Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:49 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,063,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
All fallacies by pro-"choicers". I never knew friends/family to have back alley abortions and coathanger deaths, they had their babies. They kept them or gave them up for adoption like my cousin did twice.
what a self absorbed answer. because you didn't know anyone who died or had a back alley abortion they are fallacies? you may not but I do know a woman who died from a self inflicted abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
So don't argue with conservatives anymore who say that war of choice is ok, capital punishment is jury choice, assisted suicide is doctor choice, etc etc etc.

assisted suicide is not soley the doctor's choice

Liberals have no basis to argue with conservatives anymore on ANY Right to Life issues anymore, and vice versa. Someone else's life is always someone else's "CHOICE".
agreed, when the life can sustain itself and not dependent in a womb.
Quote:
Right to Life begins with LIFE.
Quote:
My hubby's mother committed suicide after her hubby forced her to have a legal abortion.
your MIL had other choices, she could have said no to an abortion. she could have left her husband went to a woman's shelter and started her life over again with her child if she had really wanted to have the baby and keep it.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,586,434 times
Quote:
My hubby's mother committed suicide after her hubby forced her to have a legal abortion.
So what? Who cares? She didn't have too. NO ONE can force a woman to have an abortion. And if she didn't want to live, that is ok. Let her die. Her CHOICE to live or die.

And by the way, go vote in my poll. How much money are you willing to give up to save the "unborn", "prolifer"? You commented in it so why didn't you vote? Chickening out once it comes to money?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times
Quote:
I don't mean to throw this thread off, but I have always wondered why the phrase "pro-choice"? That suggests I could have elective surgery to cut off my right arm, my choice!

Roe v Wade opened up a can of worms. Now stem cell research is a debate, DUE to "pro-choice".
When does killing and cutting off body parts by choice stop?
Perhaps you are too young to have been an adult, or even a woman of childbearing age before Roe v Wade. The advocates for legalizing abortion first called themselves "pro-abortion". Those against it were "anti-abortion". Both groups criticized the others' choice of names. Pretty soon it became "pro-choice" and "pro-life". But yeah, it does boil down to being in favor or against abortion.

"Elective" surgeries are generally surgeries to treat non-life threatening conditions. One example from my misspent young nurse years is "elective hysterectomy", generally done in the 70s for such conditions as "bleeding", fibroids, painful periods, etc. We were discussing this one night at the nurses' station, and a couple of us posited that some of these hysts were actually being done for birth control. You could probably call a tonsillectomy "elective" in most cases, certainly circumcisions. Just a few examples.

Quote:
I am aware that blackmarket is real, but the idea of an illegal abortion clinic behind every Starbuck's IS a myth
When I was well into adulthood, my mother told me a story that she had kept private for many years. A neighbor, whose husband ran a shoe-repair business, told my mom she (neighbor) knew that when she died she would go straight to hell (she was a devout Catholic) because she was running an abortion clinic behind her husband's shop.

Quote:
Isn't it ironic that phrase is only used for abortions, and plastic surgery?
See above.

Quote:
Abortions INCREASED when they became legal:

Abortion Statistics

"...The national legal induced abortion ratio increased from 196 per 1,000 live births in 1973 (the first year that 52 areas reported) to 358 per 1,000 live births in 1979 and remained nearly stable through 1981. The ratio peaked at 364 per 1,000 live births in 1984 and since then has shown a nearly steady decline. In 2000, the abortion ratio was 245 per 1,000 live births in 49 reporting areas and 246 for the same 48 reporting areas available for 1999. This represents a 3.8% decrease from 1999 (256 per 1,000 live births) for the 48 reporting areas (6)..."
Well, yeah. Before it was legal there should have theorhetically been zero abortions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
No but it has increased funding the cover the medical cost of the illnesses associated with cigarette smoking.
I receive the American Journal of Public Health and they have lots of articles about the relationship of cigarettes to cig. tax. Most studies show that increasing the tax does decrease consumption of cigs, especially in younger people.

Quote:
Again, I gave scientific encyclopedic links, NOT dictionary links, so you intentionally misrepresent my presentation.

You have no sword, since you have no scientific sources on which to base your argument.
That is why you have presented NO sources!
Sorry, but your links came from wikipedia, a general encyclopedia, not a scientific source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
And one lib judge would afgree with them and that would be the end of that.
Why even bother having a congress when our dictator-masters-in-robes can decide everything for us.

I have no problem with that. Responsibility should be shared. However, RIGHTS are tied to RESPONSIBILITY. If we hold fathers equally responsible (a position I agree with) then we must give them equal say in decided what happens to that unborn baby. Unfortunately, we'd end up with a lot of tie votes in most cases. Still better than now where the father has no rights.
Actually, I have heard of fathers insisting the woman get an abortion.

Quote:
All fallacies by pro-"choicers". I never knew friends/family to have back alley abortions and coathanger deaths, they had their babies. They kept them or gave them up for adoption like my cousin did twice.
See my response about the abortion clinic behind the shoe repair shop. This was in the early 50s, when few forms of birth control were available. I know some people who relinquished; they were usually teens. Married women did not usually go that route.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:59 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,246,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what a self absorbed answer. because you didn't know anyone who died or had a back alley abortion they are fallacies? you may not but I do know a woman who died from a self inflicted abortion.
Isn't having an abortion not in the case of rape or life of the mother the definition of being self absorbed? So self absorbed you'd kill our own offspring because it's not convenient?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
agreed, when the life can sustain itself and not dependent in a womb.

your MIL had other choices, she could have said no to an abortion. she could have left her husband went to a woman's shelter and started her life over again with her child if she had really wanted to have the baby and keep it.
Viability will become earlier and earlier with medical breakthroughs. What happens if the fetus would be viable outside of the womb after two weeks?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Isn't having an abortion not in the case of rape or life of the mother the definition of being self absorbed? So self absorbed you'd kill our own offspring because it's not convenient?
sure you could have a narrow view and see it that way. it is a judgmental way of looking at someone else life but I will agree. it is her body she can be cavalier with it if she wants to

Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Viability will become earlier and earlier with medical breakthroughs. What happens if the fetus would be viable outside of the womb after two weeks?
yeah...in the year 5555 if man is still alive....isn't that a song? this will never happen in our lifetime why even argue it? if a fetus can survive outside the womb and be healthy then IMO there are other things to consider. until viability the woman is in control of her reproductive system

Old 09-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
yeah...in the year 5555 if man is still alive....isn't that a song? this will never happen in our lifetime why even argue it? if a fetus can survive outside the womb and be healthy then IMO there are other things to consider. until viability the woman is in control of her reproductive system
How do you know that? Do you think your parents ever expected man to land on the moon when they were young? Technology is advancing even more rapidly..

What happens when viability is at two weeks?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
sure you could have a narrow view and see it that way. it is a judgmental way of looking at someone else life but I will agree. it is her body she can be cavalier with it if she wants to
I'm the one being narrow?

I'm not the one who considers killing my own child because it's not convenient to me as an option! Who am I killing??

Pro choicers are sociopathically self absorbed. They cannot even contemplate why it's wrong to kill their own child becuase they only care about what they want. That's why sociopaths kill people, because they don't care about the other person, they just want whatever thrill it gives them. They only are concerned about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies