'some' people get shafted....

Sorry rant over...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Someday, when they come for something you enjoy, you'll understand.
I don't have any vices that negatively effect someone else, so I'm not at all worried.

Quote:
Maybe cap & tax will be it - we all know it's coming...
Good. I support it whole heartedly.

Quote:
I don't want to see you complaining when your electricity prices skyrocket
Not a problem. My place will have a pretty formidable solar power system (mostly paid for with tax breaks, incentives and subsidies...thanks guys!) and if everything falls into place I'll actually have parts of the year where I can make money by selling my excess power back into the grid to poor suckers like you.

Quote:
and your "good pollution" causing automobile fuel doubles or triples in price.
Not only have I already lived through roughly double the current price of gas, but it's not the vice with no benefits that smoking is.

What's funny though, is that if that happens, you'll be getting hammered too.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I don't have any vices that negatively effect someone else, so I'm not at all worried.
Wel, actually you do. You annoy me. Seriously. I am going to say this again. The OP is a smoker who was surprised to hear about the cost of cigarettes in NY. Fellow smokers like myself assured him it was true and yeah - we don't like it. Smokers from other states chimed in to offer their commiseration. That's all. It was not meant to be a soap-box for your personal dislike of smokers and our habit. Move along now and build your windmill. We'll be sure to stand upwind from it.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Smokers from other states chimed in to offer their commiseration. That's all. It was not meant to be a soap-box for your personal dislike of smokers and our habit. Move along now and build your windmill. We'll be sure to stand upwind from it.
Then I suggest you start a support group where you can cry on each other's shoulders rather than start a thread on a volatile political forum.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Well now the politicians have really gone overboard.......seriously........this is a big boost for marijuana smokers. Because now it's much cheaper to smoke pot, than cigarettes and soon we will have an "underground" cigarette smuggling culture to avoid all the ridiculously high taxes that are aimed at one......in general.....socio-economic group. Let's tax luxury boats more than cigarette smokers!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
And my point I made to Swagger shows where I stand on the issue. Pollution from cooking, automobiles and manufacturing is part of a trade off of the benefits and necessitates that result in such pollution.

Smoking has no benefits, thus it's not on the same footing.
Can you point me to the constitution where it states that busy body people who think their opinions are so important that they can dictate what is a benefit and what is not in how it concerns individuals?

Your response proves my point. It isn't an issue of your concern for health or anything like that. You are simply a little busy body personality that thinks it opinion amounts to more than a pile or crap to anyone else.

in short, I am sorry, but you don't get to decide what is a benefit to another as it concerns individual rights. If you wish to go there, if simply gaining a majority opinion is all that is required and the Constitution and its protections can be disregarded, then give me time and you will be my property. Why? Because all I have to do is get a majority of idiots to agree with me and it makes it so.

I would pray that you get everything you desired if it wasn't for the fact that the result of such would mean the suffering of so many others.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sure, ok. I'm putting forth "the absolute height of intellectual dishonesty" (wow, what an honor, considering some of the genuine crap I've seen spewed here and elsewhere) while your hypocrisy is perfectly acceptable...

Someday, when they come for something you enjoy, you'll understand. Maybe cap & tax will be it - we all know it's coming... I don't want to see you complaining when your electricity prices skyrocket and your "good pollution" causing automobile fuel doubles or triples in price. Just remember, it's all for YOUR benefit, and that of those around you!
Oh when they come for something he feels is his right to choose for himself, he will whine like a little **** ant and throw a terrible tantrum. This is the nature of such as him. It is all about them, me, me, me and all else can be damned. Forget individual liberties, forget the freedom to choose for ones self, forget it all, me... me... me...

Personally, I find it pathetic, ignorant to the point of complete stupidity. People as such deserve to live in a system where their rights are nothing more than foot stools for their oppressors and these types will make certain that it happens only to find that once they have relinquished all of these rights that a boot is pressing over their throat and then, only then will they understand, but honestly... at that point... they deserve EVERY bit of torturous position they have created for themselves.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Can you point me to the constitution where it states that busy body people who think their opinions are so important that they can dictate what is a benefit and what is not in how it concerns individuals?
Can you point me to the part of the Constitution that protects your right to smoke?

Quote:
in short, I am sorry, but you don't get to decide what is a benefit to another as it concerns individual rights.
Recent results seem to say otherwise. In all three of the states I've ever lived in I can walk into any restaurant and enjoy a meal without being bothered by the smell of cigarette smoke.

It's a great thing.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:36 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Roughly 20% of Americans are regular smokers.

I wonder what a 20% reduction in tourism will do for NYC?
This is a difficult one to measure. Has banning smoking in certain hotel chains increased their occupancy and they don't need smoking guests anymore? Have the car companies who banned smoking in their cars increased their rentals since the ban, and they don't miss the smoking car renters? Has this truly been measured accurately?

Mexico banned smoking in restaurants and bars well over a year ago, and I haven't been back since. So has my lost tourist revenue been replaced by a non-smoker?

And the bars and restaurants? They've done accurate measurements as well, concluding that they can survive well without us smokers?

If so, more power to them!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Hey Bosco, how is it up there on that pedestal of yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies