Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times

Advertisements

I think that allowing people to opt out of paying for Social Security would just leave millions of Americans in old age with no way of taking care of themselves. I can totally picture people opting out of the system for the large tax break, telling themselves "Oh, I'll just take this extra cash for now and save for retirement later" and then when retirement comes they still haven't saved any money and there is no means for them to take care of themselves. Those people are still going to fall into the state's care, only it is going to be much more expensive than if they had a SS check coming into their pocket every month.

As for the increasing age to claim benefits, I think 70 is still too low. The year that you can claim social security should scale with the increases in life expectancy. When social security was implemented over half a century ago, it wasn't all that common for people to live into their 70s, let alone 80s. Now, I bet most of those baby boomers will live into their 80s. Such a system is bound to break unless the retirement age is raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:52 AM

59,014 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I partially disagree. Those stuck in minimum wage will never be able to save. Eventually health problems occur, housing in many places is overpriced and so is transit because in most situations a car is necessary. Not to mention unemployed periods of time, etc.

Those in the lower class are forced to work until their bodies fail them, then they might as well be sent over to the "hall of the useless" as Ayn Rand put it in Anthem. (funny that capitalism can produce the same things that she feared communism would)

Those in the middle and upper classes have no one to blame but themselves.
The question to ask is, "why are they stuck in the lower class?".

it is not my fault they dropped out of high school or had babies before they got an education.

You make your bed, you lie in it.

This is the Land of Opportunity. If someone does not take advantage of the opportunities out there, that is not my problem.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:54 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
ss is one of the few benefits of being a senior citizen. leave the fund alone!

also consider the baby boomers are the last generation that will live longer lives. the country is getting fatter as i type this message. generation x and their children will not live as long as the boomers so it won't be as taxing on the system.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The question to ask is, "why are they stuck in the lower class?".

it is not my fault they dropped out of high school or had babies before they got an education.

You make your bed, you lie in it.

This is the Land of Opportunity. If someone does not take advantage of the opportunities out there, that is not my problem.
Oh but it is now and you WILL be taxed to insure that everyone ends up being equalized..everyone is a winner.

So, work harder because more people are falling lower on the scale.
47% do not pay Federal income tax yet 100% are entitled to the benefits.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Life Expectancy

If people saved on their own and were not forced to pay into SS this would be a non-issue. Never let the government have the means to control your life! You think you're screwed because they are raising the SS recipient age? Wait until the rationing of Obamcare kicks in. Geriaticide.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh but it is now and you WILL be taxed to insure that everyone ends up being equalized..everyone is a winner.

So, work harder because more people are falling lower on the scale.
47% do not pay Federal income tax yet 100% are entitled to the benefits.
that needs to change!!!!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Life Expectancy

If people saved on their own and were not forced to pay into SS this would be a non-issue. Never let the government have the means to control your life! You think you're screwed because they are raising the SS recipient age? Wait until the rationing of Obamcare kicks in. Geriaticide.
ya right...kill grandma

Old 07-11-2010, 08:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
that needs to change!!!!
Oh I don't disagree with you. But voting history is telling.
How many career politicians are in DC ?
How many keep getting reelected term after term after term ?

The voting populace have short memories and are gullible to campaign promises and the politicians are very well aware of that.

With the dumbing down of Americans..this will only get worse, not better.

Just try to discuss the Bush tax cuts with someone. Many will just parrot what they heard on MSM from the administration and cannot even tell you what the Bush tax cuts are..just that it benefits the rich and the rich have to pay.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The problem today is that there are fewer and fewer people that have the ability to retire on their own dime. That is an inherent problem with transferring wealth to the upper "class".
I grew up pretty freaking poor and I am retired at age 40. The problem is everyone thinks you need to be rich to retire when in fact all you need to do is get yourself into a position where you income is greater than your expenses and your savings is large enough to cover 3 to 4 major emergencies, past that everything else is just gravy.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I don't disagree with you. But voting history is telling.
How many career politicians are in DC ?
How many keep getting reelected term after term after term ?

The voting populace have short memories and are gullible to campaign promises and the politicians are very well aware of that.

With the dumbing down of Americans..this will only get worse, not better.

Just try to discuss the Bush tax cuts with someone. Many will just parrot what they heard on MSM from the administration and cannot even tell you what the Bush tax cuts are..just that it benefits the rich and the rich have to pay.
i disagree with you the bush tax cuts. ($1.3T i believe) i don't care who the hurt or benefited... they were not prudent during war times. but we'll agree that all employed citizens should pay federal income taxes. our system makes no sense to me. it's bad business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies