Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, point well taken, but the topic is Maes and how the TP didn't vet him. I forsee a lot of this happening until they wise up.
You can see the speck in your brother's eye. But you don't notice the log in your own eye.

Maes is the example - vetting is the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
You can see the speck in your brother's eye. But you don't notice the log in your own eye.

Maes is the example - vetting is the topic.
I hate to pull rank here, but I started the thread. I don't live in SC; I live in CO. I chose the topic of the TP not vetting candidates.

ETA: Was Greene the Dem. party's candidate? Did the TP back him?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independentsucka View Post
first of all, I don't live in that state, so it's not my business. second of all, he's a liar? he's a freaking politician. show me a politician that's not a liar. so if he's gonna drop out, who cares?
Don't be silly. Here is why they care:

It makes good copy here to taint the whole of the Tea Party and in Colorado papers.

But as for the lies? A judge has stated that is protected by the First Amendment.

Glad he's gonna be gone.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:05 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Default Colorado GOP Gubenatorial Candidate Faces Ethics Issues

DENVER - Former U.S. Sen. Hank Brown is withdrawing his support for Colorado Republican gubernatorial candidate Dan Maes.

The Denver Post reports that Brown rescinded his endorsement on Wednesday because of concerns about Maes’ credibility. Brown said he’s looking for a new candidate to support.

It's reported that Dan Mae the GOP nominee for Governor of Colorado is facing some heat within the Republican Party after allegations he falsified his experience as an undercover police officer for the Kansas Bureau of Investigation while working as police officer in Liberal, Kansas.

More GOP Leaders Pull Support For Maes - cbs4denver.com (http://cbs4denver.com/campaign2010/maes.governors.race.2.1893758.html - broken link)

OUR VIEW: Gazette calls on Mays to drop out (vote in poll) | gazette, race, drop - Opinion - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

The Associated Press: Latest distraction for CO candidate: Kansas resume

New Scandal Hits GOP Gubernatorial Candidate - The Note

Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Goes to show knee jerk reactions can yield to equally unsavory results. How long will it take for the TP to realize they may be creating something far worse?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
This is one of the problems with being blinded by party loyalty, you make some really bad choices.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:17 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is a good example of what can happen when the Tea Party's philosophy of "throw the bums out", "get some new blook in politics" gets in the way of them properly vetting their candidates.

Dan Maes is the Tea Party candidate for governor of Colorado:

Dan Maes for Colorado Governor in 2010 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JsCxO2-MTNIJ:www.danmaes.com/+dan+maes+tea+party&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)

Now, it turns out the guy is a little shady:

GOP gubernatorial candidate Maes backs off claims of undercover police work - The Denver Post

Hank Brown withdraws endorsement of GOP gubernatoral candidate Dan Maes | The Spot

Hank Brown withdraws endorsement of GOP gubernatoral candidate Dan Maes | The Spot

It was already known that Maes is nuts; he called the Denver bicycle rental program part of a new world order to take over the US government. Now, it turns out, he's a liar as well.
Dunno what he meant about the new world order and the context it was in. However I will say the bicycle thing is a crock. The ineffective government is stealing my money to provide for others causes. By doing so they also hurt the small private businesses who sell, rent, and repair bikes.

good article to read about the issue imo
Bike agenda spins cities toward U.N. control, Maes warns - The Denver Post

Lying on a resume is done too often. People should be held accountable.

"We've checked our records. We've talked to people working in that area (southwest Kansas) at the time," said Bob Blecha, director of the law enforcement agency. "He (Maes) refers to a gambling case and possible drugs. They (agents) don't recall him working with them on any case like that."
Blecha said some of the agents, most of whom are now retired, do remember Maes as a police officer. It's possible Maes at some point cooperated with agents on small matters as other officers might, Blecha said.
But he stressed, "He (Maes) did not work for us or with us on an investigation."
In the statement posted to his website, Maes elaborated on his work as a police officer:
"Much like Cory Voorheez (sic), I was a young officer caught in a situation that was much bigger than myself with no where to go. I am proud to say that I never participated in any illegal activity while undercover. Although this chapter of my life was yet another one where I fought the machine, I will not discuss the details any further as many who were involved in this situation are still alive and in new places in their lives and I want to protect them."

Sounds to me like he embellished his role. I don't think it is as bad as you try to make it sound although I still don't like what he did.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies