Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well you may have no problems but have you heard the responses from the family members who lost loved ones that day? I have a friend who daughter lived within a few blocks. At the time the daughter had a little boy who was about 9 years old. He is still having emotional adjustments. Ask they how they feel?

Nita
They are happy that most New Yorkers are mature enough to see that extremist Muslims do not make up the majority.

I wonder how the families of Muslims who died in 9/11 feel about being treated like trash by so called "Patriotic Americans"? I recently read an article (wish I could find it now) where a Muslim doctor was speaking about the Muslim community center and people were screaming "murderer" at her from the crowd. She rushed to the scene on that day to treat people and lost her son, a 23 year old Muslim paramedic, who rushed into the buildings before they collapsed to save lives. I guess because they're Muslim, they don't matter.

People embarrass me. Any "American" that feels that they should not build it does not deserve their time or concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 07:47 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,494 times
What does this have to do with Obama? Is he the mayor of New York now?

This conservative insanity is getting out of control.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well you may have no problems but have you heard the responses from the family members who lost loved ones that day? I have a friend who daughter lived within a few blocks. At the time the daughter had a little boy who was about 9 years old. He is still having emotional adjustments. Ask they how they feel?

Nita

What does that have to do with a mosque?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,240,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
What a slap in the face to Americans! Is this Obama's idea of a joke? 911 changed the life of so many. What's going on that Americans would consider going along with this. There are Mosques everywhere why does it have to be there? The place where so many were murdered should be considered hollowed ground now and a dedication of respectful monument should be built and placed there for the surviving family, friends and those who ventured in to help save lives and clean up should be the only thing there. I'm discusted with Obama allowing something like this to occur, but then again, is Obama truly american?
I hate Obama as much as any other non liberal, BUT he has NOTHING to do with this. It's a state/local issue. I think the mosque shouldn't be built, but it was NYS and NYC that allowed this, not Obama. The federal government would have zero power to not allow this.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
My cousin sent me this:
Pat Condell on Ground Zero mosque: "Is it possible to be astonished, but not surprised?" - Jihad Watch

Is it true they plan to open it on the 10th anniversary of 911????

I won't be a bit sad if it catches fire, & the NYFD gets "lost" on the way to put out the fire....

Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
The only problem I have with the mosque would be if it were run by Islamic fundementalists. Let's not kid ourselves here - the 911 site is considered Holy Ground by Islamic fundies and the terrorists as martyrs. I would like clarification of the type of Islam these potential worshippers follow. If it is a moderate i.e. sane version of Islam then I really don't have a problem. If its the sharia law caveman Islam then what a horrible idea. I would fear that this center/mosque would become a Holy Shrine to the murderers.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The only problem I have with the mosque would be if it were run by Islamic fundementalists. Let's not kid ourselves here - the 911 site is considered Holy Ground by Islamic fundies and the terrorists as martyrs. I would like clarification of the type of Islam these potential worshippers follow. If it is a moderate i.e. sane version of Islam then I really don't have a problem. If its the sharia law caveman Islam then what a horrible idea. I would fear that this center/mosque would become a Holy Shrine to the murderers.
Do you think gays will be welcome at this mosque if it's not run by fundamentalists?

The reality is, that "moderate" muslims are still incredibly devout compared to the average american.

So I ask the people in support of this place, which is being touted as a place of tolerance and understanding, will homosexuals be welcome there?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Leaving all the Obama hating fringe comments aside, this has nothing to do with the president. And to those who cry about muslims being killed in the attacks as justification for this bad idea, Of course they were killed. They kill each other all the time with their car and suicide bombers. Honestly, they have a large part of the world to themselves where they can behead the infidel and stone their black sack wearing women to death to their hearts content. I would hope that reason will prevail and this mosque will never be built on this sensitive ground. Isn't NYC still processing the failed muslim Times Square bomber? And aren't they on high alert against muslim bomb threats and attempts on their subway system?

I live three miles from the Pentagon and vividly remember the events of 9/11. I also live not far from the small Falls Church VA mosque where the imam who advised the Fort Hood shooter preached. That imam has since fled the country and calls for death to Americans from overseas.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
What a slap in the face to Americans!
If a slap to the face stops all this hysteria, I'm all for it.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Leaving all the Obama hating fringe comments aside, this has nothing to do with the president. And to those who cry about muslims being killed in the attacks as justification for this bad idea, Of course they were killed. They kill each other all the time with their car and suicide bombers. Honestly, they have a large part of the world to themselves where they can behead the infidel and stone their black sack wearing women to death to their hearts content. I would hope that reason will prevail and this mosque will never be built on this sensitive ground. Isn't NYC still processing the failed muslim Times Square bomber? And aren't they on high alert against muslim bomb threats and attempts on their subway system?

I live three miles from the Pentagon and vividly remember the events of 9/11. I also live not far from the small Falls Church VA mosque where the imam who advised the Fort Hood shooter preached. That imam has since fled the country and calls for death to Americans from overseas.
Yeah, I think some lefties think for some reason this center will take the target sign away from the WTC. Untrue, muslims kill each other all the time in places like Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan.

And which sect will this place cater to? Will sunnis and shiis be using it, or is it going to be for one and not the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies