Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:13 AM

154 posts, read 526,778 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the employment options. But she has already tried all those places. No luck. She looked into the welfare food stamps thing and they indicated it is nearly impossible to get welfare if you are able bodied and without children.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:23 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Tell her to go personally visit every single restaurant in town, at around 4pm every day. Ask to see the manager. Tell the manager she would love to work in that restaurant. She'll have a job in a week, trust me. This works at hotels too. Both are ALWAYS looking for good, initiative-taking people. (Yes, even if she has no experience in hospitality. She'll get something based on her perseverance.)
That's bull for people over 30 and unemployed, not to mention there is a glut of wait staff and kitchen workers in towns with high unemployment where people are eating out less than they used to.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:24 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
She can thank the repubs for that. Apperantly they believe that everyone who has no job is just lazy.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
Thanks everyone for the employment options. But she has already tried all those places. No luck. She looked into the welfare food stamps thing and they indicated it is nearly impossible to get welfare if you are able bodied and without children.
So that's it? This sounds fishy to me.
Ok, I didn't get that she doesn't have any children.

So she is able-bodied and hasn't been able to find ANYTHING in 93 weeks? With no children she could basically work any job at any time. I must admit I am a bit skeptical. What city does she live in?

Something is strange here. I know it wouldn't take me 93 weeks or 10 weeks to find some kind of job. I have a friend who is unemployed with no college either and she is finding jobs in Florida and North Carolina, she just has to choose. She is also looking at low paying jobs.
How about a live in situation for your friend, a care-taker type position. I'm not talking about a skilled nurse or anything. My friend is finding jobs that pay for room/board and they just want someone to drive their elderly family member, cook for them and clean up.
It pays little but provides a room.

Really, if she is looking for non-skilled low paying jobs they ARE out there.
What city is she in?

Old 07-17-2010, 06:31 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
She can thank the repubs for that. Apperantly they believe that everyone who has no job is just lazy.
No job in 93 weeks??? And no obligations such as children? Come on, I could find a job in a week under these conditions. She is not looking for a certain pay because the OP admits she doesn't have any skills.

Sorry, I am not being unrealistic but something is not right. Now that her 93 weeks is over (NINETY THREE!!) she is seriously looking! What did she do for the last two years, lay on the couch??

The "repubs" have a right to questions especially if WE the tax payers have been giving her money FREE for 93 weeks!!
And BTW, trlhiker, We repubs do not believe that "everyone who has no job is just lazy" Some are and some are not. But 93 weeks without a job does show some lack of motivation IMO. Of course there are many different situations.

Last edited by Booya; 07-17-2010 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: added

Old 07-17-2010, 07:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
No, the Repubs want the money used for the extension to be offset with cuts somewhere else.

This is the PayGo that Congress passed.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
And what happens if they did extend it 6 more weeks...I don't see that life will return to BAU in 6 weeks. Would that mean 6 more weeks and 6 more weeks ?

The V shaped recovery folks have woken up from their dream state and realize this will be no V shaped recovery..U shaped or worse L shaped where we will see years of stagnant, sluggish movement.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, the Repubs want the money used for the extension to be offset with cuts somewhere else.
If that's really what they want, the extension could be offset by either increased revenues or decreased expenditures. Easy fix - let the Bush tax cuts expire as the law currently says. That would more than offset the $35 billion for an extension of unemployment benefits, and would return tax rates to the levels during the Clinton administration ... you remember, the last time the economy did just fine?

Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
No job in 93 weeks??? And no obligations such as children? Come on, I could find a job in a week under these conditions. She is not looking for a certain pay because the OP admits she doesn't have any skills.

Sorry, I am not being unrealistic but something is not right. Now that her 93 weeks is over (NINETY THREE!!) she is seriously looking! What did she do for the last two years, lay on the couch??

The "repubs" have a right to questions especially if WE the tax payers have been giving her money FREE for 93 weeks!!
And BTW, trlhiker, We repubs do not believe that "everyone who has no job is just lazy" Some are and some are not. But 93 weeks without a job does show some lack of motivation IMO. Of course there are many different situations.
This.

Ninety three friggin' weeks!

Old 07-17-2010, 08:14 AM

561 posts, read 506,010 times
Why is she only looking for government programs? In almost every city and town in the country there are nonprofit organizations that provide all sorts of social services.

Necessity is the mother of invention. It sounds like she needs to change her approach or maybe her geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies