Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in public schools?
Yes 71 19.09%
No 295 79.30%
I don't know/No opinion 6 1.61%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
To teach that creationism is a viable theory, as is evolution and/or the Big Bang is not equivalent to endorsing a particular religion.
The keyword you are missing is "scientific".

Creationism is not a viable "scientific" theory.

If people want Creationism taught (no doubt the biblical form of course) then teach it in a philosophy class. It ain't science.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, we're not. I'm not going over this again b/c you're refusing to pay attention, apparently.

Who cares? We never once said there was evidence to back it up aside from the Bible and we are using the word "theory" loosely. I have also said "evolution/BBT" b/c that is what is equivalent to our version of creation. God created the universe and then everything in it...thus, BBT followed by evolution.
Well it's the Biblical Literalists that irk me.

But you are still proposing to inject religion into a public school classroom. The courts won't permit.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Who is suggesting we teach religion in school? To teach that creationism is a viable theory, as is evolution and/or the Big Bang...
It isn't even in the same ball park.

There is no evidence that supports the theories espoused by creationist, none!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
No, but then again, I don't think English teachers should teach History or Gym teachers teach Math just because some schools have a glut of those kind of teachers and a shortage of others. The people who know what they are talking about should teach what they know.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Those of us who HAVE studied the science behind it know it to be a fact, not just an idea "with some merit."
I'm still waiting for you to post those facts that support creationism that you stated were in the Bible. Talk about devaluing an argument.

Quote:
5. I don't care about the science behind it. I have other things to do than to spend a whole day reading through articles trying to fully understand "evolution." Considering I've been fighting tooth and nail without fully understanding it, just imagine how hard I would fight once I had points to rebutt.
Now that is one telling comment. You know nothing of what you claim to be against, you could care to study the issue yet you think that some credibility is in order because your argument is based purely on religious zealotry. Perhaps if you actually studied even basic biology you would realize just how absurd your arguments would be.

Quote:
7. Creationism would teach critical thinking skills in that it teaches people to weigh the arguments and make a choice for themselves.
Folks have all the time in the world to study creationism but when it comes expending such time and expense in a public school classroom when there is a vast amount of real science that students need to be concerned with, there just isn't enough time or money to waste on 6 century BCE myths of middle eastern goat herders,

Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
What a lot of people don't realize is that "creationism" is not some new scientific idea trying to assail the fortress of evolutionary orthodoxy. Creationism actually was the orthodoxy for centuries; it was the prevailing explanation for the origin and diversity of species and was held by the vast majority of naturalists and "scientists" all the way until Darwin published Origin of Species.

Evolution replaced creationism as the result of a fair and robust competition of ideas. It won because it was the superior idea, with the best evidence and reasoning in its favor. Creationism did not lose the fight because of atheistic prejudice... it was rejected by scientists who were for the most part Christians and Bible believers because the evidence demanded it.

Creationism was consigned to the dustbin of discredited scientific ideas (along with orgone energy, the luminiferous aether, and demon possession) because it was replaced by a better one.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
God will repay evil with justice---they'll get their's.
Why wait? What's the advantage to allowing the evil to grow and prosper to just "deal with it at a later time?"

Quote:
It shows that enough people are bad, though. And given the chance, I think more would be if not for society's norms.
We're in agreement here that it's socialization that plays the major part in moral behavior, not the threat of divine judgement.

Quote:
It does show what people will do when they are given a chance, though.

Not really. Alcoholism is an addiction. Given the chance though, we will do what we want to do--and if we want to get drunk, we will.

I do believe Christianity is the one true religion. To believe it is true along with others is intellectually inconsistent, as they contradict each other.

To suggest mutiple religions are true is post-modernism.
I suggest that none of them are true. All are a hangover from the neolithic and bronze ages. We're responsible for ourselves and to ourselves, not to some angry middle eastern sky-god.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
NO! Creationism should be taught were it belongs in religious settings such as places of worship or religious schools.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
This debate begs the question: if Creationism is to be taught, what exactly is going to be taught?

How can you "teach" Creationism, especially in a secular sense?

You can't.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Do the majority of Americans believe in creationism though? And do they believe it should be taught in public schools. That is the question. My mom is a Christian and she doesn't believe it should be taught in schools so believing in Christianity and wanting creationism to be taught in school doesn't go hand in hand.
By acknowledging that no other but Biblical stories on creationism be taught, andrea3821 has accepted that the support to teach creationism is about bringing Bible into the schools and sticking to it.

Quote:
I'm aware of this. Are you saying I don't practice what I preach?
No. I couldn't care less if you practice that you preach. For that matter, a lot of people practice that they preach and, to me, they aren't Christians at all because their preaching couldn't be farther from that of Jesus'.

The point I had made wasn't about you, but response to the point you made that it is Christian to believe in the literal story of creation. And you never responded to the main portion of my response to you (on micro and macro evolution). Are we done there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies