Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM

720 posts, read 691,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....the question is did oppression, via discrimination and racism, victimize a people. Was that not economical, geographical, cultural and psychological terrorism against black people?

My point was simple. Even though people may fall under the same umbrella of victimization.....it does not mean that each individual is impacted to the same degree. Within every circumstance there are very degrees of that circumstance. On 911 in the twin towers everyone was under the umbrella of the attack on those building, however, under that umbrella victimization were varying degrees of impact and uniqueness that resulted in some surviving and some dying. The same abstract principle holds true for blacks as well. Yes, the umbrella of racism and oppression fell over blacks in this nation, but under that umbrella not all experienced the same degree of oppression and circumstance. Hence, one cannot say that because someone managed to prosper despite those conditions that those who were not able to prosper are somehow, by default, at fault. That is what you tried to suggest with your story. Do you think black people are not aware of successful black people who came from nothing? My reasoning has always included those truths.
Thank you for clarifying... I now understand what you were meaning. You are correct that not everyone suffered the same degree as others. But I have gathered from your posts, and I might be wrong, that are willing to accept the alleged reasoning, being racism, for this boys actions. I clearly understand you do not condone it, but you are accepting it(alleged racism is why he chose to shoot people) as logical reasoning.

Again, I go back to my pedophile comparison. One does not condone it, but accepts that "because it happened to him...", as a logical "reasoning" for the pedophile actions.......It is far from logical to me.

The meaning of the word racism is being over used and over extended(in any group of people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
according to an ex girlfriend, Thornton may have had a history of crying racism at other workplaces. I'm far more incline to believe that this is less a case of widespread workplace racism and more a case of someone w/ questionable mental health blowing things out of proportion

Conn. shooter told 911 he `handled the problem' - Boston.com

"Thornton's ex-girlfriend, Jessica Anne Brocuglio, said he had a history of racial problems with co-workers at other jobs and believed he was denied pay raises because of his race.

She said he told her: "I'm sick of having to quit jobs and get another job because they can't accept me.""

apparently, none of the other blacks or non whites working at the company had issues:

""The Hispanics and the blacks were telling me they've never seen anything they're accusing the company of in the bathrooms or anywhere else at HDI," he said. "It's never been separated white, black, Asian. It's never been like that.""

can we go back to remembering the actual VICTIMS in this tragedy and less about the oh-so-fragile mentality of a killer who admitted he wished he had killed more people:

"Anthony Napolitano, the son-in-law of victim Victor James, 60, of Windsor, said James treated everyone equally, regardless of race or religion.

Truck driver David Zylberman, a 34-year employee of the company, said that the racism claims "pissed me off because they were good people."
I wonder why he dated all these white women if he saw racism every place? Why would they not be out to get him too?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

She said he told her: "I'm sick of having to quit jobs and get another job because they can't accept me.""

Here is the thing, this comment could be taken as, yes, he was being discriminated against. OR OR, maybe he just had a bad attitude and suffered from a sense of entitlement?

Probably never know, I do know that this comment alone does not shed any light on or prove anything ...

Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This case is far from closed and the "scumbag" accomplished his goal. Our local news station just reported about this saying that he had killed the other eight and called 911 stating that the people in the company were racist and treated blacks bad. Not one word was said about the reason he had started shooting beyond race.

It is sort of like Obama blaming Bush for everything he does wrong. It is time for everyone to take responsibility for their own acts.

Now, having said that there is something I want to know about this situation. So far the shooter is the only one talking. I am sure the company issued its statement for legal reasons and beyond that their hands are tied. I want to hear about the people who were shot and the obit. of their lives. What is the name or names of the funeral homes in this area and the names of the persons killed. They can't talk because they are dead, but their lives can speak for them. I want to know about their lives if their families give permission.

I so feel for these families of the victims. I tried to call the news station to complain about the unfair way they treated the story by not mentioning the reason for his being fired. It gave me the feeling they thought his actions were justified and he was a hero.

Your thread title is right on target. What is wrong with people?
Sounds like paranoid\schizophrenic to me. He probably had a hard time dealing with others and society and latched onto that. I still think it's a mental health issue with the guy and so whether he called the station complaining about racism or that they were reading his thoughts or whatever....it still doesn't make the issue about racism.

I guess that I just have a hard time putting any faith in the mental state and resulting observations of someone that killed a bunch of people and then themselves.

Last edited by Mathguy; 08-06-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
I wonder why he dated all these white women if he saw racism every place? Why would they not be out to get him too?
IS..I do applaud your concern for racism and its existence in America.
But I think this case does not deserve your concern if it truly was perceived in the head of the shooter and not real at all.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Extreme hatred, and evilness, has no barrier when it comes to color, it comes in all colors and religions, when pushed to the brink, and there is no turning back. And if true, people cannot continue to push, and torment people, this is the result of that.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Thank you for clarifying... I now understand what you were meaning. You are correct that not everyone suffered the same degree as others. But I have gathered from your posts, and I might be wrong, that are willing to accept the alleged reasoning, being racism, for this boys actions. I clearly understand you do not condone it, but you are accepting it(alleged racism is why he chose to shoot people) as logical reasoning.

Again, I go back to my pedophile comparison. One does not condone it, but accepts that "because it happened to him...", as a logical "reasoning" for the pedophile actions.......It is far from logical to me.

The meaning of the word racism is being over used and over extended(in any group of people).
I am not following your use of logical. What I am simply saying is that there is a REASON for everything. The reason does not have to be LOGICAL, but it is nonetheless the TRIGGER of the cause that produces an effect. Actions produce reactions. Furthermore, whats REASON or a trigger for one person might not be a trigger for another. However, its very important to always know the REASON that something tragic happens.....it might help in the future to prevent it from happening again.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I am not following your use of logical. What I am simply saying is that there is a REASON for everything. The reason does not have to be LOGICAL, but it is nonetheless the TRIGGER of the cause that produces an effect. Actions produce reactions. Furthermore, whats REASON or a trigger for one person might not be a trigger for another. However, its very important to always know the REASON that something tragic happens.....it might help in the future to prevent it from happening again.

Agreed!

I guess what I am trying to convey is that no matter the reason, no matter the what ifs, a person is held accountable for their individual actions and to say that "I shot these people because they discriminated against me" is not a reason...it is an excuse...

Especially when we have nothing from anyone, not even his family, to say he tried to do the right thing. Had this boy at least attempted to do it right(IE going to an attorney, legal aid, etc etc or going to his union or whatever) and was met with nothing, then yes, that could possibly trigger his actions. But not give him a logical reason for his actions.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Agreed!

I guess what I am trying to convey is that no matter the reason, no matter the what ifs, a person is held accountable for their individual actions and to say that "I shot these people because they discriminated against me" is not a reason...it is an excuse...

Especially when we have nothing from anyone, not even his family, to say he tried to do the right thing. Had this boy at least attempted to do it right(IE going to an attorney, legal aid, etc etc or going to his union or whatever) and was met with nothing, then yes, that could possibly trigger his actions. But not give him a logical reason for his actions.
Well...keep in mind that you are judging by YOUR value system and hence what is a REASON for him would be not be an REASON for you....or me. However, we are all unique invidividuals. You might like cabbage but cabbage makes me throw up....literally. However, you cannot then come to me and say that the cabbage was not the reason that I trew up......just because it would not make YOU throw up and it would be an EXCUSE for you throwing up and not a reason. People are all wired differently.

I think we have ALL established that the reasons given in no way justfifies his actions. However, murders happen everyday in which I feel the same way......it was not worth killing someone over.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM

Darnit! I love corned beef and cabbage..literally.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies