Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Gee, what gave it away, the name? We've established yo uare a woman. Please tell me your user name doesn't mean you are a fighter pilot.

First, in the US (which is the scope we are talking about) it is far more lifethrreatening to have an abortion than a live birth. Complications from an abortion are greater than from a live birth as well. So, if yo uwant to argue the affects to the mother's body (an extremely sefish argument if there ever was one) then you're argument is dead in the water on the facts.
WIC, welfare, section 8 are poorly implemented programs designed to breed dependence. Those and other solutions need to be looked into and better solutions made. However, you are missing one very important point. Nowhere did I ever assume that the woman would be allowed to KEEP the baby that she didn't want and, in your scenario, can't afford.
Nope, not a fighter pilot, merely a enthusiast who's main hobby is flying and works in the aviation industry.

Do you have any stats (and not from a blatantly pro life source, as neutral as possible please) for your argument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
First, in the US (which is the scope we are talking about) it is far more lifethrreatening to have an abortion than a live birth. Complications from an abortion are greater than from a live birth as well. So, if yo uwant to argue the affects to the mother's body (an extremely sefish argument if there ever was one) then you're argument is dead in the water on the facts.
This is nonsense. You need to provide some facts from a reputable scientific source to back this up.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Well said. Add to that list that there are more regulations on animal clinics than there re for abortion mills. I guess the animals have beeter lobbists than the unborn babies do.
What kind of regulations, if I may?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Back in the days when abortion was illegal, I had one. I didn't want to have it, but my husband forced me to.

Guess where I had the abortion?

Washington, D.C. I think it was on J Street.

Prostitutes were going in and out like the place had a revolving door.

The abortionist was a man. The doctor in my home state who gave us the information was a man. So, I think you should amend your statement to read "Oh, so women and men are beyond..."

I am not against abortion if a woman chooses to have one, however, needless to say, my marriage didn't last too long after that experience.
I'm sorry for your experience. My oldest sister had the same. Her husband forced her into the abortion and then 20 years later, after all of her invested time, he left her for another woman. She could have three children to take care of her today.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:20 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I'm sorry for your experience. My oldest sister had the same. Her husband forced her into the abortion and then 20 years later, after all of her invested time, he left her for another woman. She could have three children to take care of her today.
YOu people are buying that story like it actually happened. the street she claimed it happened on doesn't even exist. There is no J Street in Washington, DC.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:22 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
You can't donate an organ to just anyone.

You cannot sell an organ

So why should you be able to kill your child because it's not convenient to you?

I have to sing a log book just to buy sinus medicine, yet you can kill your child?

A 13 year old boy cannot even get stitches in a hospital without parent CONSENT, yet a 13 year old girl can get an abortion without even parential notification, let alone CONSENT.

Why the huge double standards?
You've obviously never been pregnant or you'd never, ever describe pregnancy that way. You've never felt the need to throw up for weeks at a time, never suffered heartburn so badly you literally had to lie down for hours on and pray it would go away, never gone through labor pains for hours on end in pure agony gasping for air between contractions.

Pregnancy is the single hardest physical thing most people will do. Let's not pretend otherwise.

A woman's very private and very important reproductive decisions are between her and her doctor not between her and the local Republican party.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
YOu people are buying that story like it actually happened. the street she claimed it happened on doesn't even exist. There is no J Street in Washington, DC.
I wasn't addressing "J Street". I was addressing the similar past experience that my sister had.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
You've obviously never been pregnant or you'd never, ever describe pregnancy that way. You've never felt the need to throw up for weeks at a time, never suffered heartburn so badly you literally had to lie down for hours on and pray it would go away, never gone through labor pains for hours on end in pure agony gasping for air between contractions.

Pregnancy is the single hardest physical thing most people will do. Let's not pretend otherwise.

A woman's very private and very important reproductive decisions are between her and her doctor not between her and the local Republican party.
I've had cancer, don't tell me what I know and do not know.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I wasn't addressing "J Street". I was addressing the similar past experience that my sister had.
But if Fox Terrier's situation never took place, your sister didn't have a similiar situation. She had her own situation.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What's truly irresponsible is wanting to put what should be a personal medical/moral decison in the hands of goverment.

Just the typical hypocrisy of the right who despite claims of favoring less government are right on the front lines beating the drums for more when it suits their agenda.
Yep. They don't want people to have abortions and don't want them to have access to contraceptives to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

They don't want people to 'kill' embryos and they don't want health care provided to pregnant women to ensure that they have successful pregnancies.

They defend the practices of the insurance companies so are not in the least interested in ensuring that people have affordable health care that would take the place of the services that PP provides.

They defend CEO salaries all the while suggesting that people who want to earn more than minimum wage at jobs that provide benefits are 'greedy' and yet still cannot fathom why anyone would need low- or no-cost health care.

They decry socialized medicine in Europe and seem to think it is okay that the U.S. is 29th in the world for infant mortality, that maternal deaths have doubled in the past twenty years, and that the risk of maternal death is greater in the U.S. than it is in 40 other countries.

By all means, do keep applauding those who continue to deny women health services.

Doubling of maternal deaths in U.S. 'scandalous,' rights group says - CNN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies