Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How about STAYING HOME and wait by the LAND LINE for that call? A basic land line costs $14/month with voiemail.

I live in a house with five other unrelated adults. NOBODY in this house is willing to put up with a landline.

Every ring of the phone would be a major annoyance for at least FOUR people. NOBODY is interested in taking messages for everybody else OR hearing the phone ring all day for somebody else.

And if you're actually out looking for a job, having to stay home and wait for calls is a major PITA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:34 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you hurry you can probably still cash in on it. I don't think the FCC has completed their database yet.

I took the cheap route and got a prepaid Tracfone. And I don't qualify for food stamps, so I'm probably not even eligible.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I live in a house with five other unrelated adults. NOBODY in this house is willing to put up with a landline.

Every ring of the phone would be a major annoyance for at least FOUR people. NOBODY is interested in taking messages for everybody else OR hearing the phone ring all day for somebody else.

And if you're actually out looking for a job, having to stay home and wait for calls is a major PITA.
So .... you could easily get a phone line wired into your bedroom, or wherever yous stay in your house. No one said it had to be utilized by anyone else in the house but you.

They also have answering machines, which are free, and allow message taking without the use of another human being. Most phones also have a ringer volume switch, which allow the ringer volume to be turned off when you're not home.

Just 'sayin.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
So .... you could easily get a phone line wired into your bedroom, or wherever yous stay in your house. No one said it had to be utilized by anyone else in the house but you.

They also have answering machines, which are free, and allow message taking without the use of another human being. Most phones also have a ringer volume switch, which allow the ringer volume to be turned off when you're not home.

Just 'sayin.
Putting in landlines isn't free and if you move around a lot...well, you see the problem right? It's not technology, it just that you personally don't like the idea of someone keeping up with "whatever" if they are poor. They shouldn't, they should suffer and get the leftovers nobody else wants. Snail mail and telegrams would work too but you're probably too young to remember when people thought they were good enough to keep in touch with anyone you needed to. You have strange expectations because of some fear/hatred/anger and are directing it at the wrong thing.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Putting in landlines isn't free and if you move around a lot...well, you see the problem right? It's not technology, it just that you personally don't like the idea of someone keeping up with "whatever" if they are poor. They shouldn't, they should suffer and get the leftovers nobody else wants. Snail mail and telegrams would work too but you're probably too young to remember when people thought they were good enough to keep in touch with anyone you needed to. You have strange expectations because of some fear/hatred/anger and are directing it at the wrong thing.
Uh, lots of assumptions here. I was responding directly to that poster, and his issues with getting a landline, most of which were completely untrue.

"Putting in landlines" isn't all that expensive at all, and most phone companies will do so for free, if establishing service. Not to mention, there likely isn't a home built in the last century that doesn't have routed phone lines already in wall. Seriously? Putting in landlines?

In respect to "moving around a lot .... talk about expensive - moving around a lot is extremely expensive. First/Last months's rent, security deposits, credit checks, renting a moving van or paying for movers, cleaning fees for old apartment, shall I go on? How often is someone "poor" moving around?

Snail mail? My age? I'll just ignore those rants.

With that being said, I actually agree with some kind of cell phone plan for poor/unemployed/etc, if regulated and used correctly. In fact, I made the following post on 8/5/10, on page 4 of this thread.

Quote:
Couldn't one argue that it is less expensive to provide someone w/ a phone (to help them find work quickly) than keeping them on the "system" for longer?

I have no evidence of this, just a thought.

Keep in mind .. i am very conservative when it comes to taxes and abuses in the welfare system, but I think there is a bigger picture in this case.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Well the lifeline program only gives you 2 hours a month. What happens when that 2 hours is used up by the 3rd day of the month ?

I don't think Lifeline does a "friends and family" plan either.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Well the lifeline program only gives you 2 hours a month. What happens when that 2 hours is used up by the 3rd day of the month ?

I don't think Lifeline does a "friends and family" plan either.
Then you can only use the phone to call 911.

Or as a door stop.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Quote:
Not for rural areas but I am against subsidized phone service for inner city poor. That's not what USC started out as.

And I am against using USC to subsidize broadband for the inner city poor.

These are NOT rights. Emergency 911 service and that's it.
If they can buy $100 dollar sneakers for their kids, they can certainly afford a landline local service bill of $15/month.
What about home-bound elderly? Many barely make it on their social security and often qualify for food stamps. They can't get out but often have people who call them daily to make sure they are okay. And I can assure you that if they did need assistance (in a non-life threatening situation) it'd be a lot cheaper for them to be able to call a friend than 911.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
What about home-bound elderly? Many barely make it on their social security and often qualify for food stamps. They can't get out but often have people who call them daily to make sure they are okay. And I can assure you that if they did need assistance (in a non-life threatening situation) it'd be a lot cheaper for them to be able to call a friend than 911.
In addition to, or in lieu of the land line service they likely already have?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Quote:
In addition to, or in lieu of the land line service they likely already have?
What if they can't afford a landline (and if they do have one, it's probably subsidized - so should that get yanked)? I ask because some posts are not cell vs landline - but "phones of any kind are a luxury".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies