Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
If you are searching tit for tat, you could educate yourself in the plethora of barbaric methods of muslims in the concomitant time period. The Inquisition began due to their constant pillaging, rape and torture of Christian villages of the time. A sordid tidbit for sure.
I am against all religions because horrific punishments for perceived moral crimes are all rooted in religion of any kind. Christianity is no exception.

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/murderers.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I can see you refuse to discuss the subject at hand in context and repeatedly attempt to take others off on unrelated tangents. Perhaps a course on understanding the Bible as a work of literature would help you understand the writings in a historical perspective. Most colleges offer this as an entry level religion course. I'll not entertain you further in your subject departures.
Tell me, how does study of the Bible in a historical perspective shed understanding on stoning a bride to death in front of her parents because she was thought not to be a virgin?

Old 07-05-2010, 01:59 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Tell me, how does study of the Bible in a historical perspective shed understanding on stoning a bride to death in front of her parents because she was thought not to be a virgin?
Wow, I must have missed that story in the MSM. Care to give a link as to when that happened?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Wow, I must have missed that story in the MSM. Care to give a link as to when that happened?
During Bible times, the book which is the foundation for Christians. The only thing that has tempered these horrific theocratic punishments has been our democratic government-not Christianity.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:08 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
During Bible times, the book which is the foundation for Christians. The only thing that has tempered these horrific theocratic punishments has been our democratic government-not Christianity.
When were these "Bible times" and when did they end, or did they?

So you're saying that there are Christians out there right now in America debating on whether to break the law and kill their non-virgin daughter or to go against their religion by not killing them? Where are these people? I don't think I've ever met one. This is indeed perplexing.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM

454 posts, read 482,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
The fake sympathy here makes me ill, if the woman was killed by an Israeli or American bomb no one would give a crap.
Do you compare killing by a bomb to killing by stoning?
Or do you protect the ideology of Killing by stoning?

YouTube - THE STONING OF SORAYA M. - Official Trailer

Old 07-05-2010, 02:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
I am against all religions because horrific punishments for perceived moral crimes are all rooted in religion of any kind. Christianity is no exception.

This kind of extreme but generalized blanket statement seems a transparency into one's lack of basic self awareness, lack of appreciation for history, archaeology, ancient cultures and literature. Certainly signals an immature, if not dismal life view. No matter, as you definitely are not alone; legions of bland and vapid souls live out their lives in similar lockstep. I don't embrace any particular religion, but do appreciate the best that each has to offer. The expectation for man in general to somehow remain innocent from commission of violent crime and immorality would reveal an adolescent mindset at best. That man has, down through time, committed horrible acts for some "cause" is integral to human nature, not specific to a religion.

Last edited by lilypad; 07-05-2010 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Quote:

Missionaries or Murderers? - The Christianising of Europe – Torture
Many Christians will claim that we "take things out of context"

Old 07-05-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
When were these "Bible times" and when did they end, or did they?

So you're saying that there are Christians out there right now in America debating on whether to break the law and kill their non-virgin daughter or to go against their religion by not killing them? Where are these people? I don't think I've ever met one. This is indeed perplexing.
It would, if our country was a theocracy. Remember the witch burnings here in America?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
This kind of extreme but generalized blanket statement seems a transparency into one's lack of basic self awareness, lack of appreciation for history, archaeology, ancient cultures and literature. Certainly signals an immature, if not dismal life view. No matter, as you definitely are not alone; legions of bland and vapid souls live out their lives in similar lockstep. I don't embrace any particular religion, but do appreciate the best that each has to offer. The expectation for man in general to somehow remain innocent from commission of violent crime and immorality would reveal an adolescent mindset at best. That man has, down through time, committed horrible acts for some "cause" is integral to human nature, not specific to a religion.
You are claiming that religion does not have a history of violence? You are claiming that harsh physical punishments for "moral" crimes is not rooted in some religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies