Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 12:04 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Many times I have commented and started threads on the topic. Many here feel the same and yet there are many that appreciate that products and items are manufacured in China so that they can buy the cheap $hit at Walmart. In fact, I'd bet that the groups screaming the loudest about taking the country back and true patiotism such as the Tea Party folks, are the very same ones that are undermining this country and its working class by shopping in effing Walmart. Why aren't these idiots congregating at The Lincoln Memorial and speaking up about this instead of the "honor" of Glenn Beck and his miraculous flying geese?
Because very few of these people can think for themselves in an analytical, creative or strategic manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 12:06 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I don't think all out-sourcing is done for the sake of "making business ends meet". For example, take Maidenform. A few years ago they relocated to either Mexico or some other Central American country. However ~ their hugely increased profits didn't reflect on the costs of their underwear. Their damn bras are still expensive. Sounds like greed to me.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Do you actually believe that corporations are outsourcing to help people of other nations afford plumbing?
A corporation's function and purpose is to make money, not to employ you. Your employment with a corporation is merely incidental to the fact that the corporation's primary goal is to make money for its shareholders.

A corporation has no more responsibility to provide you with a job than a government does. Your purpose and function in life is to provide you with a job.

In the past, people who couldn't cut it got "Darwined."

I would remind everyone that corporations have a moral, ethical and legal obligation to make profits for the shareholders.

If you guys don't like, then change the laws.

Quote:
Do you not realize that if it is not a fair trade as opposed to free trade their are still terrible work ethics and abuse of labor overseas?
Yeah? So what? Who cares?

Perhaps you should educate yourself in the history of industrialization you aren't as ignorant.

Quote:
The bottom line and increasing profits is the only reason jobs are outsourced from the standpoint of the company.
I think we covered that already. You might want to educate yourself by studying SEC regulations.

Quote:
We are not the watchdog of the world nor should we be when there are people out of work here through no fault of their own. Not people that are wining and dining on caviar and champagne, but average people just trying to keep a roof over their family's head and keep them fed.
Well, see, that's what happens when you make bad choices. You ultimately have to answer for them, and that's what people are doing now.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:22 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Because very few of these people can think for themselves in an analytical, creative or strategic manner.
You're right. The dumbing down has accelerated past the point of no return.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A corporation's function and purpose is to make money, not to employ you. Your employment with a corporation is merely incidental to the fact that the corporation's primary goal is to make money for its shareholders.

A corporation has no more responsibility to provide you with a job than a government does. Your purpose and function in life is to provide you with a job.

In the past, people who couldn't cut it got "Darwined."

I would remind everyone that corporations have a moral, ethical and legal obligation to make profits for the shareholders.

If you guys don't like, then change the laws.

Yeah? So what? Who cares?

Perhaps you should educate yourself in the history of industrialization you aren't as ignorant.

I think we covered that already. You might want to educate yourself by studying SEC regulations.

Well, see, that's what happens when you make bad choices. You ultimately have to answer for them, and that's what people are doing now.

You cannot have a thriving middle class without a string manufacturing sector...period!

Yeah? So what? Who cares? you say...then I have no choice but to assume that you have no respect for true democracy. Maybe you are the one in need of an education.

Hartmann is a knowledgeable and astute observer and critic of US history and more recent policies gone awry under 25 years of this kind of government, beginning with the Reagan presidency. It’s been corrupted by the notion that what serves the interests of business elites in corporate boardrooms benefit ordinary people as well. It never has, never will, and, despite the slick rhetoric, isn’t intended to. If it did, it would prevent the new US corporate aristocracy from getting richer and more powerful which it only can do at the expense of the public and especially the middle class it wants to destroy.

...the battle people face today in the country isn’t between liberals and conservatives or Democrats and Republicans. It’s between those who want to protect our democratic heritage and those “cons” who want to create an elitist privileged society based on corporate power and inherited wealth.

Thom Hartmann’s New Book Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class

Yes, I do agree that the laws have to be changed, but now we have given corporations "people" status. I do not see a good outcome for the average working person in this country.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Who is going to have the Brass Balls to go against special interest and reinstate Trade Tariffs?
I'm not talking a little Tax on imports, either. Make it so imports cost more than we can produce it here. How many jobs for Americans, would that create?

Make it so no foreign non-citizen can own property in the US., including a business. That is a privilege reserved for citizens of the USA to prosper from, not a non-citizen to exploit. How many businesses for Americans would that create for US citizens?

Finally Employer taxing on any non-citizen employed and paid by the company doing business.
Any non-citizen on the payroll, or foreign company paid for services, that employer is taxed exactly what is "gross" paid out to the foreign worker. How many jobs would that create?

Look, to get this nation back on its feet, in a self supporting capacity, we as a nation need to get really selfish about our nations workers. These are all things that our Federal government were suppose to be curtaining to keep us a strong nation. Their role is not in domestic affairs. That is for individual States to deal with, as long as it is within the US Constitution.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Outsourcing is real and it must be stopped, hundreds of thousands of American jobs are being sent overseas every year in order to better the lives of people in other countries. Many Americans are suffering because they are getting laid off due to the declining economy, then being forced to accept a pay cuts apon finding another job. Should we not worry about the American people first and foremost before worrying about others over seas? What are your feelings on this?

You are confusing "Outsourcing" with "Off shoring". Your complaint is probably about off shoring, not outsourcing.

And both save consumers money and make it easier to buy necessary products.

If you don't like buying products made in China, then start your own company using US labor and compete with them.

Oh, you say you don't have the money to start a company? So we really do need rich people, don't we. People with the capital to start a company.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:41 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Americans like cheap goods. American workers have been overpriced for decades, so other people could make cheaper goods.

1. Cheaper goods made overseas

2. The money you have is worth more then, because you can buy more stuff.

3. You don't need to make as much to live at the same level as your parents did.

Outsourcing isn't always a bad thing. I don't like all of it, but it does make the way of life we've enjoyed for the last 20 years possible. Most people, even though they complain a lot, are happy with the way they live.

Good post.

Many who complain about outsourcing and jobs lost overseas do not support America and buy American products- they buy the cheapest ones they can find, thus hampering US industry. Cheaper goods, as noted above, allows one to live a higher standard of living on the same salary.

However, I ALWAYS buy American whenever there is a choice. Unfortunately, there are many products that are no longer made in America.

Solution?

Give 100% corporate tax breaks to every company that has 70% or greater of thier employees in the US. "Punishing" companies does nothing and only makes matters worse. By providing a positive incentive, we would have more "BMW of North America" and "Toyota of North America" corporations, who would recognize the tremendous benefit of no taxes. Only 7% of federal revenues come from corporate taxes anyway, so there is certainly alot of room to work with.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't think all out-sourcing is done for the sake of "making business ends meet". For example, take Maidenform. A few years ago they relocated to either Mexico or some other Central American country. However ~ their hugely increased profits didn't reflect on the costs of their underwear. Their damn bras are still expensive. Sounds like greed to me.
Because they are KEEPING the difference. Notice how the quarterly earnings reports are "astronomical" and the pay & bonuses of the ones in charge get higher and higher each year ??

That is their incentive..the less they spend in cost the more they get in profit and the more they get to put in their pockets.
US consumers don't get much benefit and US labor here doesn't either as their salaries have not increased 600% like their CEO's have.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
You cannot have a thriving middle class without a string manufacturing sector...period!

Yeah? So what? Who cares? you say...then I have no choice but to assume that you have no respect for true democracy. Maybe you are the one in need of an education.

Hartmann is a knowledgeable and astute observer and critic of US history and more recent policies gone awry under 25 years of this kind of government, beginning with the Reagan presidency. It’s been corrupted by the notion that what serves the interests of business elites in corporate boardrooms benefit ordinary people as well. It never has, never will, and, despite the slick rhetoric, isn’t intended to. If it did, it would prevent the new US corporate aristocracy from getting richer and more powerful which it only can do at the expense of the public and especially the middle class it wants to destroy.

...the battle people face today in the country isn’t between liberals and conservatives or Democrats and Republicans. It’s between those who want to protect our democratic heritage and those “cons” who want to create an elitist privileged society based on corporate power and inherited wealth.

Thom Hartmann’s New Book Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class

Yes, I do agree that the laws have to be changed, but now we have given corporations "people" status. I do not see a good outcome for the average working person in this country.
On this issue we are in 100% agreement and I, too, do not see a good outcome ahead for the average working person and, therefore, our nation as a whole.

As if it weren't difficult enough to deal with the still sizable number of sociopaths (like you are responding to), completely incapable of seeing anything beyond the size of their "portfolio" 5 minutes from now, the corporate elite now owns our government. Fat chance of changes to the law that would end their pillaging.

If there is any comfort to be taken in our downhill ride, it is that those at the root cause - those with their noses pointed toward the sky as they look down with disdain upon the rest of us - are going to go down much harder and faster than we did as the ship slides beneath the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies