Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Is this the result of a Glenn Beck University education?
What does Glenn Beck have to do with this conversation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Could you please back up "the government [will] dictate what qualifies as insurance," and that consumers will be required to buy "insurance that is approved by... DC central command," and "subject to change at any time"?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:49 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Could you please back up "the government [will] dictate what qualifies as insurance," and that consumers will be required to buy "insurance that is approved by... DC central command," and "subject to change at any time"?
The parameters of what qualifies as health insurance must be defined somehow. The likely scenario will play out as follows: scam companies will offer shell insurance to individuals seeking to not be fined ('cause as we've seen with things like the homebuyer credit, that all government programs and laws deserve a good fleecin'). The government will step in and suggest that this be stopped, to "protect the consumer". Corporate fascism will win once again as lobbyists from the largest firms step in and suggest that they become the exclusive providers for what minimally qualifies as health insurance. Just because the definition of health insurance isn't codified into the document now, don't think for a moment that it won't be in the future.

Got any more good Glenn Beck jokes?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The parameters of what qualifies as health insurance must be defined somehow. The likely scenario will play out as follows: scam companies will offer shell insurance to individuals seeking to not be fined ('cause as we've seen with things like the homebuyer credit, that all government programs and laws deserve a good fleecin'). The government will step in and suggest that this be stopped, to "protect the consumer". Corporate fascism will win once again as lobbyists from the largest firms step in and suggest that they become the exclusive providers for what minimally qualifies as health insurance. Just because the definition of health insurance isn't codified into the document now, don't think for a moment that it won't be in the future.

Got any more good Glenn Beck jokes?
Yes; a whole forum full of them. summers, there's your suppositions and wild hopes for the future and then there's the concrete document. Why not look at the actual doc and find out the facts?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Quote:

Are you asking for proof that we MUST purchase insurance because that is most certainly in the bill. You will face a fine of $695. you also must purchase it from the exchange that the government sets up. Which means that if the insurance company does not fall under that exchange you can purchase it but it would not be accepted by the government as having insurance.

On a side note, no one should be forced to purchase health insurance or be fined that is simply wrong.

The bill that does indeed say that the carrier you chose must be part of the exchange and that exchange is set up by the government and the government will decide what is acceptable coverage. So at the end of the day it is the governement that will decied if the coverage I pay for is good enough. That is not their choice it is mine. I believe this is what sunny is talking about.

I will search the bill and post the exact wording shortly.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Are you asking for proof that we MUST purchase insurance because that is most certainly in the bill.
I'm asking him where he got his ideas; see thread.
Quote:
You will face a fine of $695.
Correct.
Quote:
you also must purchase it from the exchange that the government sets up.
You dont seem to know what a health exchange is. (But you know you're threatened by it! )

Health insurance exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Which means that if the insurance company does not fall under that exchange you can purchase it but it would not be accepted by the government as having insurance.
Correct; see thread.

Quote:
On a side note, no one should be forced to purchase health insurance or be fined that is simply wrong.

The bill that does indeed say that the carrier you chose must be part of the exchange and that exchange is set up by the government and the government will decide what is acceptable coverage. So at the end of the day it is the governement that will decied if the coverage I pay for is good enough. That is not their choice it is mine. I believe this is what sunny is talking about.

I will search the bill and post the exact wording shortly.
good; you could see thread, but it's better to find out for yourself.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:13 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
My home state is awesome! Jindal is running the state very well and even La. Democrats are by and large solid citizens.... (with few exceptions like a certain former home-economics teacher)...

Old 06-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Ok this is from the bill:

Quote:
(Sec. 1104)

Sets forth provisions governing electronic health care transactions. Establishes penalties for health plans failing to comply with requirements.

Quote:
Exchange after 2017. (Sec. 1313, as modified by Sec. 10104) Requires an Exchange to keep an accurate accounting of all activities, receipts, and expenditures and to submit to the Secretary, annually, a report concerning such accountings. Requires the Secretary to take certain action to reduce fraud and abuse in the administration of this title. Requires the Comptroller General to conduct an ongoing study of Exchange activities and the enrollees in qualified health plans offered through Exchanges. Part III: State Flexibility Relating to Exchanges
Quote:
(Sec. 1321)

Requires the Secretary to issue regulations setting standards related to:
(1) the establishment and operation of Exchanges;
(2) the offering of qualified health plans through Exchanges; and
(3) the establishment of the reinsurance and risk adjustment programs under part V. Requires the Secretary to:
(1) establish and operate an Exchange within a state if the state does not have one operational by January 1, 2014; and
(2) presume that an Exchange operating in a state before January 1, 2010, that insures a specified percentage of its population meets the standards under this section. (Sec. 1322, as modified by Sec. 10104) Requires the Secretary to establish the Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan (CO-OP) program to foster the creation of qualified nonprofit health insurance issuers to offer qualified health plans in the individual and small group markets. Requires the Secretary to provide for loans and grants to persons applying to become qualified nonprofit health insurance issuers. Sets forth provisions governing the establishment and operation of CO-OP program plans. (Sec. 1323, deleted by Sec. 10104) (Sec. 1324, as modified by Sec. 10104) Declares that health insurance coverage offered by a private health insurance issuer shall not be subject to federal or state laws if a qualified health plan offered under the CO-OP program is not subject to such law. Part IV: State Flexibility to Establish Alternative Programs - (Sec. 1331, as modified by Sec. 10104) Requires the Secretary to establish a basic health program under which a state may enter into contracts to offer one or more standard health plans providing at least the essential health benefits to eligible individuals in lieu of offering such individuals coverage through an Exchange. Sets forth requirements for such a plan. Transfers funds that would have gone to the Exchange for such individuals to the state.

Now I was unable to find exactly what a company has to do to be considered "qualified" but it most certainly is in the bill, that you must chose from a carrier IN the exchange.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I'm asking him where he got his ideas; see thread.Correct. You dont seem to know what a health exchange is. (But you know you're threatened by it! )

Health insurance exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaCorrect; see thread.

good; you could see thread, but it's better to find out for yourself.

I am not threatened by anything. I simply do not like the government deciding what they feel is acceptable coverage. The exchange IS set up by the government. The government will decide what companies are allowed in the exchange and I can only chose from that exchange. If that is not the government telling me what type of health care is acceptable I don't know what is. Right now I have Cigna and I like Cigna, so if Cigna does not do everything the government says they can not be in the exchange and I can not chose them. That is WRONG. The government should not make that choice FOR me.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I am not threatened by anything. I simply do not like the government deciding what they feel is acceptable coverage. The exchange IS set up by the government. The government will decide what companies are allowed in the exchange and I can only chose from that exchange. If that is not the government telling me what type of health care is acceptable I don't know what is. Right now I have Cigna and I like Cigna, so if Cigna does not do everything the government says they can not be in the exchange and I can not chose them. That is WRONG. The government should not make that choice FOR me.
"I simply do not like the government deciding what they feel is acceptable coverage. ... The government will decide what companies are allowed in the exchange and I can only chose from that exchange. If that is not the government telling me what type of health care is acceptable I don't know what is."

CyberQueen, see page 1 of the thread.

The language you're talking about has to do with far-fringe, scam-type outfits that no one would buy from. It protects you, or rather people who might otherwise consider buying from such places. I dont want to have to go look at that thing again but you can find the language.

Nobody said the ins exchange is not set up by the govt, but you still seem to think it's sinister in some way. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies