Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

This is the country of my birth. I'm stuck with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
This is the country of my birth. I'm stuck with it.
That's kind of where I'm at. If I were to carefully evaluate all countries on earth and choose one, this wouldn't be it. But it's by no means even close to the worst. I'd say in the top 10 for me.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
No. Renouncing my citizenship would be to deny a big part of who I am. I am American. I love the U.S. I could never renounce my American-ness.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
What you fail to realize is moving to another country does not exempt you from paying U.S. taxes. You can move to any other country in the world but you'll be paying US taxes as well as taxes in the new country you decide to relocate to.

The USA is the only country that makes its citizens do that. The only way to NOT PAY U.S. taxes is to opt out of the tax system. The only way to do that is by renouncing your U.S. citizenship.

Keep that in mind as you ponder the thought of "getting away" from the USA.

Not quite right.

You can claim an exemption from U.S. Income tax of $91,400 for 2009 (and lesser amounts for earlier years) in earnings from employment or self employment while residing outside of the U.S. for a full calendar year, or for any fiscal 12 month period providing you are not in the U.S. for more than 35 days during that fiscal year.

Because the US taxes its citizens on the basis of their nationality and not on the basis of their residence, the concept of 'offshore' is not very useful to a US national from a residence point of view. There is an income tax concession available during non-residence, but beyond that the only real option for a US citizen is to change nationality. In all other respects the international tax situation of an individual citizen is about the same whether they are in or out of the US.

US expatriates who meet the Physical Presence Test or meet the Bona Fide Resident Test may be able to take advantage of the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and or the Foreign Housing Exclusion.

You are considered physically present in a foreign country (or countries) if you reside in that country (or countries) for at least 330 full days in a 12-month period. You can live and work in any number of foreign countries, but you must be physically present in those countries for at least 330 full days. The qualifying period can be any consecutive 12-month period of time. A "full day" is 24 hours; days of arrival and departure are generally not counted in the physical presence test.

A person is considered a "bona fide resident" of a foreign country if they reside in that country for "an uninterrupted period that includes an entire tax year." A tax year is January 1 through December 31. Brief trips or vacations outside the foreign country will not jeopardize status as a bona fide resident. If the foreign government concerned has determined that a person is not subject to their tax laws as a resident, the Exclusions will not be available.

These benefits seemed under threat in 2004, but they were confirmed in the Tax Reconciliation Act of 2005 (passed in 2006) albeit with restricted terms.

US citizens and resident aliens who are outside the United States (and its possessions) have the same requirements to file tax returns as anyone living in the United States. Income from worldwide sources must be considered when determining if a federal tax return must be filed. In general, foreign earned income is income received for services performed in a foreign country.

If you pay foreign taxes, it may be possible to offset these against US taxes if there is a double tax treaty with the country in which you are resident.

The concept of 'tax home' is used in connection with foreign residence. Generally, a person's tax home is the general area of her main place of business, employment, or post of duty where she is permanently or indefinitely engaged to work. A person is not considered to have a tax home in a foreign country for any period during which their abode (the place where they regularly live) is in the United States.

United States Expatriate Tax Site: Tax Position of US Citizens Overseas

Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 AM

948 posts, read 1,386,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What was the citizenship status of the leaders of the Confederacy, at least before Andrew Johnson pardoned them? I would think they would've renounced their citizenship in 1861.

I don't think Judah P. Benjamin ever attempted to get his US citizenship back, although he had dual US/UK citizenship.

Don't think the Confederates who moved to Brazil had any desire to get their US citizenship back.
That was a tremendous question and it took a lot of work to formulate a proper answer. At least as proper as I can do. I really enjoyed it and learned a tremendous amount

United States constitutional law pre Civil War is shadowy on the subject of citizenship The records on the issue are so vague because of peoples country’s of origins. In the 1860’s the Union applied the English Doctrine of Perpetual and Unchangeable Allegiance to the government of one’s birth. This doctrine prevented a person from renouncing his allegiance to his country of origin without permission of that government.

Military tribunals such as the Hunter Commission provided for civilian trials, not military trials, in the case of suspected disloyalists. However Confederate spies were to be tried by US Military Commission. The Union Military Commissions tried , convicted and hanged the Southern saboteur, Captain Robert Cobb Kennedy for starting the New York fires. At the time if you were tried as a spy or solder in by the Union Military that in affect says that you are not a US citizen.

Then after the war the Union Congress debated whether Confederate solders could become U.S citizens. I am assuming that the debate was whether the English Doctrine was applicable law because they also debated the citizenship status of people in the southern states before the war. Some of the debate I am sure was motivated by a reluctance to readmit confederate citizens to the branches of the Union Government. In the end they decided, that “Rebels who swore allegiance could become U.S. citizens and receive pardon‘.
This would indicate that they were not considered US citizens during the war and it was up to speculation if they were prior to the war.
Of course the 14th Amendment and the Expatriation Act was not written until 1868, four years after the war.

Information ascertained from
US Supreme Court Cases from Justia & Oyez
SURVEY OF THE LAW OF EXPATRIATION
Ch. 5 of 7 - C. Godfrey Gunther: NYC Jails Governor & Civil War Mayor
American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Civil War Resources on The Web
Civil War Spies, Spies in Civil War, Allan Pinkerton

Last edited by Dewmik; 09-19-2010 at 12:46 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No. But, I wish some of those who post here and state how much they hate this nation would consider so doing.

I don't remember seeing ANYONE posting on here who says that they "hate" this nation???

Old 03-09-2011, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 784 times
I hope all you people understand that renouncing US citizenship means renouncing the District of Columbia not any of the 50 States. Renouncing US citizenship is not expatriatiing or anything similar, it is waking up and realizing that you no longer consent to being a slave. In fact a true Patriot cannot be as anyones citizen. I am in that process myself and I love this country.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Criticizing the government and its policies doesn't mean criticizing America as a whole (this goes for when W was President).

I love this country, it's the best country in the world and I'm sticking with it.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No. But, I wish some of those who post here and state how much they hate this nation would consider so doing.
Who has done that?
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies