Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What it does is make us more and more and more dependent upon the GOVERNMENT to solve problems we should learn how to solve ourselves.
How in the hell do you go about "solving" paying for a transplant because you could get health insurance due to a totally unrelated health problem?

Quote:
I don't like being a weak pawn of the government.
Better to be a weak pawn of government than a dead chump of health insurance companies.

Quote:
I am so surprised that so many people are willing to give up their independence because they are "afraid" of some big boogey man.
I suppose for some, death is the ultimate freedom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Okay, let's say you have liver cirrhosis. You need a liver transplant, which will cost $500K upwards. Try solving that problem yourself.
The question is why do you have this disease in the first place? What are you doing about your lifestyle choices to prevent this kind of thing? Why should *I* pay (through my taxes) for your bad lifestyle choices?

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-25-2010, 06:53 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You actually believe that they wrote the bill? Oh, hahaha, wow. You are gullible.
Yes, Congress actually wrote the bill. The main bill was wrote by the Senate finance committee, and was amended by the full Senate and then amended further by the House.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:59 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,526,043 times
Quote:
The question is why do you have this disease in the first place? What are you doing about your lifestyle choices to prevent this kind of thing? Why should *I* pay (through my taxes) for your bad lifestyle choices?

20yrsinBranson
Well sh-t happens. Liver cirrhosis is not necessarily a lifestyle-caused disease. You could have inherited it from your parents (lots of genetic diseases out there that cause cirrhosis). What lifestyle choice should one have made? Wish you weren't born?

Now going back to what you said about solving the problem. Show us how you'd solve your problem of the failing liver that needs a $500K transplant to fix.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Bascailly lokig at when it was being wrote ;it became clear that no one include democartivc specail interest really want to pay anyhting towards it. What showed was that really all wanted the cost to be solely paid by someone else other than their selfs to any degree.In the end the funding has become a shell game with little funding to really finance iteve has written. those who see part of the mandates i their insurance see it not getting cheaper for the individual but going up.That is even lookig at the effect o new hires who face a completely different system ;especially if they retire before 65. and medicare.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
What about those who get cancer through no fault of their own? Those that have genetic disorders through no fault of their own? People always say 'well, it won't happen to me' and then their child gets diagnosed with Leukemia, or Gaucher's or Fabry's disease.

That's what happened to my family...they went from a 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' family to a 'holy crap what now' family.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm disappointed in the law, but it's a good first step.
That's exactly right.

There's been talk of health care reform for decades, but that's all that ever happened ... talk. Finally, a bill was passed and signed into law. It doesn't go nearly far enough, but it goes much, much further than just "talk."

There's not much in the current bill that I don't like, but I sure would like to see some additional measures ... especially a public option, for the cost savings aspect as well as a means of providing much-needed competition for existing health care insurance companies.

A good first step.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:07 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
That's exactly right.

There's been talk of health care reform for decades, but that's all that ever happened ... talk. Finally, a bill was passed and signed into law. It doesn't go nearly far enough, but it goes much, much further than just "talk."

There's not much in the current bill that I don't like, but I sure would like to see some additional measures ... especially a public option, for the cost savings aspect as well as a means of providing much-needed competition for existing health care insurance companies.

A good first step.
Exactly. I'm a progressive. I want to see a public option for everyone. We got our foot in the door and then we can go from there.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Well sh-t happens. Liver cirrhosis is not necessarily a lifestyle-caused disease. You could have inherited it from your parents (lots of genetic diseases out there that cause cirrhosis). What lifestyle choice should one have made? Wish you weren't born?

Now going back to what you said about solving the problem. Show us how you'd solve your problem of the failing liver that needs a $500K transplant to fix.
Oddly enough, the human liver has a nearly miraculous ability to regenerate. If I were facing a diagnosis such as this, first I would consult a holistic or naturopathic physician, reduce my exposure to chemicals, do a liver cleanse (Andreas Moritz welcomes you to Ener-Chi Wellness Center: Your Trusted Source of Natural Healing Methods), increase my intake of vital nutrients both through supplementation and increase my intake of raw, natural vegetables and fruits, increase my intake of Milk Thistle which supports liver health, get lots of sleep and reduce my stress levels.

By the way, hereditary conditions do not GUARANTEE that you will develop the disease. Only that they are perhaps more prone to it. Therefore, someone who has a family history of something should work THAT MUCH HARDER to avoid it through their lifestyle choices.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-25-2010, 07:25 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Yes, Congress actually wrote the bill. The main bill was wrote by the Senate finance committee, and was amended by the full Senate and then amended further by the House.
You did not take PoliSci in college, did you?

Baucus Thanks Wellpoint VP Liz Fowler for Writing Health Care Bill | FDL Action

You may also want to research the Apollo Alliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies