Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 03:04 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
No, they weren't! I live in a country which was part of the Roman empire and the indigenous population was almost extinct but the Romans weren't seen as barbarians. Dacia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Should the Romanians move in the land of their neighbors and say that they do it because their ancestors owned the land? Do you think that such thing is possible in Europe?
I am German and to us Romans have always been barbarians. We consider the Germanic tribes as the good people who saved Europe from the barbarians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am German and to us Romans have always been barbarians. We consider the Germanic tribes as the good people who saves Europe from the barbarians
That's funny, who in Europe has Germany, not invaded?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
I see it differently. To me it looks like: Now that we have what we wanted, we change the rules so nobody can challenge the status quo that benefits us.
The polices of old were for a particular place and time. The needs and situation of that particular place in time. The US used to encourage immigration without limit to "fillup" the continent with people. These days? We're full up. We want and encourage people who have NEEDED SKILLS (tons of people from China and India come here because of their tech skills), as well as people who can invest in America. We also want to make sure people who DO come here aren't criminals, welfare cases or those that would harm this country.

We also have LEGAL ways to fill up NEED for unskilled labor. However, most illegals circumvent those methods.

Again: Would YOU open up your house to any bum off the streets who wants to sleep on your couch? If you want a roommate, don't you post an ad, ask for half the rent and screen that person for compatibility and cleanliness? What if you had no choice? I mean, you've already secured YOUR entry into the property, aren't you being a hypocrite and self-serving if you don't let a complete stranger come in and set up a bed in your living room without your consent? What if his great-great-great grandfather used to live in a hut on the very location your home is now located?

Old 09-22-2010, 03:09 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,025 times
Quote:
I am German and to us Romans have always been barbarians. We consider the Germanic tribes as the good people who saves Europe from the barbarians
I'm German too and I never seen the Romans as invaders but as a superior culture that helped at the development of our nation!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 PM

To reply to all those individual posts at the same time:
To me the ultimate goal is a world without borders. Borders only lead to great economic and other divides that produce pressure that will lead to violence. Similar to plate tectonics

Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,025 times
Quote:
To me the ultimate goal is a world without borders. Borders only lead to great economic and other divides that produce pressure that will lead to violence. Similar to plate tectonics
That's not possible and not practical!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:

No thank you. Good borders make good neighbors.

Humans are tribalistic. What you're actually advocating is the eradication of the diversity of culture and custom in the world.... basically everything that makes life and the world interesting.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
I'm German too and I never seen the Romans as invaders but as a superior culture that helped at the development of our nation!
I have never seen it that way. When I look at modern Europe I can't help but notice that Germanic regions are superior to 'Roman' ones I can tell because I live in a 'Roman' country now.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:13 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
There will always be violence as long as there are people, or animals.
Just wishing something, does not make it true.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No, they really aren't. They think they are being clever when they talk about the country being founded in 1776 and Mexico as an independent country later, but, completely ignore the fact that what is now Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc. were not considered part of the U.S. that was founded in 1776 and still were not until some time after Mexico gained its independence from Spain. The town noted below is just ten minutes from me:
If you read back I did not ignore that fact. I did in fact point it out. How ever the established Mexican Government agreed to the borders with the Louisiana Purchase and later redefined them in the Texas war of Independence.
Again Christopher Columbus: 1492. Mayflower:1620. Louisiana Purchase: 1803. Mexico declared its independence: 1821. Texas war of Independence: 1836.
The fact is before 1776 and 1820 there were mo U. S citizen (British Colonists) or Mexican Citizens (New Spaniards).While Christopher Columbus was here first the borders and the structured societies in question were not even in existence and they were patriated at such a close date that it is inconsequential.
The point is that the President was simply pandering to the crowd by saying they were here first something he continually dose then refuses to hold himself accountable for. It's called a sales pitch. Each time he tries to make the sale he changes thing to match what the audience wants to hear.
By the way if you ever get a chance to call a Spaniard a Mexican I suggest you prepare to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies