Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
i have a feeling that you and I would agree on a lot .... BUT i think having phone communications is necessary while looking for work. We want them EMPLOYED, so having a cell phone is helpful.

As said above .. text, data plan? No. Simple cell plan... sure. BUT .. i dont think it should be funded by the Gov.
That's fine but another cell phone user should not have to pay for theirs and help pay for yours too....

and the government does not fund it other cell phone users are funding it..and that just isn't right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Couldn't one argue that it is less expensive to provide someone w/ a phone (to help them find work quickly) than keeping them on the "system" for longer?

I have no evidence of this, just a thought.

Keep in mind .. i am very conservative when it comes to taxes and abuses in the welfare system, but I think there is a bigger picture in this case.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
yes they do have those extras most of us dont have. how to reduce welfare rolls. make clients serve min 3 months of the year as a case worker, subject to same discipline, failure to meet complete compliance results in permanent ineligibility for 3 years for entire family.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:48 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,194,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes they do have those extras most of us dont have. how to reduce welfare rolls. make clients serve min 3 months of the year as a case worker, subject to same discipline, failure to meet complete compliance results in permanent ineligibility for 3 years for entire family.
I had given similar proposal for extended unemployment benefits. You get 4-6 weeks fine, after that it's 20 hours/week reporting for duties like cleaning graffiti, landscaping, painting, cleaning public restrooms, etc. something that can help the community, motivate you to find a better job, and still give you time to look for one.

I think same could work with welfare for able-bodied people, even a required couple days of week of work for the community to get benefits might be enough of a motivator.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I had given similar proposal for extended unemployment benefits. You get 4-6 weeks fine, after that it's 20 hours/week reporting for duties like cleaning graffiti, landscaping, painting, cleaning public restrooms, etc. something that can help the community, motivate you to find a better job, and still give you time to look for one.

I think same could work with welfare for able-bodied people, even a required couple days of week of work for the community to get benefits might be enough of a motivator.
I'm sold on that plan.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,161 times
Yes, my mother-in-law does have a free cell phone through some gov't agency. Not sure what requirement she filled, being a senior or some type of health issues.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
NO the government does NOT provide them, other cell phone owners that pay their bill provide them by the way of a phone tax.....
Gee, who imposes taxes on us. I think I hear the sound of a hair splitting somewhere.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Food is a necessity, cell phones are not!
Food is a necessity, electricity is not!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:25 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside
The government does provide cell phones to welfare recipients. In fact the people at the library I work at call them Obamaphones.
Not very learned at you library are they? Why not call them Reagan phones?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:55 PM

229 posts, read 573,730 times
Whew!! Lots of milage on this post!
Even though I don't have a cell phone, I know most people do and sometimes I wish I did, so I could make sure I get calls for interviews when I am out. It is entirely feasible that she had the phone before she was unemployed. You don't know a person's hardship or circumstances until you have walked in their shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies