Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times

Advertisements

I am glad I quit when cigaretts were $3.50 a carton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
New York state legislature has just approved an additional $1.60 tax on each pack of cigarettes to make a total of $4.35 that the government is getting for each pack of cigarettes New York State residents buy. Glad I don't live in New York, the government is taxing us into the poor house and even when in the poor house, you can't even afford a cigarette anymore! This is getting ridiculous, leave us smokers ALONE!
Pretty soon it will become more profitable to smuggle cigibuts vs. MJ

Old 06-23-2010, 11:04 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am glad I quit when cigaretts were $3.50 a carton.
You must be a millionaire by now!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Pretty soon it will become more profitable to smuggle cigibuts vs. MJ
Either that, or mugging people for their cigs will be the new crime of the month!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Nobody's forcing you. You have the freedom to select a different route. Please exercise that freedom, or not, but if you choose not to, there's nobody to complain to except yourself.
Why do the non-smokers have to cater to the smokers who are ****ing up the air?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Who gives a flying New York rat's butt? It only matters if you smoke. If you smoke than you should pay for it. I would rather they pay then those who don't smoke.

If you hate the tax, don't buy the cigarettes.

And why do you get so much joy sticking it to us? It is easy to say "just pay it" when it doesn't effect you huh? In a revengeful attitude I almost wish there was something you all would get it stuck to, something you like.

I am really getting tired of militant non smokers who say "I wish it was twice as much". What goes around comes around remember that...

Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
I quit maybe 20 years ago, My SO still smokes, the price seems to have doubled (in the midwest) about every ten years. I paid $1.15 w/tax back then

Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And why do you get so much joy sticking it to us? It is easy to say "just pay it" when it doesn't effect you huh? In a revengeful attitude I almost wish there was something you all would get it stuck to, something you like.

I am really getting tired of militant non smokers who say "I wish it was twice as much". What goes around comes around remember that...

it isn't about "sticking it to you" it is about personal choice. it is your choice to smoke. you wanna smoke pay the price simple as that. if it gets to expensive and you have the choice to try to quit. it is the addiction that makes people think they want to smoke, that they enjoy it or can quit when they want. if you are ever able to get away from smoking you will have a completely different mind set about the addiction and what it does to your mind set.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:30 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it isn't about "sticking it to you".

Yes it is. Look at some comments. "smokers are the outcasts of society"...blah blah blah.

Many relish taxing the s*** out of cigs, but if it were some other product specially one they like they would be screaming.

Some people seem to have true hate toward a cigarette smoker.

Why else do you think lawmakers can increase taxes on cigs so much and get away with it?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes it is. Look at some comments. "smokers are the outcasts of society"...blah blah blah.

Many relish taxing the s*** out of cigs, but if it were some other product specially one they like they would be screaming.

Some people seem to have true hate toward a cigarette smoker.

Why else do you think lawmakers can increase taxes on cigs so much and get away with it?

many people don't like smokers because of second hand smoke, and the health costs. lawmakers can get away with it because of the health risks.

I think you should be able to smoke if that is what you want, I also think if you do you pay the going rate. if I want to drink top shelf liquor and not a well vodka I pay for it. simple as that.

the addiction and the mental mind set that goes on with addiction is another matter all together. if smokers think they are smoking by choice they are fooling themselves. the only one getting fat off the addiction is the cigarette companies and the dept't of health that gets the tax. the smoker just gets health problems and deeper into the fog of addiction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies