Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:02 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post

Why cant American workers make a contract where they get paid for food and housing by their employer in exchange for work? HUH????? Bartering was a temporary exchange ~ money has been around a loooooong time before our Founding Fathers. As for housing. . . I know of farming communities that do provide housing but they're barely above shacks.

Another issue is in how this country organizes itself. The dual gender workforce makes unemployment worse than it should be. If society was organized like prior to the women's rights movement, unemployment wouldnt be so bad right now. Instead of relying on a dual income, you know have one income. Places cannot charge as much otherwise they will die out. You're missing something crucial here. As population expanded, and the cost of living began to rise in the 70's, one paycheck was getting harder and harder to comfortably support a family. And as population expanded, so has divorce rates. I don't know how stay-at-home wives in Europe support themselves after divorce, but here most of them have to work. And in my house bills won't get paid from one paycheck, I can assure you that.

At my job, a few women that earned decent enough wages decided to stay home when they had babies, all because they felt that the cost for childcare wouldn't be worth it. HOWEVER ~ and this is a biggie ~ their husbands earn enough in secure jobs to help them make that decision.

Taking out illegals will help only slightly. The jobs they take dont allow most people to survive. Before all "lower wage" jobs went to illegals, most of them went to high school students and adults with inadequate job skills. It didn't pay a surviving wage but students didn't need a surviving wage, and somehow the under-skilled adults managed. I worked in restaurants that employed them for dishwashers, even line-cooks. I don't know what the unskilled do for work anymore.

And the employment of illegals DID hurt our job market in other ways, and I'll name a good one ~ construction. Those used to be sought-after jobs until construction companies got greedy and decided to pay low wages to those willing to hammer 'n' nail for next to nothing.

They DO keep the county, city, and state prison workers AND police busy, though. I am forever amazed at the number of illegals in the mug-shots and police rosters.

In most of the rest of the world, old people will live with their children when they get older. You dont have the same feeling of being a burden on someone. This is likely to have a gradual change here. Things would have to change a lot in families. For example, WE travel and go here 'n' there all the time . We don't even want to get bogged down by pets, do we don't own any. With in-home eldercare, people like myself would have to completely change our lifestyle.

However, China is starting to change in the other direction, did you know that? Younger parents are deciding to NOT become a burden on their children when they get old. But, again, would be a long transition if it happens.
And that's my side and I'm sticking to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't think all out-sourcing is done for the sake of "making business ends meet". For example, take Maidenform. A few years ago they relocated to either Mexico or some other Central American country. However ~ their hugely increased profits didn't reflect on the costs of their underwear. Their damn bras are still expensive. Sounds like greed to me.
Offshoring only benefits the CEO and no one else. The CEO offshores his or her company because he or she is greedy and wants to make more money. The workers get screwed because they lose their jobs, are forced to take unemployment or support a family on a minimum wage job. Then these folks stop spending money and more people that work in other sectors get laid off.

Take my hometown as an example. Two of the major factories shipped off to Mexico. Those jobs were replaced with low-paying restaurant jobs.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Offshoring only benefits the CEO and no one else. The CEO offshores his or her company because he or she is greedy and wants to make more money.
And that's why CEO jobs don't get offshored, even though there are obviously people in other countries who would do better jobs or at least as good of a job than US CEOs for a lower salary, and reducing CEO salaries would add value for shareholders just like reducing other salaries. Also, offshoring CEO jobs would result in breaking up the "old boys' network" which still exists. (Very much so in fact, given that according to a Business Week article of a few years back 70 percent of US CEOs are still white Protestant males. Notice I said "white Protestant males", not "white males".)

Can you say "double standards"?

Quote:
The workers get screwed because they lose their jobs, are forced to take unemployment or support a family on a minimum wage job. Then these folks stop spending money and more people that work in other sectors get laid off.
The vicious circle.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:51 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Bring back trade tariffs!

Trade tariffs established in the 1910's propelled the roaring 20's and the growth of our industrial base.
I don't normally agree with many of your posts but, I couldn't have said this better. I have said this to my family for a long time.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 PM

95 posts, read 141,213 times
Don't like outsourcing?

Make everything yourself.

Don't support Walmart in any way.

Stop buying based on price, and start buying on quality.

Hold business & politicians accountable. I realise that this is easier said than done.

I could blab on forever, but I won't.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
There are jobs now paying less than I made 20 years ago. It is because people have to work for less so they will have a job. I remember in the 90's I worked construction and made 15-20 dollars an hour. Now I see adds for construction workers only paying 8-9 dollars per hour. With them outsourcing it has become an employers market. They can pay whatever they want and people will have to bite the bullet. Product pricing has not gone down, but pay has. Therefore you are getting a lot less for your money.

I agree outsourcing needs to stop.
Wow .. do you not have a skill or trade? ..

I made 15-20 dollars an hour in the 80's .. and make much more than that now ..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 AM

406 posts, read 1,431,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Wow .. do you not have a skill or trade? ..

I made 15-20 dollars an hour in the 80's .. and make much more than that now ..
Some are not as fortunate as others or maby made some wrong decisions or maby even not enough right ones. Who are we to criticize or judge others?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:01 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Outsourcing is real and it must be stopped, hundreds of thousands of American jobs are being sent overseas every year in order to better the lives of people in other countries. Many Americans are suffering because they are getting laid off due to the declining economy, then being forced to accept a pay cuts apon finding another job. Should we not worry about the American people first and foremost before worrying about others over seas? What are your feelings on this?
Well we shall see if a TEA Party or Democrat Congressperson introduces a bill to plug loopholes and stop IRS deductions for companies that send American jobs overseas. Any Democrat Congressperson would vote for that! Will the GOP

Old 11-04-2010, 03:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Well we shall see if a TEA Party or Democrat Congressperson introduces a bill to plug loopholes and stop IRS deductions for companies that send American jobs overseas. Any Democrat Congressperson would vote for that! Will the GOP

I am, as long as it is not attach to a host of bad policy.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Companies will always follow the money for the lowest labor costs.
Americans are SOL when it comes to jobs that can be offshored.

Time to retrain..find a job that requires physical presence that cannot be offshored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies