Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you join a party with those beliefs?
Yes 7 31.82%
No 15 68.18%
Don't Know 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times

Advertisements

I think I am going to call it the "Realist" or "American" party.

Beliefs-
*Government efficiency is key to well run essential services, like schools and police departments, without passing excessive debt on to the American. No excessive spending.
*Abortion should be generally banned, but allowed in the exception of teen pregnancy or certain issues.
*Illegal immigration of any form should be stopped,and all illegals should be sent home, but a well thought out migrant worker program will allow us continue to benefit from the cheaper labor, without leaving the problems here.
*No more partisan division of the United States, uniting as Americans
*Owning a gun is up to you, but a well thought out crime fighting program will get the guns out of the hands of those who acquired them illegally. Money to fund the program will be achieved by...
*Legalization of Cannabis, reducing a layer of violent crime and putting less stress on the criminal justice system. Legal or not legal, peoples morals do not change. That, plus it would actually make it more difficult for teens to purchase pot. Do you think drug dealers card under 18?Employers could continue to drug test and reject employees that smoke pot. Fines would be charged to those who smoke pot in public, though, including in public parks.
*Envrionmental standards will be increased, all cars in the U.S will achieve at least 25 MPG on the highway. All cars will require partial-zero emissions.
*Gay marrige, I say do whatever you want, legalized.
*Legalization of tazer guns. If you really want to keep your self safe from crime, all you need is a tazer. Stop the criminal, don't kill the criminal. Maybe he will learn his lesson and turn for the better.
*A criminal justice system that promotes character building, rather then todays revolving door. Control crime at it's source.

Basically, a belief in a tolerant and (somewhat) liberal society, with some conservative social aspects and conservative fiscal aspects.

I will continue to edit/update if I come up with any more thoughts.

Would you join this party?

Please add to the debate

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-27-2007 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:43 PM

308 posts, read 711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I think I am going to call it the "Realist" or "American" party.

Beliefs-
*Government efficiency is key to well run essential services, like schools and police departments, without passing excessive debt on to the American. No excessive spending.
*Abortion should be generally banned, but allowed in the exception of teen pregnancy or certain issues.
*Illegal immigration of any form should be stopped,and all illegals should be sent home, but a well thought out migrant worker program will allow us continue to benefit from the cheaper labor, without leaving the problems here.
*No more partisan division of the United States, uniting as Americans
*Owning a gun is up to you, but a well thought out crime fighting program will get the guns out of the hands of those who acquired them illegally. Money to fund the program will be achieved by...
*Legalization of Cannabis, reducing a layer of violent crime and putting less stress on the criminal justice system. Legal or not legal, peoples morals do not change. That, plus it would actually make it more difficult for teens to purchase pot. Do you think drug dealers card under 18?Employers could continue to drug test and reject employees that smoke pot. Fines would be charged to those who smoke pot in public, though, including in public parks.
*Envrionmental standards will be increased, all cars in the U.S will achieve at least 25 MPG on the highway. All cars will require partial-zero emissions.
*Gay marrige, I say do whatever you want, legalized.
*Legalization of tazer guns. If you really want to keep your self safe from crime, all you need is a tazer. Stop the criminal, don't kill the criminal. Maybe he will learn his lesson and turn for the better.

Basically, a belief in a tolerant and (somewhat) liberal society, with some conservative social aspects and conservative fiscal aspects.

I will continue to edit/update if I come up with any more thoughts.

Would you join this party?

Yes I would, but I would add.

*Abolish all Property Tax, Death Tax, and Service Taxes.

*Secure the Border now before immigration reform.

*Legalize a flat tax of 15%. (The more money you make the more you pay in taxes. The less money you make the less you pay in taxes.)

*Conduct an Audit of the entire Government and reduce programs where overlaps occur to lower spending.

*Endorse a strong Military.

I like the "American Patriots Party".

Old 06-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Libertarian View Post
Yes I would, but I would add.

*Abolish all Property Tax, Death Tax, and Service Taxes.

*Secure the Border now before immigration reform.

*Legalize a flat tax of 15%. (The more money you make the more you pay in taxes. The less money you make the less you pay in taxes.)

*Conduct an Audit of the entire Government and reduce programs where overlaps occur to lower spending.

*Endorse a strong Military.

I like the "American Patriots Party".
Excellent addition. Future voters, would you join this party with those beliefs as well?

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-27-2007 at 06:57 PM..

Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Ya know, most of that actually sounds pretty darned good! Only things I'm unsure about are the immigration policies, and maaaaybe the abortion one. Other than that, it sounds better than our current options... which is why I proudly call myself an "independent liberal" - though I register Democrat, just to gain access to the primary elections.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:34 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
No, because I do not support any government mandates on emissions, nor to I support a general national ban on abortions. Nor do I agree with stopping immigration into the country.

I feel that anyone has the right to live whereever he/she likes, without regard to race or national origin. I know many will disagree with me because many immigrants come in and take advantage of our welfare and education systems. The solution to this would be to implement a national sales tax, i.e. The Fair Tax, instead of the current regressive tax system that punishes achievement, rewards bad decisions, allows the underground economy to avoid contributing to the tax base, and encourages investments and the storage of capital oversees, as does the flat tax.

Last edited by Amaznjohn; 06-27-2007 at 07:54 PM..

Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Ditto Gizmo. In this case I will refer to myself as a "ditto head!"

Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
No, because I do not support any government mandates on emissions, nor to I support a general national ban on abortions. Nor do I agree with stopping immigration into the country.

I feel that anyone has the right to live whereever he/she likes, without regard to race or national origin. I know many will disagree with me because many immigrants come in and take advantage of our welfare and education systems. The solution to this would be to implement a national sales tax, i.e. The Fair Tax, instead of the current regressive tax system that punishes achievement, rewards bad decisions, allows the underground economy to avoid contributing to the tax base, and encourages investments and the storage of capital oversees.
Who said I wanted to stop all immigration? I am a strong supporter of legal immigration,and the enforcing of our current immigration laws, as immigration keeps the economy moving along, especially when you have an aging population in a post industrial nation like the United States.Immigrants can also come well educated, bringing skilled employment to the United States. An example would be all of the South American business people who came to my community to contrbute highly to our society. I do believe that people coming here should be tested for basic English before coming, though.

The sales tax idea is interesting, though.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Who said I wanted to stop all immigration? I am a strong supporter of legal immigration,and the enforcing of our current immigration laws, as immigration keeps the economy moving along, especially when you have an aging population in a post industrial nation like the United States.Immigrants can also come well educated, bringing skilled employment to the United States. An example would be all of the South American business people who came to my community to contrbute highly to our society. I do believe that people coming here should be tested for basic English before coming, though.

The sales tax idea is interesting, though.
I would remove all immigration laws, allowing anyone to enter, basically an open society because, as I stated earlier, everyone should be allowed to live whereever they like.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I would remove all immigration laws, allowing anyone to enter, basically an open society because, as I stated earlier, everyone should be allowed to live whereever they like.
Just for curiosity, how would you push (general) assimilation? I happen to be a firm believer in a multicultural society, but a certain level of assimilation must be achieved for it to work. Also, how would you insure homeland security in an open envrionment like that?

Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Just for curiosity, how would you push (general) assimilation? I happen to be a firm believer in a multicultural society, but a certain level of assimilation must be achieved for it to work. Also, how would you insure homeland security in an open envrionment like that?
Homeland security would be an issue. I haven't had the opportunity to come up with a permanent solution, however I would suspect that the resources currently dedicated to immigration could be used to increase the activities of Homeland Security. As a Libertarian I feel that many issues can be resolved when individuals are provided the opportunity and resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies