Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is just the thing. Tea party people only follow the parts of the constitution they like. When was the last time you heard a tea party person standing up for the 16th amendment?
Tea party members are NOT saying we shouldnt have taxes. We are saying that we shouldnt be taxed to death.

There is a difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Tea party members are NOT saying we shouldnt have taxes. We are saying that we shouldnt be taxed to death.

There is a difference
I have heard of several tea party folks claim the 16th amendment is not legitimate. Not to mention other tea party folks claiming that if elections don't work people might turn to "second amendment remedies." The constitution has a large section and several amendments as to how elections should be conducted an none of them has anything to do with getting your guns if you don't like who wins.

Also there are the vast number of Tea party folks I have heard that want to use unconstitutional methods to stop the NY Islamic community center.

Oh and of course there have been a great deal of tea party people I have heard suggesting that there should be one or another type of bill of attainder against Obama.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
WE put our representatives in, if you don't like Pelosi, then run for office and let us vote on you or Pelosi!

We vote on our representatives, NOT our rulers. When the representatives IGNORE the will of the people, TEA Parties are born.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I know you all get your same talking points from MoveOn, I mean, you all even use the same exact verbiage, you could be a little more subtle, but anyway:

What is so extreme about

Following the constitution
Smaller debt
Less taxes
Less gov in our life

I'd like specifics, not "O'Donnell believes that masturbation is wrong", many people of all political persuasions do and it's not something that can be legislated anyway, so lets rule that one out. I want to know specifically what is "extreme" about our beliefs?
If you really wanted an answer, you probably should have been a little more tactful in your opening. But your post is why I dislike certain aspects of the tea party; the tendency to lump people who don't think like you into groups, call them names and then talk down to them.

The whole "we're better than you are" thing is a little extreme for me.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
When was the last time you heard a tea party person standing up for the 16th amendment?
Here, I'll throw you a bone.

I'll stand up for the 16th Amendment right here, right now.

Here's what your "news" outlets don't tell you, and what you have failed to find out when conducting your own research (which I'm sure you did):

Taxes are a necessary part of a functioning government. Nobody with any authority in the Tea Party movement is calling for a repeal of the 16th. Nobody with any authority in the Tea Party movement is saying that there should be NO taxes. Sure, you can find that one guy in a crowd of thousands with a sign that says otherwise, but that person is not representative of those thousands, or the hundreds of thousands/millions that espouse the Tea Party principles, any more than the members of the Communist Party at a liberal-cause rally represent the entire left wing. To use that one person to paint the entire movement is dishonest, and you know it, as does everybody (many on this forum included) that does it. Don't be one of those lying bags of crap. Debate honestly.

The problem that the Tea Party has with regard to taxes isn't the concept of taxation, it's the wasteful spending of the taxes being levied. If the wasteful spending is cut, people would be able keep more of what they earn. It's a simple concept that seems to have been lost amidst the sea of anti-Tea Party rhetoric, and one that most people - regardless of political persuasion - agree with, whether they'll admit it or not.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I have heard of several tea party folks claim the 16th amendment is not legitimate. Not to mention other tea party folks claiming that if elections don't work people might turn to "second amendment remedies." The constitution has a large section and several amendments as to how elections should be conducted an none of them has anything to do with getting your guns if you don't like who wins.

Also there are the vast number of Tea party folks I have heard that want to use unconstitutional methods to stop the NY Islamic community center.

Oh and of course there have been a great deal of tea party people I have heard suggesting that there should be one or another type of bill of attainder against Obama.
People in this country are allowed their opinion and since I cant prove they did say that or didnt.

I attend tea parties and never ever heard anyone say that. I"ve never heard anyone say there should be no taxes or taking up arms to solve our countries problems.

Do you think everything any democrat says speaks for you? Since you seem to think something someone else might have said speaks for all tea party members?

I am a tea party member and I am telling you that we are not saying there should be no taxes just that we shouldnt be taxed to the level we are. When taxes make you not want to improve there is a problem. When you cant leave your earning to family w/o being taxes to death there is a problem. When we are working over 100 days a year to pay for gov spending there is a problem.

If I have to live on a budget so should the federal gov.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Here, I'll throw you a bone.

I'll stand up for the 16th Amendment right here, right now.

Here's what your "news" outlets don't tell you, and what you have failed to find out when conducting your own research (which I'm sure you did):

Taxes are a necessary part of a functioning government. Nobody with any authority in the Tea Party movement is calling for a repeal of the 16th. Nobody with any authority in the Tea Party movement is saying that there should be NO taxes. Sure, you can find that one guy in a crowd of thousands with a sign that says otherwise, but that person is not representative of those thousands, or the hundreds of thousands/millions that espouse the Tea Party principles. To use that one person to paint the entire movement is dishonest, and you know it, as does everybody (many on this forum included) that does it. Don't be one of those lying bags of crap. Debate honestly.

The problem that the Tea Party has with regard to taxes isn't the concept of taxation, it's the wasteful spending of the taxes being levied. If the wasteful spending is cut, people would be able keep more of what they earn. It's a simple concept that seems to have been lost amidst the sea of anti-Tea Party rhetoric, and one that most people - regardless of political persuasion - agree with, whether they'll admit it or not.
I take it you have not ran into the "Not ratified" crowd then.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:54 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No, Jadex, it is for this thread. That is a lovely attempt to deflect. I applaud your stage performance.

If the tea party is for these things than they must obviously believe that it is not being followed now. The extremism is an extension of the inability to articulate what the problem is and to address the problem within the framework of the constitution. THIS IS WHY.
There is no room for Marxism within the framework of the Constitution. THIS IS WHY!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
If you really wanted an answer, you probably should have been a little more tactful in your opening. But your post is why I dislike certain aspects of the tea party; the tendency to lump people who don't think like you into groups, call them names and then talk down to them.

The whole "we're better than you are" thing is a little extreme for me.
Wow I feel that " we're better than you are" from the left all the time. How many times do you hear the left We are the educated ones. The right is just a bunch of redneck ignorant hillbillies. We are the intelligent group. If that isnt " we're better than you" I dont know what is

Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There is no room for Marxism within the framework of the Constitution. THIS IS WHY!
Where do you find marxism and be specific?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies