Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Good. It's none of Wal-Mart's business what he does off work, medical marijuana or recreational marijuana. Unless it affects his job performance or safety, which it doesn't, they should leave him alone.
I agree with you in principle but that is not the law. The law states that, absent a contract of employment, you are an at will employee. You may be fired at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. That is why it is called "at will" employment. You may also quit for any reason at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM

What we should discuss instead of this single case is the whole idea of "at will" employment. While it is the law now, I have never agreed with it. I think that the law should give all employees rights on the job and especially the right to some form of due process should an employer dismiss them after an initial probationary period of 6 months. I don't believe a Manager should have the right to just walk up to somebody that has worked at a business for years- even decades - and fire them for no good reason. They should be entitled to have their day in court or at least before an impartial labour board.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Soooo..... Where's the ACLU when it comes to people that smoke cigarettes (on their own time) being denied jobs or even fired?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There was a previous thread about this, when the gentleman was fired.

I think it should be pointed out that Wal-Mart is obligated to follow federal guidelines regarding drug use by its employees, even in the case of medical marijuana.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...Mart+marijuana
I thought you got fired for being OFF your medications.

Probably less than 10% of Americans are not taking one drug or another, with the majority (maybe) on prescription drugs.

I'm sure Big Pharma put WalMart up to firing people medicating with non-Big Pharma drugs.

Last edited by ergohead; 06-29-2010 at 06:47 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
What we should discuss instead of this single case is the whole idea of "at will" employment. While it is the law now, I have never agreed with it. I think that the law should give all employees rights on the job and especially the right to some form of due process should an employer dismiss them after an initial probationary period of 6 months. I don't believe a Manager should have the right to just walk up to somebody that has worked at a business for years- even decades - and fire them for no good reason. They should be entitled to have their day in court or at least before an impartial labour board.

Well . . if the employer is a Corporation, YA!

But not if the employer is not a Corporation.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Well . . if the employer is a Corporation, YA!

But not if the employer is not a Corporation.
Even if it is not a corporation. It does not matter. Employees should have rights. Even if it is a small business. Let's say that there is a receptionist that works for a motel. She has worked there faithfully for 30 years. Many people do even at jobs like this. Then a new owner buys the motel and he just decides he wants somebody else there so he says "you are fired". Do you think that is right? I don't. She should be able to go to a judge or a labour board and either get her job back or be awarded a severance package based on the time she worked there and contributed to that business. I would award her a week's pay for every year she was there and make them continue her medical and life insurance for a year.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
The simple solution is to take marajuana off the list of illegal drugs that are screened for. Now, if only there was a way to do such a thing....

Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Even if it is not a corporation. It does not matter. Employees should have rights. Even if it is a small business. Let's say that there is a receptionist that works for a motel. She has worked there faithfully for 30 years. Many people do even at jobs like this. Then a new owner buys the motel and he just decides he wants somebody else there so he says "you are fired". Do you think that is right? I don't. She should be able to go to a judge or a labour board and either get her job back or be awarded a severance package based on the time she worked there and contributed to that business. I would award her a week's pay for every year she was there and make them continue her medical and life insurance for a year.
You support Justice Roberts in his Decision that Corporations are persons of the same rank as Ergohead?

Ergohead is a natural person, Corporations are not.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:47 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
If I bought a business I'd probably want to employ people I know and trust. Sorry. It would be up to the prior owners to make arrangements for her dontcha think? The new folks don't owe anyone anything.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Soooo..... Where's the ACLU when it comes to people that smoke cigarettes (on their own time) being denied jobs or even fired?
Evidence, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies