Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,676,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Wrong, you act like the state is forcing a woman to have sex against her will and have a child, like in the handmaid's tale.. The state is PREVENTING her from unnaturally terminating a natural process.
Actually, about 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. Miscarriage is a natural process, with abortion it's simply induced knowingly.

Quote:
Oh, so women are beyond being expected to obey laws? Should rape and murder be legalized becuase they'll just do it anyways?
Many people break laws if they find the law robs them of their rights. Even when abortion was illegal, women still received them. They just did it under the guise of treating 'stomach issues' or 'women problems'. Rape and murder hurt another sentient being... how can you compare those two to having an induced miscarriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,404,189 times
I'm pro-choice but I was a little shocked to find out that in NJ abortions were covered by Medicaid. I think this was a good move.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,314,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Inconvenience? Let me guess...you're not a woman.
Gee, what gave it away, the name? We've established yo uare a woman. Please tell me your user name doesn't mean you are a fighter pilot.
Quote:
Do you have any idea how pregnancy affects the body for the rest of a woman's life? Not just aesthetically, but internally? You're asking a woman to go through a pregnancy, possibly die during childbirth all to make you feel warm and fuzzy that you 'saved' a child? Now what if that mother asks for WIC, or welfare, or section 8? I'm sure that because she was forced to incubate and have that child that you're more than happy to support her and her 'little miracle', right?
First, in the US (which is the scope we are talking about) it is far more lifethrreatening to have an abortion than a live birth. Complications from an abortion are greater than from a live birth as well. So, if yo uwant to argue the affects to the mother's body (an extremely sefish argument if there ever was one) then you're argument is dead in the water on the facts.
WIC, welfare, section 8 are poorly implemented programs designed to breed dependence. Those and other solutions need to be looked into and better solutions made. However, you are missing one very important point. Nowhere did I ever assume that the woman would be allowed to KEEP the baby that she didn't want and, in your scenario, can't afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It remains legal as you cannot force a woman to transplant her fetus.
Why not? The government uses child protective services to take children away from parents who endanger their wellfare all the time. I'd say attempting to kill them in the womb certainly counts as 'endangering their wellfare'.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM

68,353 posts, read 54,549,829 times
Quote:
If they weren't raped, then there are consequences for actions, are they not, or should everyone be able to kill things that are not convient to them?

You enable irresponsibility. I'm not one of those people who thinks abortion shouldn't be allowed for rape or the life of the mother. I have a problem with it being used as a form of birth contorl, which just enables irresponsible behavior.

What's truly irresponsible is wanting to put what should be a personal medical/moral decison in the hands of goverment.

Just the typical hypocrisy of the right who despite claims of favoring less government are right on the front lines beating the drums for more when it suits their agenda.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,316,813 times
I hope the remaining medical community in NJ can pick up the slack. PP has quite a cilent base that has nothing to do with abortions and those people will be going elsewhere and needing free and/or reduced care now.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:59 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,673,195 times
Quote:
Oh, so women are beyond being expected to obey laws? Should rape and murder be legalized becuase they'll just do it anyways?
Back in the days when abortion was illegal, I had one. I didn't want to have it, but my husband forced me to.

Guess where I had the abortion?

Washington, D.C. I think it was on J Street.

Prostitutes were going in and out like the place had a revolving door.

The abortionist was a man. The doctor in my home state who gave us the information was a man. So, I think you should amend your statement to read "Oh, so women and men are beyond..."

I am not against abortion if a woman chooses to have one, however, needless to say, my marriage didn't last too long after that experience.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,249,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What's truly irresponsible is wanting to put what should be a personal medical/moral decison in the hands of goverment.

Just the typical hypocrisy of the right who despite claims of favoring less government are right on the front lines beating the drums for more when it suits their agenda.
You can't donate an organ to just anyone.

You cannot sell an organ

So why should you be able to kill your child because it's not convenient to you?

I have to sing a log book just to buy sinus medicine, yet you can kill your child?

A 13 year old boy cannot even get stitches in a hospital without parent CONSENT, yet a 13 year old girl can get an abortion without even parential notification, let alone CONSENT.

Why the huge double standards?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,249,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Back in the days when abortion was illegal, I had one. I didn't want to have it, but my husband forced me to.

Guess where I had the abortion?

Washington, D.C. I think it was on J Street.

Prostitutes were going in and out like the place had a revolving door.

The abortionist was a man. The doctor in my home state who gave us the information was a man. So, I think you should amend your statement to read "Oh, so women and men are beyond..."

I am not against abortion if a woman chooses to have one, however, needless to say, my marriage didn't last too long after that experience.

There is no J Street in DC other than a lobbyist group with that name.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

We (conservatives) DO believe in less and a more limited government but that doesn't mean we are for NO government. There are still some roles for government and I think protecting the lives of all its citizens (not convited of a major crime) is one of those roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I am truely sorry to hear of your experience. It most have been terrible. The position of pro-/against abortion does not fall along gender lines. As your case shows selfish men have as much to gain from abortions as selfish women.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
You can't donate an organ to just anyone.

You cannot sell an organ

So why should you be able to kill your child because it's not convenient to you?

I have to sing a log book just to buy sinus medicine, yet you can kill your child?

A 13 year old boy cannot even get stitches in a hospital without parent CONSENT, yet a 13 year old girl can get an abortion without even parential notification, let alone CONSENT.

Why the huge double standards?
Well said. Add to that list that there are more regulations on animal clinics than there re for abortion mills. I guess the animals have beeter lobbists than the unborn babies do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies