Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
If you're saying that America is becoming too spoiled and that citizen's are beginning to expect the government to take care of themselves too much, I agree with you one hundred percent. People here are losing the independent, do-it-yourself spirit that made us great and are becoming way to Europeanized in that we expect Big Brother to watch over us and make sure we live a happy life.
Thank you for understanding, and you're driving at the point I was trying to make.

I didn't want to look like I was bashing the country or anything (there's no where else I'd rather be ) I just think too many people here intertwine politics with almost everything in society. I wasn't too fond of Bush either, but who knows enough of the truth to start ignorantly bashing the guy beyond recognition? I doubt he's proud to be an American after 8 years of the BS he had to eat.
There's a a HUGE lack of honesty in this nations government. IF anything serious was to happen to this nation we need to rely on ourselves more so than relying on the forever corrupt government. Plain and simple.

Great presidents are killed (Lincoln & Kennedy)- It's like being a great president is being a sacrifice.
The government will ALWAYS be under so much pressure, and we're the only one's to blame in those terms because of it.

Corrupt people = corrupt government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:04 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,136 times
^Agree with you completely

Quote:
Something tell me neither has been to Europe or any Europe adjacent society, like Quebec or Mexico City.
No I have never been to Mexico or Canada, surprisingly. I have been to Europe though. I spent a semester in college in Ireland and travelled about Western Europe through Great Britain, France, the Alps, and down to Rome and back. I liked Ireland but was not especially fond of the rest of Europe that I saw; Switzerland was pretty damn cool though I guess.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:15 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Don't underestimate the number of "happy" people in the U.S. They just aren't always on the streets and visible in our urban areas, which is another subject for another thread.
Plus everyone needs to remember that in the United States it is the squeaky wheel that gets the media coverage.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
"Do you get tired of being an American?"

Never. But I do get tired of being a Chicagoan sometimes. There are too many dip****s around me.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
I just got back from a lovely trip through the Netherlands visiting friends in Amsterdam and in several small cities in Freisland.

I travel frequently throughout Europe and Latin America for business and pleasure.

Apart from the how orderly and clean it is...one thing that strikes you is how happy people there seem ( inspite of the weather).

The streets are full of life , multigenerational groups including young kids with glowing happy faces walking , biking and enjoying their high quality of life together.

I always get the same questions asked of me and my country....Why are Americans so crazy and mixed up? What are you people thinking? What's with all the nationalism? Why don't you take care of your people first? What's the deal with Sarah Palin and George Bush? Have you lost it?

I never have an answer.
I get more tired of Europeans who fancy themselves as oh-so-worldly asking Americans ignorant questions.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM

124 posts, read 558,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
I just got back from a lovely trip through the Netherlands visiting friends in Amsterdam and in several small cities in Freisland.

I travel frequently throughout Europe and Latin America for business and pleasure.

Apart from the how orderly and clean it is...one thing that strikes you is how happy people there seem ( inspite of the weather).

The streets are full of life , multigenerational groups including young kids with glowing happy faces walking , biking and enjoying their high quality of life together.

I always get the same questions asked of me and my country....Why are Americans so crazy and mixed up? What are you people thinking? What's with all the nationalism? Why don't you take care of your people first? What's the deal with Sarah Palin and George Bush? Have you lost it?

I never have an answer.
How many of those same people would jump at the chance of becoming an American? I would say quite a few.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Sometimes.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
WTF?

Bush didn't have jack **** to do with BP, the financial meltdown, or Katrina other than helping those people out. When they finally got help (no thanks to their inept mayor & governor at the time) they abused it & started firing rounds at the very people trying to save their sorry asses.

Obama has treated this BP disaster & New Orleans like an old Pontiac. Keep driving it while its leaking oil till it finally quits on you in the middle of a busy intersection.
You need to get a grip and read a little.
The energy laws were written by Cheney & the energy companies.
The requirements were relaxed under Bush.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:52 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I don't agree with everything my country does, but I will never be tired of being an American and feel damn lucky to have been born here.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I just like living somewhere you can always find a decent working toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies