Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I'd imagine the long term cost of health care (for all of us) associated with smoking is much more than anything you ever could complain about on the front end of the purchase.
I applaud the move and wonder why we can't shift it to fast food.

$3 tax on french fries, $6 tax on hamburgers and $9 on cheeseburgers. I would imagine the long term cost of health care (for all of us) associated with smoking is much more than anything you ever could complain about on the front end of the purchase.

$20 tax on pizza.

$2 tax per can on soda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Why do you need a car?

Don't you have public transportation in San Antonio?

You're contributing to global warming.

Would you be opposed to a "special" car tax?

How 'bout a "special" aerosol tax for your car related issues?

Why are you putting bits of food in your trash?

That should be taxed. Unless of course, you've a compost pile in your yard. That would be taxed also, as you're contributing to greenhouse gases.

But, you don't own a lawnmower, so.....no compost pile in your yard. Double tax for you.
bus? im not poor and the places i need to go arent on the bus line. again, my car serves a purpose, your smoking does not.

as far as a special tax on aerosol and cars? itll never happen. those devices have purposes; your smoking does not.

while there might be liberals in office, there are no hippies so *********r compost pile crap

Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

$20 tax on pizza..
$20 tax on pizza in NYC? That would be unthinkable to a normal person, but I wouldn't put it past Bloomberg in his effort to drive the non-rich out of NYC. He's already halfway there in driving the non-rich out of Manhattan.

Bloomberg seems intent on killing the greatest city that ever existed, but then would you expect otherwise from a Red Sox fan?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Each person in my family has their own cell phones, no main house phone. I'm the only one who hardly ever calls anyone. Email is a wonderful thing.
It's already taxed.

There will be more......

Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
bus? im not poor and the places i need to go arent on the bus line. again, my car serves a purpose, your smoking does not.

as far as a special tax on aerosol and cars? itll never happen. those devices have purposes; your smoking does not.

while there might be liberals in office, there are no hippies so *********r compost pile crap

You're not poor yet, but you will feel poor after all of the new taxes.

Compost piles are not so much for hippies; they're a wonderful way to fertilize your garden.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:07 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I applaud the move and wonder why we can't shift it to fast food.

$3 tax on french fries, $6 tax on hamburgers and $9 on cheeseburgers. I would imagine the long term cost of health care (for all of us) associated with smoking is much more than anything you ever could complain about on the front end of the purchase.

$20 tax on pizza.

$2 tax per can on soda.

Well then.

Say bye bye to most of the restaurants in the U.S.A., Pepsi and Coke, et al.

Guess we'll be munchin' Chinese alfalfa, Japanese dolphins(oh wait...they're unpopular), and Mexican tamales(hold the cat, thankyou).

Oh well.

You'll get a good price for your Cymbalta.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:09 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
If they're going to tax cigarettes, they should tax alcohol the same. Put a $4.35 tax on a 12 pack and see how people react! Consuming alcohol has negative effects on the body and actually impairs the body, cigarettes do not. I can drive and smoke without endangering anyone, but drinking and driving can kill.

And all smokers die early? My grandpa smoked 2 packs a day until his dying days and he lived to be 96! George Burns lived to be 100 and smoked ten cigars a day!

There are so many things unhealthy for you nowadays, they should tax the hell out of fast food like someone else mentioned! Obesity is a HUGE problem (no pun intended) in our society and costs our healthcare system billions of dollars, maybe every fast food joint should be forced to add a $2 tax on each burger! Certainly it'd help our obesity problem won't it?

And I'm somewhat in the process of quitting, I've cut back to about a half-pack a day which is great.

I feel for my fellow smokers in NYC, $11/ pack is simply outrageous.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
YAZ

Tax the AZ sun.

Should get a lot of bread out of that.....

Old 06-22-2010, 08:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I no longer smoke but they they should equalize sin taxes. If they could just tax sex then the deficit is gone.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,079 times
Cigarettes do a fine job of keeping the focus off of alcohol.

I've never heard of someone becoming homeless because of cigarette addiction - alcohol, yes.

Lots of alcohol related diseases and deaths - but no, none of that could have contributed to rising health care costs.

The best part is that alcohol causes many people to become abusive and lethal - keeps things interesting. The possibility of a drunk driver decapitating you on the highway, or running over your kid is so much more desirable than occasionally walking through a cloud of second hand smoke.

Oh, and people drinking alcohol smell soooo good, don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies