Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

The denial and refusal for people to take responsibility for the havoc that humans wreak on the planet's ecosystems and its wildlife is where the problem lies. We most likely would not be debating on a thread such as this if humans acknowledged this fact. Until I began debating on CD, I never really knew how bad the problem was and just how many ignorant people inhabit this planet. The self importance and feelings if entitlement that man has is amazing. The fact is, we are parasites living off the resources of this planet that is hosting us, just as it is hosting every other life form. The Earth can get along just fine and in fact, better without us. If any of the religious people posting here argue that we are superior as deemed by the "creator", then tell me why you have such blatant disregard for his other creations?

Talk of heaven! ye disgrace earth.
Thoreau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Spoken like someone who acknowledges man is but temporarily at the top of the food chain. We may as well enjoy it while it lasts.
Well I'd just like to know what time period they're most interested in going back to. Maybe the Carboniferous period where:

Quote:
Atmospheric oxygen levels peaked around 35 percent, compared with 21 percent today.
and...

Quote:
Deadly poisonous centipedes some six feet (two meters) in length crawled in the company of mammoth cockroaches and scorpions as much as three feet (one meter) long. Most impressive of all were dragonflies that grew to the size of seagulls. One exquisitely detailed fossil of a dragonfly that died 320 million years ago shows it had a wingspan of 2.5 feet (0.75 meters).
Carboniferous Period Article, Carboniferous Information, Prehistoric Facts -- National Geographic

And then when you actually go through past time periods I can't see how you can come to the conclusion that this is not the best time period of all. These are the good times historically speaking of course...

Old 09-05-2010, 10:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The denial and refusal for people to take responsibility for the havoc that humans wreak on the planet's ecosystems and its wildlife is where the problem lies. We most likely would not be debating on a thread such as this if humans acknowledged this fact. Until I began debating on CD, I never really knew how bad the problem was and just how many ignorant people inhabit this planet. The self importance and feelings if entitlement that man has is amazing. The fact is, we are parasites living off the resources of this planet that is hosting us, just as it is hosting every other life form. The Earth can get along just fine and in fact, better without us. If any of the religious people posting here argue that we are superior as deemed by the "creator", then tell me why you have such blatant disregard for his other creations?

Talk of heaven! ye disgrace earth.
Thoreau
Looks who's preaching for responsibility and against self-importance and self-entitlement! That is rich! HAHAHAHAHA

What other species on the face of the earth is able to measure and attempt to minimize its impact? Perhaps you are as you claim a parasite; however, many of us are conservationists and do not have a blatant disregard for God's creations.

Go project into a mirror, please.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Looks who's preaching for responsibility and against self-importance and self-entitlement! That is rich! HAHAHAHAHA

What other species on the face of the earth is able to measure and attempt to minimize its impact? Perhaps you are as you claim a parasite; however, many of us are conservationists and do not have a blatant disregard for God's creations.

Go project into a mirror, please.
What are you talking about? You are on the defensive about what exactly? All your post proves is that you do not know the meaning of the word "parasite".

Where did I state that there were not humans that are "conservationists'?
I included a quote from Thoreau, a forefather of "The Naturalist Movement".

Attempt to minimize its impact, you say? Minimal is the amount of people willing to own up to human caused destruction. Good on you if you live upon the Earth gently, but don't you realize that you are in the minority? Why are you so defensive?

BTW...anyone that considers themselves a "conservationist" must also admit that they are up against the most powerful industry in the world which relentlessly attmepts to thwart any awakening concerning ecological responsibility.

Oh yeah, I'm ignoring your opening line as I have no idea what the hell you are referring to, nor probably do you.

Bad case of the humans

YouTube - Bad case of the humans

Last edited by sickofnyc; 09-05-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Well i might like to see all man made torn down, and many of you living in the wilds with nothing, you can't make with yer owns hands, but somehow i don't see that idea working very well. But don't let me stop anyone.

If anyone does try, let me know so I can take a few pictures.

Chances are a lot more than 50% of you have not the slightest idea how to survive in the first place.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well i might like to see all man made torn down, and many of you living in the wilds with nothing, you can't make with yer owns hands, but somehow i don't see that idea working very well. But don't let me stop anyone.

Chances are a lot more than 50% of you have not the slightest idea how to survive in the first place.
Life After People — History.com TV Episodes, Schedule, & Video

Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
In a period of more than a half-billion years, only three such extinction events appear to have been as devastating as the present one, which is being caused by humans.

"We're 100 percent responsible for it."

Why worry? They will evolve back into existence at some point.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:01 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

50%? More like 90%.

I don't understand why anyone would wish for the good old days of 200 years ago. Life was quite harsh compared to today.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

YouTube - Alone in the Wilderness

Old 09-05-2010, 12:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I live rural, and have been around here long enough to recall roads no longer here at all. Nature takes back what man made and later discards.

I well know what happens to un-used buildings. I even have a vintage oil lamp that still works, I found in what used to be a stone cabin.

When I found the lamp all I could see was a lamp burner on the ground. It turned out be all except a mantell and chimney a Lincoln Drape Alladin lamp circa 1935.

I had to litterally dig it out of moss covered soil, and as i did I came to understand once a table had been under it, and what I took at first wrongly as stone ledge, inside a stone walled cabin.

It took many years for the forest to eat up that cabin and work on that table, leaving only brass and glass behind.

The 50% was just to be a little gentle.

The video I didn't see yet, since i am on 56k still, but I am not sure in the 'new world order' if a cabin made with steel tools is a fair thing to do or not. Would you suppose a cabin made that way is 100% natural after a non sence law to reduce man to naught passed?

Man certainly can live with out steel tools, as well as all plastics right?

I can, but i don't, not till everyone else must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies