Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,399,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
One thing I can say from experience is that there ain't nobody more rabidly anti-smoking than someone who managed to kick the habit. First was my late husband and second and third are two of my brothers. Big brother can stick it where the sun don't shine if he thinks I'm going to give up my pleasures (smoking and drinking) this late in my life. As I said to a friend of mine just this morning, "So what if not smoking or drinking extends my life another 5 or 10 years? Why would I want to bother if I have to give up the things I enjoy?"
I always liked this one.
"Sure, if I gave up smoking and drinking I realize that I wouldn't live forever, but it sure would seem like it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
New York state legislature has just approved an additional $1.60 tax on each pack of cigarettes to make a total of $4.35 that the government is getting for each pack of cigarettes New York State residents buy. Glad I don't live in New York, the government is taxing us into the poor house and even when in the poor house, you can't even afford a cigarette anymore! This is getting ridiculous, leave us smokers ALONE!
Weed should be legalized and sold over the counter. It's better than tobacco and much more fun.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Weed should be legalized and sold over the counter. It's better than tobacco and much more fun.

As long as its purity and natural content are not violated by chemcials/ingredients found in cigarettes (i.e. arsenic, boron, ammonia, etc) I agree!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
New York state legislature has just approved an additional $1.60 tax on each pack of cigarettes to make a total of $4.35 that the government is getting for each pack of cigarettes New York State residents buy. Glad I don't live in New York, the government is taxing us into the poor house and even when in the poor house, you can't even afford a cigarette anymore! This is getting ridiculous, leave us smokers ALONE!
It's out of control. I'm close enough to drive into Massachusetts but I've been thinking of quitting anyway.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Actually smokers die younger and consume fewer resources.
They consume more resources while they are alive, through insurance, Medicare/Medicaid.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Wait until you naive leftists have your gas prices tripled (that will be a gain for the greenests). Wait until Obama signs in your cap and trade and you can no longer afford electricity. I was naive like you until recently. The government will go after things you think is good, but eventually they will go after something you cherish (and even a necessity) and you are screwed.
Meh , our growing Northeast Rail / Transit Network makes it easy to get around w/o a car. Our Electricity comes form Hydro , Tidal , Wind , Nuclear , and Solar , with fossil fuel sources dropping. So you were saying? The Northeast seems to be the only region think for our future and not the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapoutofit View Post
I don't care if it's unhealthy.

Sit on the sideline and say nothing, or cheer it on. They will eventually come after something you enjoy.
Then smoke in your house and not on the sidewalks. I hate walking through it...

Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Wait until you naive leftists have your gas prices tripled (that will be a gain for the greenests). Wait until Obama signs in your cap and trade and you can no longer afford electricity. I was naive like you until recently. The government will go after things you think is good, but eventually they will go after something you cherish (and even a necessity) and you are screwed.
As you know, we're being taxed for regular 'ole groceries now here in AZ, next will be a "special" tax on soda, chips, beer, etc.

Let's not only tax the gas you put in your car, we'll add on another tax for the amount of miles you drive.

Anyone that thinks more taxes are a good thing is a moron. You are correct that the government will take everything that you let them take.

Hey. Let's put a special tax on underwear, razors, soap, whatever.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They consume more resources while they are alive, through insurance, Medicare/Medicaid.
They pay more for health insurance, they die younger and overall consume less resources.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,090,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're fat.

I propose a fat tax.

Your cows fart.

You're contributing to global warming.

Taxed.

Ooops.

You have a disease that's heriditary. (Did I spell that right?)

Not covered. It's your parents fault.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:02 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
I was reading an article recently about the state of NY banning electronic cigarettes that help people quit. They are far less toxic (extracted nicotine, and the same ingredients as an asthma inhaler with some flavoring thrown in so basically 4,000 chemicals short of burning tobacco)...but cannot be taxed like tobacco so they are going for the ban by calling them "dangerous". CIGARETTES ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! I cannot support such heavy taxation, especially for dishonest reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies