Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

I will if Michelle Bachman becomes Speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:19 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,665 times
I know of two people that tried and both failed although at the start of the cold war many people attempted renunciation of US Citizen Ship. The first was the famous John Nash who went to Luxembourg and tried to use section 148 of the 1941 immigration act that allows for a renunciation. The clause was put in place to allow people of duel citizen ship to resolve immigration issues. There is also procedure and an oath that must be taken and can only be administered by an American Ambassador in a foreign country. The problem that Nash and others had was since he only had single country citizenship he would be a man with out a country forfeit attached his passport and visa.
Please read A Beautiful Mind my copy shows the instance on page 273 and 274. Also the book references Gary Davis but I don't know enough of his biography to add his position and purpose
The other is of course Lee Harvey Oswald who renounced when he went to Russia. As you can figure out the renunciation was not applied in the US. He went to Texas with no problems.
Both men at the time had mental issues. Nash was suffering from Schizophrenia and Oswald was an Anarchist.
Simply put if you do not have duel citizenship you are in Nash’s position and no country will accept an undocumented traveler. You would have to first swear allegiance to the foreign land, most other country’s have much stricter rules for immigration and naturalization then the U.S. You don’t get to walk in and say I want to be a French Citizen you have to have a documented purpose.
If you go Oswald’s rout and renounce in a hostile country the act is simply not recognized by the US.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
I know of two people that tried and both failed although at the start of the cold war many people attempted renunciation of US Citizen Ship. The first was the famous John Nash who went to Luxembourg and tried to use section 148 of the 1941 immigration act that allows for a renunciation. The clause was put in place to allow people of duel citizen ship to resolve immigration issues. There is also procedure and an oath that must be taken and can only be administered by an American Ambassador in a foreign country. The problem that Nash and others had was since he only had single country citizenship he would be a man with out a country forfeit attached his passport and visa.
Please read A Beautiful Mind my copy shows the instance on page 273 and 274. Also the book references Gary Davis but I don't know enough of his biography to add his position and purpose
The other is of course Lee Harvey Oswald who renounced when he went to Russia. As you can figure out the renunciation was not applied in the US. He went to Texas with no problems.
Both men at the time had mental issues. Nash was suffering from Schizophrenia and Oswald was an Anarchist.
Simply put if you do not have duel citizenship you are in Nash’s position and no country will accept an undocumented traveler. You would have to first swear allegiance to the foreign land, most other country’s have much stricter rules for immigration and naturalization then the U.S. You don’t get to walk in and say I want to be a French Citizen you have to have a documented purpose.
If you go Oswald’s rout and renounce in a hostile country the act is simply not recognized by the US.
Nash is a neighbor of mine. LOL

Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
I know of some on here who said they would leave the country if Obama won in 2008. They didn't.
Wonder how many will say that when Obama wins his 2nd term?

Old 09-17-2010, 07:39 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
Not in a million years, I'm a fighter. I wouldn't mind living in a couple of select countries for a bit though.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
"Have you ever thought of renouncing your US citizenship?"

No, but that hasn't stop me from thinking about living somewhere else, and most of the time that has nothing to do with politics.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:04 AM

250 posts, read 379,619 times
Yes, I've thought about renouncing my citizenship and actually think about it daily. I won't, however, until I find something I like better than what I have here. As I don't travel much I don't think I'll be finding anything better anytime soon. Regardless, I'll be happy no matter where I am.

I've often wondered how anyone can call America the greatest nation if they haven't experienced anything else.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:33 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
It's actually becoming more common. The US is one of the only countries (maybe THE only country, I'm not sure) that requires its abroad citizens to continue paying taxes. So I think the number jumped from negligible to like 300 per year with the economic crisis. It makes sense. If you're living abroad and don't think you'll ever come back, why continue paying taxes?

I doubt I will ever live in another country but if I did, had no children, and thought I would never go back, it would be the logical thing to do.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I have a friend from Norway. I'd love to visit Scandinavia sometime.

Went to college with a friend from Sweden. Went to Europe after college with a group of friends and stayed with her family a few days, forget the town now. I prefer the nordic countries to the rest of Europe, really clean, orderly little towns/cities, well structured, nice people.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
I know of two people that tried and both failed although at the start of the cold war many people attempted renunciation of US Citizen Ship.
What was the citizenship status of the leaders of the Confederacy, at least before Andrew Johnson pardoned them? I would think they would've renounced their citizenship in 1861.

I don't think Judah P. Benjamin ever attempted to get his US citizenship back, although he had dual US/UK citizenship.

Don't think the Confederates who moved to Brazil had any desire to get their US citizenship back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies